Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS not working after SYNC3 update

DuncanJones

30 minutes ago, Jus1973 said:

Unfortunately my car is set to install updates over the air, presumably from either the dealer, or previous owner, and TBH I didn’t even think to check before everything went wrong.  Good info on the APIM module code.  How do you find out yours?  Do you have to use forscan or something similar.  I don’t have any of those.

FORScan will show details of all Modules installed, also if you register as an independent operator with ETIS you can also find out. Yours is likely to be 3U5T and I think on the earlier build cars there are differences with the way some things relating to the APIM, TCU and ACM work but I don't have full details.

I also remember reading on this forum a while back, when I first got my new car that people were being advised not to have Wi Fi updates enabled because of problems although I did read later on that the problem was fixed. I also think that it may just have just applied to earlier build cars, maybe someone else will be able to provide more details than me.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:19 PM, Jus1973 said:

Unfortunately my car is set to install updates over the air, presumably from either the dealer, or previous owner, and TBH I didn’t even think to check before everything went wrong.  Good info on the APIM module code.  How do you find out yours?  Do you have to use forscan or something similar.  I don’t have any of those.

I found out my APIM part number from the diagnostics. After you turn on sync if you press simultaneously the fast forward button on the head unit and the steering wheel it will bring up the tone test. I think the volume must be at least one for this to work. Then if I remember correctly, you press "end test", to end the speaker tone test and it will take you back to the diagnostics menu or you might need to press the return at the upper left corner. From there I think you select APIM diagnostics and then Part Numbers.

• Like 2

Mine was built in May 2019 and the APIM starts with 4U5T so your one must have been an earlier build. FORScan shows 5UST as the latest build. My car took the updates without any problems, so it may be the earlier builds that are causing the problems.

That's interesting. I've got a 68plate, built Dec 2018 and been holding off on the update. Checking on ETIS my APIM is a 4U5T so it looks like it should be ok.

1 hour ago, ianincheshire said:

That's interesting. I've got a 68plate, built Dec 2018 and been holding off on the update. Checking on ETIS my APIM is a 4U5T so it looks like it should be ok.

I would hold off.  I’ve just checked mine using the diagnostics above, and its 4U5T.  Maybe its not just a simple module thing, but a combo?

Thanks for the info.

Had car in at ford dealership all day and guess what they could not fix the issue, as part is now on back order from Germany.

I have assembly part number 3U5T and hardware part number 1U5T. It's booked into dealers next week. 

My dealer told me the part is on back order, and it’ll be at least another week before any are available, possibly longer.  I guess there is a world wide chip shortage, and Ford havent got that many spares knocking about.

Glad I found this post. 

Got a 2019 Fiesta with exactly the same issue. Started a while back right enough where the on board nav or waze wouldn't pick up where I actually was and kept telling me I was at my work. I'm guessing Google maps uses the phone rather than the GPS in the car as it still works OK. 

I updated last week thinking it'd sort itself out and nothing. 

Checked the test menu today and picks up a grand total of 2 satellites compared to about 15 or so on my new smax! 

Needs a service and still under warranty so aiming to get it in at the end of the week. I'll report back after I've spoken to them. 

I think that’s the first fiesta I’ve heard about.  We’ve a 67 plate and have held off upgrading due to this.  My 68 plate focus still isn’t fixed yet either. Not fords finest hour!

So, spoke to FordUK on twitter today. Their response was "you need to update your map package, it showing as not updated".
Personally I'm not convinced that will solve the problem but they're not interested unless I update it.
It's also now booked into the dealer for its 30000 mile service on Friday, with the addition of fix the ***** auto start stop thats been bust since the 10000 mile service and check the GPS/ update the map as I currently have nothing to put a 23Gb file on (not withstanding I don't have 80 minutes to spare to install the ***** file!).
We'll see how that pans out.

Has anyone else got the satellite info from their sync3 test area? I've attached the partial output from mine to see if it compares to anyone elses. That to me suggests its definitely not a software issue!

20210727_153839.jpg

Welcome to the Ford Owners Club 👍

20 hours ago, Snab said:

fix the ***** auto start stop

Thats FUNNY 🤣 They can't fix it - It just doesn't work !! The very best that will happen is they will charge your battery and it will work again for a couple of weeks.

