Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS not working after SYNC3 update

DuncanJones

5 hours ago, anikologr said:

I did exactly the same procedure and everything works fine. Latest sync version with latest maps...

Hello again . I also managed to finally install a working sync 3.4 build to my car.

Here is my story so that , perhaps , someone can be helped , or determine what is causing the problem or , how it is solved.

1. Ford Focus mk4 built in 2018 with some 3.3 sync version installed with F9 maps and never updated , until 

2. Ford's site provides me with an update for my car into version 3.4.21020 and gives No Gps sign.

3. Download and install  sync 3.4.21098 version + F10 maps from Cyanlabs , as i found comments that it works , No gps

4. Download and install latest 3.3 sync version without maps from Cyanlabs , Gps Working !

5. Download and install latest 3.4 sync without maps from Cyanlabs , Gps Working !

I have to say we are really lucky to have the Cyanlabs team providing us with possibilities to try and perhaps solve problems as , even though i believe Ford will finally provide a fix for this problem , it may take long to come and disappoint their customers . 

See you around !

• Thanks 2

Joined due to gps sync 3.4 update,dealer not able to fix Ford Uk not helpful no fix,the issue is been worked on possible sometime in September.?..

Ford say they will offer some sort of goodwill gesture when they fix your car!,

20 hours ago, Mi67 said:

Ford say they will offer some sort of goodwill gesture when they fix your car!,

I believe that when I see it.

I first reported mine to the dealer in June.  It’s been in there 3 times, totalling 3 weeks since then.  A goodwill gesture needs to be fairly decent!  maybe a couple hundreds quids worth of accessories wouldn’t go a miss, but i wont hold my breath.  It’ll be a branded car air freshener.

Just a quick update to say I got fed up of waiting and went down the CyanLabs route.  Really simple.

Was on 3.4.21020 as updated by Ford Website with F10 maps.  No GPS.

Selected 3.3.19052 (and kept current maps) from CyanLabs Syn3 updater, created USB and popped it in the car.  Took about 30 - 40 minutes to update.  Reboot and a master reset and GPS was working again. 👍

Selected 3.4.21194 (kept current maps, the latest and greatest on CyanLabs Syn3 updater), created USB and popped it in the car.  Took about 40 - 50 minutes this time to update.  Reboot and a master reset and GPS was still working. 👍

I honestly don't see a reason not to do this.  Just remember to do a master reset between each USB install and you should be fine.

They (Ford) may fix this with a software update - eventually, but as my car is out of warranty in December, i'll probably stick to CyanLabs from now on regardless.

Slick2097.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

A couple of weeks ago I updated my S-MAX 2019 from Sync3.2.18124 to Sync 3.4.21020 and my GPS signal was lost. Tried to update to F10 maps - successful but still no GPS signal.

Contacted Ford and my local authorized service workshop - none of them had ever heard of this "NO GPS problem", but asked me to come in and have it fixed by them. The car was at the work shop for one day and even though I referenced to this thread they still could not fix it, ordered a new APIM module and scheduled a new appointment to have the module replaced - the exact same story told by many in this thread ...

I went home - a little annoyed - cause I told them that it is a bad thing to cure a potential software problem just by replacing a hardware module... Anyway - just last night I checked if Ford should have come up with a software update - and BINGO - there was an update for my S-MAX. It was named "SYNC3_2599117516_Update.zip" and contains the following tar balls (snippets from the autoinstall.lst) :

SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.4.21194 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.4.21194_PRODUCT]
HB5T-14G386-VEB.tar.gz
HB5T-14G386-VCB.tar.gz
5U5T-14G381-ET.tar.gz
5U5T-14G391-AP.tar.gz
1U5T-14G658-AG.tar.gz
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
GB5T-14G386-AD.tar.gz
LU5T-14G386-CA.tar.gz

I did the update - wasting some good diesel as usual, ignition off, lock the door, waited more than 2 minutes for the Sync module to shut down the LCD backlight, restarted the car - and WHOOHAA this update did it! My GPS signal was back!! - everything works as expected. This could be just a lucky punch - but it shows that maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel..

So guys log into your FORD account and check for updates and if so fry an USB stick with ExFat and test if FORD really came up with a solution. Good luck.

Best regards

zEnterHacker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, DuncanJones said:

Hi everyone,

Just bought a second-hand 2019 Focus. After updating to the latest SYNC 3 software and maps, my GPS has stopped working. The map doesn't move as we drive around (which it did before the updates), and after a few minutes a no-GPS symbol appears on the screen.

The updates appear to have completed successfully, and the Ford website accepted the log files I uploaded as proof everything is OK. The website now shows that my car is fully up-to-date.

I've tried a master reset, but that hasn't made any difference. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Duncan

Hi Duncan.

I hve same problem when mine uptaded to 3.4 abt 5 weeks ago.

Had it at local Ford dealer and they hve no clue.

Got in touch wi Ford as its not 3 yrs old yet.

Did you get your problem solved and if so what was the cause.

Regards .

