Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just bought a mk4 and have a couple of questions...

Grandric

I picked up my 2008 2.0 TDCi TX last night. Haven't driven it much yet, other than the drive home, but I have a couple of questions/comments:

When I test drove the car I switched the cruise control on and it was fine. On the way home it was working intermittently... I had a similar problem with my Octavia which contact cleaner sorted out, so I sprayed some into the little holes behind the buttons and crossing my fingers.

Also, before I viewed the car the reviews I read claimed everything from the Edge upwards came with bluetooth? I've got to admit, I didn't try pairing my phone while on the test drive and I was a little disappointed to find after I got home that the pairing method just mutes the audio, suggesting it does not have bluetooth. Or could the bluetooth module be broken?

When I've got an aux lead (not USB) plugged in, and don't have my phone on the other end I get a hum through the Speakers, kind of like when you touch the jack plug with your fingers, but all the time. Its fine when the phone is connected. I'm hoping it is just a crappy aux lead.

I've ordered a bluetooth/aux adapter for now, but I'd really like bluetooth audio directly through the radio ideally so I can skip tracks without touching the phone. Is there a module for this, and is it just a case of plugging it in, or does it need e.g. coding to the radio or something?

And on a related note I guess, I've still got the aftermarket head unit which I've removed from the Octavia, and has DAB and bluetooth. If I fitted this, can I get the steering wheel controls to talk to the new head unit for the volume and skipping tracks, and what will I lose from the Convers+?

Thanks for indulging a Mondeo noob!

Update: the contact cleaner cured the cruise control problem 🙂 Just need to figure out the bluetooth now

• Like 2

Well thats quite a list of question you have there 🤣

I can maybe help answer a few:

2 hours ago, Grandric said:

I switched the cruise control on and it was fine

I wouldn't have sprayed contact cleaner in to the switches as you nowprobably find in six months time the plastic will start to break, but too late to worry about that now. What was the problem you were/are having with the CC ? it operates a little different to the Octavia.

the Edge upwards came with bluetooth?

Yes that is the case. If you were able to complete the phone/car pairing then the car does have bluetooth. If pressing the phone button on the radio just mutes the sound then the car does not have bluetooth. Try connecting a different phone to the car, can you see the phones directory list ? and are there other phones already bonded to the car? then again if the answer is no then the car does not have bluetooth.

aux lead (not USB) plugged in, and don't have my phone on the other end I get a hum

Thats quite normal if the lead is left pluged in and nothing connected at the other end. A high quality aux cable will help reduce the problem.

bluetooth/aux adapter for now, but I'd really like bluetooth audio directly through the radio ideally so I can skip tracks without touching the phone.

Don't know the answer. If your car does have factory fitted bluetooth then the radio buttons will normally control the device connected.

aftermarket head unit

You will need a Canbus interface unit to connect the steering wheel controls to the aftermarket head unit. Many after market units come with the Canbus add on module as part of the kit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Well thats quite a list of question you have there 🤣

Yeah, it kinda grew as I was typing it...

I can maybe help answer a few:

I wouldn't have sprayed contact cleaner in to the switches as you nowprobably find in six months time the plastic will start to break, but too late to worry about that now. What was the problem you were/are having with the CC ? it operates a little different to the Octavia.

Yeah, like you say a little late now I guess. We'll see how it goes... Problem was intermittent activation, sometimes I could press the on button once and it would work, otherwise I'd have to repeatedly press the button until it worked.

Yes that is the case. If you were able to complete the phone/car pairing then the car does have bluetooth. If pressing the phone button on the radio just mutes the sound then the car does not have bluetooth. Try connecting a different phone to the car, can you see the phones directory list ? and are there other phones already bonded to the car? then again if the answer is no then the car does not have bluetooth.

Looks like it doesn't have bluetooth. Unless it's faulty, I'm toying with the idea of looking for the presence or absence of the module behind the glovebox

Thats quite normal if the lead is left pluged in and nothing connected at the other end. A high quality aux cable will help reduce the problem.

Thought that might be the case. The bluetooth aux adapter arrived a couple of hours ago which works, and no hum so at least I have something for now

Don't know the answer. If your car does have factory fitted bluetooth then the radio buttons will normally control the device connected.

You will need a Canbus interface unit to connect the steering wheel controls to the aftermarket head unit. Many after market units come with the Canbus add on module as part of the kit.

I'll probably look more into this if the current setup becomes too annoying 😄 

Bear in mind that the early bluetooth only works for phone calls, not audio streaming. On a Titanium X it should definitely have bluetooth, but for a 2008 it's likely only for making/receiving phone calls, not playing music.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

Bear in mind that the early Bluetooth only works for phone calls, not audio streaming. On a Titanium X it should definitely have Bluetooth, but for a 2008 it's likely only for making/receiving phone calls, not playing music.

Hmm. I'll definitely look into it a bit more then over the weekend...

And it seems my quotes went wrong a bit earlier! 😄 

I swapped the aux cable on my tit x for a quality one and it does reduce the noise a bit, but I always have my phone plugged in to stream audio(Spotify, bbc sounds etc).  Do you have sat nav model or the crap Sony unit in...? If sn then I think its quite difficult to swap out head units. I've only seen the Tesla style unit that takes the climate controls out and onto the screen, but doesn't even have dab radio and I believe they come from China, so a bit sceptical about installing something that is nearly £500 for a gimmicky screen(unless someone knows different).  You can get a new voice unit, that hides behind the glove box, that says USB connection on it, from either a focus or fiesta or indeed a mondeo of course and I think that gives you audio streaming as well as calls through bt, so no need to plug in. As earlier posted, the unit might be connected to too many phones. My phone connects almost straight away and generally quite good, if a little bit clunky and outdated, but I cannot get the voice control to work properly..... and yes my cruise works when it wants to. It will go into standby but when you press the set buttons it has a sulk and wont  set. I havnt tried the contact cleaner at the side of the buttons yet, but will give it a go tonight and let all know. Previous posts have all pointing to the buttons getting gummed up and contacts too dirty.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club