Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS not working after SYNC3 update

DuncanJones

10 hours ago, Gav1980 said:

My car was in last week for sync GPS issue, after an hour I was called to say:

• it’s an issue Ford is aware of

• there is no current fix 

• Ford is working on an update which will fix issue, so to watch out for sync update on Ford site

I also have this logged as issue with Ford CRC team as my car will be out of warranty potentially by the time possible fix comes and they have offered voucher if it can’t be fixed under warranty or by update. 🤷‍♂️
watch this space I guess. 

That’s a really good point.  I’m waiting for a replacement chip which does fix the problem apparently but the car runs out of warranty in the next couple of months and I can see this dragging on.  I’m going to lean on the dealer and say that since the fault was notified under warranty time, they’re legally obligated to fix it, which I know to be the case.

This

After the install of Build 21194, I had the No GPS logo (like a no entry road-sign) appear on the Nav screen. It remained, even after a Master Reset.

I carried out a reinstall of the previous 21098 (Navigation F10), and everything is back to working fine.

and this

Ford is working on an update which will fix issue, so to watch out for sync update on Ford site

would indicate to me that its not a case of the update 'bricking' the unit. More likely that the new version just can't support some versions of hardware.

Has anyone else other than YOG tried a downgrade to 21098 ?

It can be done using the Cyanlabs Syn3 Updater https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/windows-automated-method-update-to-3-4/# .

I believe if you select vn 21098, keep existing maps and then deselect all except the Apps from the package list, then it will produce an update package that will just replace the main App version.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

This

and this

would indicate to me that its not a case of the update 'bricking' the unit. More likely that the new version just can't support some versions of hardware.

It can be done using the Cyanlabs Syn3 Updater https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/windows-automated-method-update-to-3-4/# .

I believe if you select vn 21098, keep existing maps and then deselect all except the Apps from the package list, then it will produce an update package that will just replace the main App version.

You are absolutely right. Is there anybody brave without warranty to give it a try??

Is there anybody brave without warranty to give it a try??

I dont see that still being in warranty is an issue. The Cyanlabs site actually downloads the official Ford software from the actual Ford servers. In my proposal above, all you would be doing is the same as a normal update but to an earlier version, which the Ford site doesnt allow you to do. In fact if someone had retained the files they downloaded from the earlier update to 21098, then they could simply be reapplied.

Some update systems will prevent 'upgrading' to an earlier version but I dont think Sync is that 'clever'. The update mechanism simply replaces the software module from that contained in the 'update' package.

My only thought is that if it is as simple as this , then why cant the garages/Ford do it. I suspect that the Ford Sync update system doesn't have the ability to release specific versions, only the latest, and I guess the garages have a similar problem.

Cyanlabs is using a leaked tool that’s used by the Ford factory to load the initial software. It completely overwrites everything. 

It’s not the same as the update process given to customers by download or the process the Ford dealers use. 

Edit: I should clarify, it does use the same files for the software and maps, it just not the same process. It's why it is able to load 3.4 on to APIM Ford are keeping on 3.0, because it just wipe the storage and starts again, not running any checks the official updates do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ianincheshire said:

.............. I believe if you select vn 21098, keep existing maps and then deselect all except the Apps from the package list, then it will produce an update package that will just replace the main App version...................

When I did mine, I also selected the F10 maps again, in case there had been any slight changes, and for a complete overwrite.

• Like 1

Cyanlabs is using a leaked tool that’s used by the Ford factory to load the initial software. It completely overwrites everything. 

Not if you dont update maps. If you just select the Apps package , then it generates an autoinstall package just like a normal update

10 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

Not if you dont update maps. If you just select the Apps package , then it generates an autoinstall package just like a normal update

Ok, that's changed since I looked at it last.

It must still skip the checks Ford run, as it wouldn't install otherwise for 3.0 to 3.4.

It must still skip the checks Ford run

That is true. It doesnt include the GB5T utilities that run some checks but since all you are doing is reverting the app to a previous version that worked , then the risk is very low.

For example here's the autoinstall it generates for reverting the app back to 21098

; CyanLabs Syn3Updater 2.10.3.0 Stable - Autoinstall Mode - Sync 3.4.21098 EU

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL_PRODUCT]
Item1 = APPS - 5U5T-14G381-ES_1619042260000.TAR.GZ
Open1 = SyncMyRide\5U5T-14G381-ES_1619042260000.TAR.GZ
Options = AutoInstall

If one still has the latest update package it would be relatively simple to generate an update package with just the app changed to 21098. That would still allow it to include the normal checks.

2 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

That is true. It doesnt include the GB5T utilities that run some checks but since all you are doing is reverting the app to a previous version that worked , then the risk is very low.

For example here's the autoinstall it generates for reverting the app back to 21098

If one still has the latest update package it would be relatively simple to generate an update package with just the app changed to 21098. That would still allow it to include the normal checks.

Yeah that's a perfectly valid use case. People just need to be aware when they are making unsupported (by Ford) changes.

I'm all for this tool making things easier, just sometimes it's not good for someone who doesn't know what/why they are doing it.

8 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

This

and this

Possibly has worked for some, but my dealer has essentially done this with my existing unit, and it failed to correct the isssue, and then repeated this with a new unit, which refused to accept any update beyond 3.0.  They had some guy on the phone in Germany trying to get this to work, so perhaps its a case of some can be fixed using a ‘back to manufactured state’  and some not.  Perhaps its related to the different module codes noted in this thread?  

