Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch pedal (intermittently) getting stuck half way up (MK4 2017)

Chimpanzee

Hi all. I've had really helpful replies to all my posts here so far so I'm hoping you can help with my latest issue... 🙂

For the last couple of weeks the clutch pedal in my 2017 Focus has felt a bit strange. When I take my foot off after changing gear, the pedal sometimes returns about half way up and gets stuck. I have to hook my foot behind the pedal to pull it the rest of the way. Fortunately, it's past the bite point so it's not causing gears to slip, but it's very odd-feeling.

Might not be related but the problem started straight after I vacuumed the car, so I'm wondering if something got dislodge/broken while I was doing that. I've had a look at the pedal mechanism and can't see anything obviously wrong or broken, but I don't really know what it's supposed to look like anyway. I've shared photos of the spring assembly below - the first is with the pedal un-pressed and second is with it fully engaged.

Any ideas what the issue might be? I thought I'd try replacing that part but I've had a look online for a "clutch pedal spring" but can't find one for my model (2017).

Thanks in advance

1.jpg

2.jpg

That part is what's called the pedal force reduction spring - it actually helps you press the pedal down. They can be known to fail at least on earlier Focus models but that one looks ok I'd say.

2 minutes ago, troy45 said:

That part is what's called the pedal force reduction spring - it actually helps you press the pedal down. They can be known to fail at least on earlier Focus models but that one looks ok I'd say.

Oh right? Is there another spring I should look at that pushes/pulls the pedal back up, or is it just that piece? (glad to hear it doesn't look broken)

Not sure being honest, quick search threw up a youtube video of a Mk3 ST clutch pedal and there's no other springs to be seen. May be built into the master cylinder that's part of the clutch pedal assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took the car in to a local garage but, because it's intermittent, they couldn't find the issue. I phoned my local Ford service centre and they were asking for £126 just for a 1 hour diagnostic so I'm not going that route. Does anyone else have any idea what the problem might be or should I just try some more local mechanics?

Just ensure the carpet or mats are not getting in the way and catching the pedal

I had this problem with my 1.0 ecoboost that i recently bought from a dealer, they had it for 3 days and told me they couldnt find anything wrong.So i kicked up and said i wanted my money back, so they replaced the master cylinder and the complete clutch with slave cylinder. Needless to say it completely cured the problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've got exactly the same problem. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? 

• 2 weeks later...

It's normally a failure of the master or slave cylinder. Sadly not an easy way to diagnose, so most will change the master cylinder first since it's cheaper.

• 1 year later...

I've had this intermittent, sticky clutch pedal problem since May 2022 on my 2015 Focus Titanium.

Lookers, South Shields charged over £700 to have system bled, clutch and slave fitted in mid August, but now the problem is back.

Did they solve it ?  Did they actually do anything ?

As it's intermittent I might have just got lucky for 6 weeks or so

16 hours ago, LikelyLad said:

I've had this intermittent, sticky clutch pedal problem since May 2022 on my 2015 Focus Titanium.

Lookers, South Shields charged over £700 to have system bled, clutch and slave fitted in mid August, but now the problem is back.

Did they solve it ?  Did they actually do anything ?

As it's intermittent I might have just got lucky for 6 weeks or so

As you paid for them to fix it, and they didn't, it's now at their cost to sort it as they wrongly diagnosed.

Take it back👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was your sticking clutch issue ever resolved?

I ask as my 2017 1.0 Ecoboost has the same intermittent problem.

Started with “juddering” when pulling away from traffic (usually when hot/on a longer run). Then developed into clutch pedal intermittently sticking down half way when released. Garage (who I’ve used for years and trust, not a main Ford dealer) said sounds more like the clutch than the master cylinder. So clutch and slave cylinder replaced. All was good for two months and the pedal starts sticking down again (no juddering this time though). So went back and master clutch cylinder (clutch pedal spring also) changed. Ok for a couple of days and now pedal sticking again. 

Car is back in today, they are replacing the slave cylinder under warranty, as they suspect it could be a rogue faulty new one. 

Frankly, reading your (and other stories), I fear this may not cure the issue and have lost faith in the car. I’m supposed to be going on a long trip to Portsmouth in it tomorrow, but don’t trust it. 

• 3 weeks later...

2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost
I’ve had the same issue, juddering clutch (intermittent) again usually after a long run or the next morning.

Now the pedal gets stuck (intermittently) and if you don’t immediately flick it back up with your foot it will eventually go down to the floor not allowing it to go in/out of gear until it is pulled up manually.

Judging by the issues I have seen here and elsewhere with this, I think it’s time to get rid of the car.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, troy45 said:

Essa parte é chamada de mola de redução da força do pedal - ela realmente ajuda você a pressionar o pedal. Eles podem falhar pelo menos nos modelos Focus anteriores, mas aquele parece bom, eu diria.

Did you have this issue done?

I think my pre-facelift Focus it broke and I never replaced it. It’s hard enough to see properly before even thinking of replacing it

• 8 months later...

I have just had clutch,DM flywheel',clutch master cylinder all replaced under warranty due to same problem, pedal goes to the floor have to pull it back up and pedal is fine for a day an hour who knows 2017 1.5tdci Titanium 52k on odometer,bought it drove 120 miles then back it went invoice for £980 at the dealerships expense

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club