Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch pedal (intermittently) getting stuck half way up (MK4 2017)

Hi all. I've had really helpful replies to all my posts here so far so I'm hoping you can help with my latest issue... 🙂

For the last couple of weeks the clutch pedal in my 2017 Focus has felt a bit strange. When I take my foot off after changing gear, the pedal sometimes returns about half way up and gets stuck. I have to hook my foot behind the pedal to pull it the rest of the way. Fortunately, it's past the bite point so it's not causing gears to slip, but it's very odd-feeling.

Might not be related but the problem started straight after I vacuumed the car, so I'm wondering if something got dislodge/broken while I was doing that. I've had a look at the pedal mechanism and can't see anything obviously wrong or broken, but I don't really know what it's supposed to look like anyway. I've shared photos of the spring assembly below - the first is with the pedal un-pressed and second is with it fully engaged.

Any ideas what the issue might be? I thought I'd try replacing that part but I've had a look online for a "clutch pedal spring" but can't find one for my model (2017).

Thanks in advance

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Chimpanzee changed the title to Clutch pedal (intermittently) getting stuck half way up (MK4 2017)

That part is what's called the pedal force reduction spring - it actually helps you press the pedal down. They can be known to fail at least on earlier Focus models but that one looks ok I'd say.

2 minutes ago, troy45 said:

That part is what's called the pedal force reduction spring - it actually helps you press the pedal down. They can be known to fail at least on earlier Focus models but that one looks ok I'd say.

Oh right? Is there another spring I should look at that pushes/pulls the pedal back up, or is it just that piece? (glad to hear it doesn't look broken)

Not sure being honest, quick search threw up a youtube video of a Mk3 ST clutch pedal and there's no other springs to be seen. May be built into the master cylinder that's part of the clutch pedal assembly.