All i know is i want it fixed before i update the wife’s fiesta.

Hello again. My unit is currently updated to 21020 which gave the the well known no gps issue. I have booked my car to be checked in 10 days from now but i am just curious. If i downgraded my unit in a version earlier than 21020 , would it possible solve the problem ? My car is a 2019 focus , but i didn't check what my units version was before upgrading to 21020. Any suggestions ?

3 hours ago, fagotistas said:

Hello again. My unit is currently updated to 21020 which gave the the well known no gps issue. I have booked my car to be checked in 10 days from now but i am just curious. If i downgraded my unit in a version earlier than 21020 , would it possible solve the problem ? My car is a 2019 focus , but i didn't check what my units version was before upgrading to 21020. Any suggestions ?

I forgot to mention that before upgrading to 21020, my units interface was different than after the upgrade , for example the font was different , just to give an idea of how old my previous version was 

2 hours ago, fagotistas said:

I forgot to mention that before upgrading to 21020, my units interface was different than after the upgrade , for example the font was different , just to give an idea of how old my previous version was 

I have some ( i guess ) great news ! I think we can now be sure that this is a software/hardware incompatibility issue and there is not permanent damage to our units by the software upgrades. 

As i mentioned before , the last working ( as a matter of fact , the only one i knew , as i never upgraded since i bought the car ) was a sync 3.3 build and i guess not even the final one . So i held my breath and took my chances to downgrading from 3.4.21020/maps f10 to the last 3.3 available at cyanlabs and , boooooommm, gps working again!!! To say my full truth , i even like the old interface more than the new one . The clock issue is also fixed , i guess because navigation is working again. I am definitely cancelling my appointment to have it checked by Ford , and i will just be around to see if a working 3.4 build that works in every unit will come around.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, fagotistas said:

I have some ( i guess ) great news ! I think we can now be sure that this is a software/hardware incompatibility issue and there is not permanent damage to our units by the software upgrades. 

As i mentioned before , the last working ( as a matter of fact , the only one i knew , as i never upgraded since i bought the car ) was a sync 3.3 build and i guess not even the final one . So i held my breath and took my chances to downgrading from 3.4.21020/maps f10 to the last 3.3 available at cyanlabs and , boooooommm, gps working again!!! To say my full truth , i even like the old interface more than the new one . The clock issue is also fixed , i guess because navigation is working again. I am definitely cancelling my appointment to have it checked by Ford , and i will just be around to see if a working 3.4 build that works in every unit will come around.

Hello from Greece. I did exactly the same process and everything is working again. I am so happy. And working unit and latest maps!!!

Thanks cyanalabs for the great job!!!!

Its useful to know that downgrading restores the GPS. It seems like the dealers dont have the ability (or the technical expertise) to perform a downgrade, so their only option is to replace the unit with the latest hardware which is compatible with the latest software!.

Given Fords past performance on software updates, I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for an update that is compatible with older hardware.

• Like 1

I don't see any strong reason for someone to do whatever possible to have a working 3.4 system instead of 3.3 They have the same capabilities for an average user and not any noticeable difference except for appearance. So for me , since it works with 3.3 , i don't mind sticking with it. From Ford's side , it would be a merchandise disaster if they don't fix the problem , as it affects new cars under warranty and not let's say 10 years old cars. I can not believe they will let cars under 2 years old , with a broken navigation system .

• Like 1

For me the only drawback I can think is that if we stuck at 3.3 we won't be able to load latest maps updates from official Ford site. Don't forget that Ford thinks we have 3.4 release... 

I Just hope cynalabs will continiue supporting us giving the ability to load latest maps in 3.3 release... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fagotistas said:

...I can not believe they will let cars under 2 years old , with a broken navigation system .

You mean the same way the general public just shrug when their SmartPhone no longer gets security updates after 2 years so you have to buy a new one??

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You mean the same way the general public just shrug when their SmartPhone no longer gets security updates after 2 years so you have to buy a new one??

I believe we can not compare these two situations , for so many reasons . 

Just now, fagotistas said:

I believe we can not compare these two situations , for so many reasons . 

What?? You mean like big companies treating their customers like *****? I think they are entirely comparable!

Just now, StephenFord said:

What?? You mean like big companies treating their customers like *****? I think they are entirely comparable!

Ok i will explain. In the smartphone case what they do is that they stop supporting something that continues to work besides that.  In this situation , something that works , gets broken by  company's fault. If these two situations were same or comparable , Ford should say that your sync is more than two years old , so it can not be supported any more , instead of letting a brand new car without one of its main equipment features.

Besides that , a car costs approximately 20 times more than a smartphone , so the expectations can not be the same.

• Like 1

Ford are still updating maps and software for Sync 3.0 more recent versions shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting read this, I've been getting Focus' in with no GPS and no codes to state a fault (assumed it was Fords customer software update issue) and I have been replacing the APIMs with a 100% success rate so far, done one today in fact 

• Like 2

Hello from Spain. Same problem with Focus 2019. I`ve tried everything, without results. Thanks to this post I see the problem is not just my case.

Now I don`t know weather go to downgrade to version 3.3 in cyanlabs or wait Ford for a new update that resolves the incompatibilities.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club