Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it safe to delete, 'locky'?

StephenFord

This is sitting in my registry. I believe it's basis is in some type of ransomeware? Would like to just delete it, but am wary of doing so in case it causes unforeseen issues. Is it safe enough to delete, or should I just ignore it?

1746267616_lockyregistry.jpg.cdd45ef5d7d65edc4d1d54b49c3a6a95.jpg

12 minutes ago, Steve said:

try this guide

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/9807-locky-ransomware

have not tested myself though.. proceed with caution

I don't even have the patience to fully read that enormous link, never mind carry it out LOL

• Haha 1

no one reads instructions anyway, i know i dont lol

I should have shown the full registry entry, as you can see, the folder is 'empty' which is why I thought maybe deleting it would be OK? I don't have the 'locky' infection, but it looks like a remnant from a previous cleaning program action...

423917959_lockyregistryempty.thumb.jpg.fbd696fbeba9f4425c40fe39f822bf09.jpg

Hi Stephen, yes just delete it. You can get quite a number of free programmes that will find and delete 'Orphaned' files and folders on your PC.

Its always good to run the built in Windows 'System Restore' before cleaning up your PC then if you screw up its only a few seconds to restore your PC to an earlier time.

33 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi Stephen, yes just delete it. You can get quite a number of free programmes that will find and delete 'Orphaned' files and folders on your PC.

Its always good to run the built in Windows 'System Restore' before cleaning up your PC then if you screw up its only a few seconds to restore your PC to an earlier time.

Thanks for that, I have used several 'cleaners' like CCleaner, and Glary Utility expecting them to mop it out of the registry, but they have left it there - which concerned me! I love the thought of a system restore taking seconds, my 10 year old laptop is more than enough for me, but a system restore you are talking hours! LOL

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club