Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk8 1.0 140, Does a 'performance' panel filter actually make any difference?

swizzleW

Specifically a K&N Racing panel as I've seen it quoted as adding 2-4HP. I know that's not much at all and any perceived performance increases while driving are probably just placebo effect but still, has anyone on here actually replaced there standard filter one of these specific filters or an equivalent and noticed any difference at all? if so please let me know, thank you!

There's no noticeable difference whatsoever, and anybody that tells you otherwise is just trying to justify spending £50 on a panel filter.

They are good in the fact they're washable, so could potentially save you money by not having to change it out every few years but just wash it every oil change you do. However, you're still talking 10 years to break even (and I think even the K&N will be a bit tired by that point anyway).

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

There's no noticeable difference whatsoever, and anybody that tells you otherwise is just trying to justify spending £50 on a panel filter.

They are good in the fact they're washable, so could potentially save you money by not having to change it out every few years but just wash it every oil change you do. However, you're still talking 10 years to break even (and I think even the K&N will be a bit tired by that point anyway).

As expected then, how about a cold air induction kit would that make any performance improvements without having any sort of remap? ir is a remap required to actually get any benefits from one?

I second Luke's reply- no difference whatsoever- total waste of money.

All you really need is a remap...  I've wasted plenty of money of induction kits, panel filters, exhausts etc over the years...  Nothing comes close to a remap in terms of value for money.

If you want a placebo effect, you've got to go for an open cone.  It will generally be slower, but the louder, progressive tone as the revs rise give the feeling of more speed.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm with the other guys. I used to use Pipercross or K&N back in the day as they did last longer than the OE filters at the time, never noticed any performance benefits though, and OE filters have improved since then.

A Superchips or similar Stage 1 remap will get you around 25bhp/50Nm for £300 or so depending on what deals are available.

Does anyone have any experience of a Superchips (or similar) stage1 remap on the Mk8 140?

1 hour ago, Jonson said:

Does anyone have any experience of a Superchips (or similar) stage1 remap on the Mk8 140?

Superchips in general are quite good.

3 hours ago, Jonson said:

Funnily enough, there are quite a few threads where people were thinking about it, but the only Mk 8s I can remember were 100s, such as @Daggeritiirc.

A lot of Mk 8s will still be under warranty, so maybe people are waiting until it expires. A fair number of Mk 7.5 140s have been done though - just try a quick search on "superchips" and you should find a few.

I wouldnt bother with the aftermarket pannel filters as they are over priced, youll not notice any Hp increase. The fact that they can be cleaned seems like good value but it isnt as every time you wash the filter there will be ingrained particles that get missed. I bought a cone filter along with the other parts when I fitted a Pumaspeed stage 3 kit on my car and tried both the standard air filter then swapped to the cone filter and couldnt tell the difference apart from noise.

Another point regarding the cost and suposesd value for money of the aftermarket pannel filter is blown out the water when you can get a Fram standard air filter for £9 or 5.5 x for the cost of 1x washable filter.

• Like 1

Yeah just change the OEM paper filter more often.

Cars used to have crap cold air feeds as standard and it was worth sorting that out but these days they all have a proper feed from the front.

I changed my dirty(ish) paper filter to a K&N panel filter whilst on a rolling road on my previous car, (mk1 Skoda Fabia vRS diesel). It made a massive 1.1 BHP (0.5%) difference!!!

Old paper filter

142.1 bhp @3910 rpm, 248.2 lbft @2109 rpm

K&N Panel

143.3 bhp @4055 rpm, 249.9 lbft @2116 rpm

I was told there might be a little more power gained when ECU learns to use the extra airflow. I remap would certainly help. In saying that, I'm sure other manufactures are different. Different cars may produce different figures depending on how good/bad stock components are. I personally could not tell any difference in power when driving, but still glad I bought it.

I can't help thinking a new clean paper filter would have given you the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim H said:

Old paper filter

142.1 bhp @3910 rpm, 248.2 lbft @2109 rpm

K&N Panel

143.3 bhp @4055 rpm, 249.9 lbft @2116 rpm

I think your torque units are wrong.

If you are talking about a 1 Litre Ecoboost 140 then it will be 248Nm not lbft although that still sounds a bit high as even on overboost they are rated at about 220Nm

* Edit * ah sorry just realised you were talking about a Skoda fabia 🙂

15 hours ago, Blatto said:

I think your torque units are wrong.

If you are talking about a 1 Litre Ecoboost 140 then it will be 248Nm not lbft although that still sounds a bit high as even on overboost they are rated at about 220Nm

* Edit * ah sorry just realised you were talking about a Skoda fabia 🙂

That was my previous car, a 2004 Skoda Fabia vRS, with 1.9 PD130 TDI engine. Skoda say it should have 130BHP and 230 lbft, so was happy with the results. I currently drive a Fiesta 140 (same power), but I do miss the extra torque the diesel gave. It just means now I have to change down a gear or two, when accelerating. no need in Fabia, put foot down and it goes!  I wrote those figures to show what a K&N can do with one engine.

1862078914_DSCF1004edited.thumb.JPG.7d0c5f0fc500ad05d8c2898a4cbee506.JPG

• Like 1

My first PD130 Golf also pulled well over 130bhp on the dyno as standard...  First diesel I owned and probably still the best one!  Bought it 10 years ago this week funnily enough.

I then bought a second one, never dyno'd it standard but stuck a £40 remap on it which pushed it up to 176bhp without any supporting mods (annoying, as it was a '180bhp' map!)...then realised it pulled that figure with a knackered camshaft and a considerable reduction in valve opening!!  :laugh: