Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for some Dashcam fuse help

jetracey

Hi There

I have a 2018 S-Max and I am fitting a dashcam that I want to hard wire using a piggyback / add a fuse connection.

I finaly found the passenger compartment fuse board, (note - it is in the passenger footwell covered by two plastic trims that need to be removed to gain decent access. It is not under the steering column as stated in the handbook and elsewhere on-line), and I have routed the wiring to the fuse box after removing several pieces of trim.

Now I need help finding a fuse that is ignition switched. I have tried: -

• Fuse 26 - Front passenger door (window, mirror). But after 90 mins it still had power.
  • Fuse 33 - Radio. Again after 90 minutes it still had power.

Is there a fuse in the passenger compartment fuse board that is switch off with the ignition, either straight away or after a timed delay.

Thanks John

Hi Again

I've just tried

• Fuse 28 - Amplifier. again no luck this was still on after 120 minutes

I'm now trying

• Fuse 2 - Memory seats, lumbar, power mirror.  

Hopefully I'll find one.

John

Depends if you have an early 2018 model or a late 2018, the fuse box changed.

Try fuse number 33 which should be 20 Amp

• Like 1

Hi Unofix

Thanks for replying. Could you confirm do you mean F33 in the engine bay or passeneger compartment?

I've tried Fuse 33 (Radio) in the passenger compartment with no luck. Power stayed on for more than 90 minutes.

In the passenger compartment, I've now tried 2, 26, 28 and 33 - all stay powered on. 

Thanks again

John

Hi John, I was meaning F33 in the passenger compartment. I've fitted well over 50 something dashcams and not had a problem (so far).

Fuse F33 (radio fuse) should go dead about 2 minuets after the car is locked. In fact most of the fueses you have listed should switch off between 2 minuets and worst case for some 20 minuets after the car is locked.

I'm not sure what the problem could be other than your BCM is not entering sleep mode after the ignition has been switched off, but then that would lead to quite a heavy battery drain which I'm sure you would notice.

On your S-Max does the cigar socket stay powered after the ignition is switched off ?

Hi Unofix

Thanks again for replying..... OK great we are talking about the same fuse.

I've gone back to F33 and instaed of using the dashcam to test I've put a mutimeter on it and now leave for 20 minutes to see what happens.

I've only had the car a 5 days, but not noticed anything on the battery drain, but it could be that the system is not entering sleep mode and we just haven't see the impact yet, (hopefully not though). 

I'm not sure about the cigar socked staying powered on I can test that as well, just need to find a cigar lighter plug. If I still have problems with F33 I'll try that next.

John

Hi Unofix

I can confirm F33 is still on after 30mins checked using a multimeter through car window and without opening doors or taking the key near the car.

I've just checked the Cigar lighter socket in the front console and that powers on and off with ignition. The fuse for this is in the engine bay and I don't really want to try to feed a cable through the bulkhead..... I had a quick look and it looks like a bit of a nightmare to even get near the bulkhead from the engine side.

So I guess the options are

• Find an other fuse in the passenger compartment fuse board that switches off with the ignition (ideal)
  • Find and then tap into the Cigar lighter feed cable with a fused connection, (looks like I will have to remove quite a bit of trim to get at it)
  • Use a Cigar lighter plug & cable. (not ideal as I want to use that for other stuff)
  • Pull a cable through the bulkhaed and connect to the Cigar lighter fuse in the engine bay fuse box (last resort)

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks

John

Note using the car VIN # the Fuse Specification Chart is stating it is for vehicles Built between: 07-02-2017 and 10-06-2018

What about fuse location 27 for the moonroof ? It should not be a problem if you don't have a moonroof as the supply contact to one side of the fuse should still be there.

• Thanks 1

I'll try that one 🙂 and let you know.

I put a low-noise twin USB low-profile adaptor into my power plug under the flap and fed the wire through the back of the glove box and up the A pillar. This still leaves 1 5v USB socket for other things and it is switched, although the power socket does remain live for some minutes, which can help to record parked car issues. It is important to use a metal-bodied low-noise adaptor or the electronic noise from a cheap adaptor will kill the DAB signal.

• Like 1

The wipers should be ignition live.

• Like 1

Hi Paulius55

Thanks for the advice on the USB socket, especially about the low noise and DAB signal..... I'm going to try the last few oprtions on the fuse board before I go down that route. 

I have just read on an other forum that (on another ford model, a US ford fusion) the "Delayed accessory (power inverter logic, moonroof logic)" fuse which would be fuse 23 on my car is switched, so if fuse 27 dosen't work I'm going for that one next.

3 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

The wipers should be ignition live.

Problem is that the wiper fuse (Number 83) is not in the passenger compartment and it is difficult for the OP to get a wire through the bulk head

Hi Luke4efc

Thanks for the advice. However that might be the last options, as the wiper fuse is in the engine bay and I'm trying to avoid having to pull wires through the bulkhead.

Thanks again

John

PS - is the efc anything to do with supporting a football club 🙂

Tbh I didn't even look where the fuses are, all of the Fords I've done have the wiper fuses in the passenger compartment.

3 minutes ago, jetracey said:

PS - is the efc anything to do with supporting a football club 🙂

Yes, and judging by Merseyside in your profile I'd hope you don't support the gob shites on the other side of Stanley Park. 

Hi All

Solved 🙂....... Unofix, you where close with the moonroof, but stayed on. monnroof logic is switched.

Fuse 23 - Delayed accessory (power inverter logic, moonroof logic).  Is switched with the ignition.

Comes on when you start the car and goes off about 30 seconds after switch off ignition and getting out of car.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

John

• Like 1

Hi Luke

Now now...... no need to be nasty about the best team in merseyside. 🙂

YNWA

John

• 1 month later...

John,
Thanks for posting this topic, as I can use your findings!
It is indeed annoying that the Ford handbook and various sites show the fusebox as being on the driver's side behind 'immovable' trim.
The actual location in the passenger footwell seems to be the same as the Mondeo Mk5.
Any tips on removing the large plastic surround?  I undid the bottom clips, but stopped there for now.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club