If you have a spare week or two read some posts on here just search "Start Stop"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Welcome to the Ford Owners Club 👍

Thats FUNNY 🤣 They can't fix it - It just doesn't work !! The very best that will happen is they will charge your battery and it will work again for a couple of weeks.

If you have a spare week or two read some posts on here just search "Start Stop"

They probably could fix it if Ford technicians were f*****g intelligent enough. I had the displeasure of ‘talking’ to one today..

They've not managed in the last 2 attempts so I'm not holding my breath, it's more than the auto start stop though. It regularly tells me it's shutting down to save battery

Anyway, GPS update, no questions asked by the dealer. They checked the GPS, agreed it was broken and have ordered a new aerial fin for the roof. 

4 minutes ago, Snab said:

it's more than the auto start stop though. It regularly tells me it's shutting down to save battery. 

It's all part of the same problem. Your battery hasn't got enough charge. You are probably not doing enough miles and not using your car often enough to keep the battery above the 80% charge needed.

The only real answer is to put the car battery on a trickle charger if you don't use it for a few days.

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

The only real answer is to put the car battery on a trickle charger if you don't use it for a few days.

I've said this before, but if that really is the only way to get a Ford to work, they should provide every car with a free trickle charger for that purpose...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Used HarryK’s advice above, I found leaving the speaker test to complete automatically went to the screen to access APIM, etc. My Focus built early 2019 and APIM assembly part number is 4U5T, CCPU S/W part number is 5U5T. Still think I will hold off updating for a while 

My Focus (68 plate) has done the same, it updated yesterday and this morning "no gps" and the position is frozen at my house, even after travelling to work. I guess it's a call to the dealer?

1 hour ago, mkdonspaul said:

My Focus (68 plate) has done the same, it updated yesterday and this morning "no gps" and the position is frozen

Well in the words of "Queen"

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone and another one gone

I would have expected by now that Ford would have pulled the update off the site. Yes it is probably a trip to the dealer and a long list of bulls###. Then of course they will expect you to pay !!

5 hours ago, unofix said:

Well in the words of "Queen"

And another one gone and another one gone

I would have expected by now that Ford would have pulled the update off the site. Yes it is probably a trip to the dealer and a long list of bulls###. Then of course they will expect you to pay !!

Well technically if they push out faulty updates then it's their fault, but I'll contact my local dealer to ask.

Thanks for the info!

You could try a Master reset, then download from Cyan-Labs use the 'format' tool to blank your Sync3 and reinstall using Cyan-labs files.

If your APIM has been turned in to a cabbage by using the Ford update then it might be too late to fix it.

I have an ST3 2016, which I upgraded from SYNC 2 to SYNC 3.

I have used Cyanlabs for all my updates, from SYNC 3, software version: 3.0 Build 19205 (Navigation F9) to the latest SYNC 3, software version: 3.4 Build 21194 (Navigation F10).

After the install of Build 21194, I had the No GPS logo (like a no entry road-sign) appear on the Nav screen. It remained, even after a Master Reset.

I carried out a reinstall of the previous 21098 (Navigation F10), and everything is back to working fine.

17 hours ago, mkdonspaul said:

Well technically if they push out faulty updates then it's their fault, but I'll contact my local dealer to ask.

Thanks for the info!

Spoke to my local Ford dealer, they said they can't advise over the phone (no one there to have a chat with) and would need it in to have a look, it's due for a health check next month so will take it in. System is on sync 3.4, still no GPS...will have to live with it for the time being.

My car was in last week for sync GPS issue, after an hour I was called to say:

• it’s an issue Ford is aware of

• there is no current fix 

• Ford is working on an update which will fix issue, so to watch out for sync update on Ford site

I also have this logged as issue with Ford CRC team as my car will be out of warranty potentially by the time possible fix comes and they have offered voucher if it can’t be fixed under warranty or by update. 🤷‍♂️
watch this space I guess. 

Hello from Greece

I 'm owner of a focus mk4 1.5 2019 and unfortunatelly faced the same issue after updated via usb. I have to wait till Mondey to contact the official dealer. The car is under warranty so i decided not to try third party solutions like Cyanlabs atal least for now.

I believe that if we could rollback to previous version everything would work again but i prefer to wait. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club