Terry.

1 hour ago, terrybandit said:

Hi Duncan.

I hve same problem when mine uptaded to 3.4 abt 5 weeks ago.

Had it at local Ford dealer and they hve no clue.

Got in touch wi Ford as its not 3 yrs old yet.

Did you get your problem solved and if so what was the cause.

Regards .

Terry.

Just out of curiosity

1: What version did you guys update FROM and TO (include build numbers like 3.4.21020) ?

2: What was the exact zip-filename of the downloaded update ( "SYNC3_##########_Update.zip)? 

Regards

zEnterHacker

Hi guys. Tony from Italy.

Recently bought a Focus Vignale estate and have the same problem with the update: all is working fine except the GPS, dead after updating to Sync 3.4 build 21020.

I contacted Ford on twitter a couple of days ago but I had no response.

Unfortunately my car is under warranty until 2025 so I 'd like to avoid installing the Cyanlabs files. I'll wait some months hoping for a new official Ford Sync update...

15 minutes ago, 1c0n said:

Hi guys. Tony from Italy.

Recently bought a Focus Vignale estate and have the same problem with the update: all is working fine except the GPS, dead after updating to Sync 3.4 build 21020.

I contacted Ford on twitter a couple of days ago but I had no response.

Unfortunately my car is under warranty until 2025 so I 'd like to avoid installing the Cyanlabs files. I'll wait some months hoping for a new official Ford Sync update...

Welcome to the club Tony.  Shame its because of a problem like this.  I’d drop into the dealer asap and get the fault registered with Ford directly like that.  They are now logging cases of this and taking details of all the components in each specific car, since a swift APIM swap solves this for some, but for others, not so lucky.

I’ve had the same problem with Sync 3 and the No GPS signal.

Taken into dealership and they said they’re aware and an update will be soon.

I’ve just seen that there’s a new update available for my car on their website, it wasn’t there yesterday, not installed it yet, but could be a fix…

2018 UK ‘68 plate Focus Titanium X

EDIT: new update is SYNC3 v3.4.21194

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, benking18 said:

I’ve just seen that there’s a new update available for my car on their website, it wasn’t there yesterday, not installed it yet, but could be a fix…

2018 ‘68 plate Focus Titanium X

New update also on the Sync italian site, 2.6 GB. Let's hope for the better...

EDIT: downloaded: Release 3.4.21194

Just checked ford..uk site. Also being offered a 2.6gb sync update. I’ve not read this thread. Has anyone successfully got it? And what difference does it make? 

Hi Guys, just to let you know, I have a Transit Connect 2018. Sync 3 did an automatic update earlier this summer which resulted in the now known no gps issue. Van went into the dealer who was as much good as a chocolate fire guard. Said I needed a new gps antenna which I refused. I tried to explain what you guys have been investigating and discovered on this forum but they didn't want to know. However....on Friday 10th September I tried the search for updates setting and there was the latest update/patch. Downloaded via WiFi and now the problem is solved. All working as it should gps restored.

Good luck 

Stew.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 7:50 AM, zEnterHacker said:

Hi Guys,

A couple of weeks ago I updated my S-MAX 2019 from Sync3.2.18124 to Sync 3.4.21020 and my GPS signal was lost. Tried to update to F10 maps - successful but still no GPS signal.

Contacted Ford and my local authorized service workshop - none of them had ever heard of this "NO GPS problem", but asked me to come in and have it fixed by them. The car was at the work shop for one day and even though I referenced to this thread they still could not fix it, ordered a new APIM module and scheduled a new appointment to have the module replaced - the exact same story told by many in this thread ...

I went home - a little annoyed - cause I told them that it is a bad thing to cure a potential software problem just by replacing a hardware module... Anyway - just last night I checked if Ford should have come up with a software update - and BINGO - there was an update for my S-MAX. It was named "SYNC3_2599117516_Update.zip" and contains the following tar balls (snippets from the autoinstall.lst) :

SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.4.21194 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.4.21194_PRODUCT]
HB5T-14G386-VEB.tar.gz
HB5T-14G386-VCB.tar.gz
5U5T-14G381-ET.tar.gz
5U5T-14G391-AP.tar.gz
1U5T-14G658-AG.tar.gz
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
GB5T-14G386-AD.tar.gz
LU5T-14G386-CA.tar.gz

I did the update - wasting some good diesel as usual, ignition off, lock the door, waited more than 2 minutes for the Sync module to shut down the LCD backlight, restarted the car - and WHOOHAA this update did it! My GPS signal was back!! - everything works as expected. This could be just a lucky punch - but it shows that maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel..

So guys log into your FORD account and check for updates and if so fry an USB stick with ExFat and test if FORD really came up with a solution. Good luck.

Best regards

zEnterHacker

Well, isn't that a kick in the teeth for me.  I wait almost 4 months for Ford to update the software to fix it and then the actual day before they release the official update that looks like it fixes it, I decide to go down the CyanLabs route 🙂

Its the same version I upgraded to on CyanLabs, so i'm not too fussed.

New question now is, what happens if I decide to plug the official USB upgrade stick in?  I didn't have to downgrade anything when I went CyanLabs so would it work? Or should I just stick with CyanLabs now and forget the update. (I know I can generate the "successful update" xml and clear the notification, but would the actual update work?)

Slick2097.

I would analyze the two files and see if they contain similar tar balls. If these *.tar files has more or less the same version names/sizes when comparing to the official Ford release - then I would try an official update and upload the XML file . After all you can always go back using CyanLabs.

Just one thing: We still need more feedback form people who actually had this NO GPS PROBLEM and then updated to the new & latest official Sync 3.4.21194. The fact that it worked for me does not automatically means that it works for everybody. So please guys - try it and report back. The delay in feedback can be caused by the extremely long process than an update takes to perform. I mean You can install a complete PC in less time than it takes to update Sync to a new version - not very CO2 friendly 😎.

Regards

zEnterHacker

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, benking18 said:

2018 UK ‘68 plate Focus Titanium X

I’ve just installed Sync 3 build 3.4.21194 onto my Focus and the GPS and Sat-Nav is back working as it should.

UK ‘68 plate Focus Titanium X

I too installed 3.4.21194 from the Ford site and have seen no issue on a VERY short drive ( 4 miles)  uploaded the log file and now there's a 9.2GB map update, which I haven't installed yet as I've no long drives coming up.

Hi all, 2018 focus ST line.. same issue, updated to new 3.4 last week and you guessed right no GPS.. wife had a few words to say about that as she uses the car daily for work and needs Nav.. 

Had car in today at local Ford dealer as just a couple of weeks of warranty left. Might as well of stayed as after 20mins called to say can’t fix it and Ford are aware of it.. 

Stopped by Argos on way home, bought 64gb usb stick, downloaded syn3 updater, selected Sync 3.3.19052 only, as have F10 maps already. Download in car, and all back working as should..  am going to try Cyanlabs 3.4 to see if that works.. if not 3.3 it it!! 

• Like 1

My 2019 Focus eco boost 1.0 lost the Sync 3 GPS signal after updating the Sync 3 software, installed Map V F10 and tried a full and soft restarts all with no affect. 

After reading Jonlad 's post I downloaded Sync3-259911751 from the official Ford web site which has restored the GPS signal.  I will give the SAT NAV a try over the weekend.  So I will cancel my appointment the the Ford Dealers. 

Thanks to all for posts and tips.  🙂

On 9/12/2021 at 8:37 PM, 1c0n said:

New update also on the Sync italian site, 2.6 GB. Let's hope for the better...

EDIT: downloaded: Release 3.4.21194

Installed today. It works.

shaun_shades.jpg

Finally the no GPS is no more! 
Thanks for informing there was a new update 👍🙏

• Like 1

Guys, it should be noted that CyanLabs files ARE Ford official files, just acquired via a different route. I've had the 3.4 update on my MK3 Focus for some while (Which i shouldn't have).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally managed to get my car fixed, on the 4th visit.  Happened to be MOT and service anyway which i supposed saved an extra visit.  It required a new module and software update applied to it.  All i now need to do is update the actual Maps data.  Not exactly brimming with confidence about doing that, but they’re 3 versions out of date now so its time.

• Thanks 1

Hi folks, been following this as a lurker since my GPS got bricked with the latest update a few months back. Took it into the dealer and came out with two new tyres but no fix for the GPS ... Apparently Ford was aware but there wasn't any fix yet.

Yesterday I had a call from the dealer reminding me that my MOT was due in November, and I asked about the GPS issue which still wasn't fixed, they said they didn't know and there wasn't anything in the system, I'd have to check when I came in for the MOT (I hadn't booked it yet).

Today totally out of the blue in the middle of a drive, the display switched off and restarted and it says update complete ... And low and behold the GPS is now working.

Here's the version it updated to: 3.4.21194_PRODUCT.

Worked great all the way home so fingers crossed it's fixed! Wondered if it's coincidence or if they pushed the update somehow. No idea, but either way glad to have it working again!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Rcheesley said:

Hi folks, been following this as a lurker since my GPS got bricked with the latest update a few months back. Took it into the dealer and came out with two new tyres but no fix for the GPS ... Apparently Ford was aware but there wasn't any fix yet.

Yesterday I had a call from the dealer reminding me that my MOT was due in November, and I asked about the GPS issue which still wasn't fixed, they said they didn't know and there wasn't anything in the system, I'd have to check when I came in for the MOT (I hadn't booked it yet).

Today totally out of the blue in the middle of a drive, the display switched off and restarted and it says update complete ... And low and behold the GPS is now working.

Here's the version it updated to: 3.4.21194_PRODUCT.

Worked great all the way home so fingers crossed it's fixed! Wondered if it's coincidence or if they pushed the update somehow. No idea, but either way glad to have it working again!

Sounds like you got the update OTA (over the air). Got wifi on your driveway ? 

• Like 1