Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my Focus safe to use the new E10 unleaded petrol?

StephenFord

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Surprised you didn't quote the 'bus' with £350 Million/week for the NHS, absolute total lie, it actually got an extra £420 Million/week last year, dam government! I'll not even mention the EU threatening to invoke Article 16 to totally overture the NI protocol over vaccine distribution (because the EU had screwed it up so badly!), darn, I just mentioned it 🤣

Maybe this country will regrow its own manufacturing base for the 90% of UK goods we gave away to the rest of the world. Am keen on pointing out to people were an island and should look after our own, ooooooh sabre rattling there haha

• Like 1

Who negotiated the NI protocol that would be  Lord Frost, it was written in English so we could understand it, Johnson signed it, just a pity Johnson gave parliament more time to talk about Prince Philip than he did for them to read and debate the "oven ready" Brexit deal. The EU have every right to threaten the UK, we signed a deal in to law, we now don't want to abide by that deal, and Lord Frost is upset because the EU are doing what he agreed in the deal.
We have a PM that repeated lies, it's is on record and on film when he constantly said there would be no checks HE LIED.

If you think EU has screwed their vaccine deliver up you haven't been taking notice, they are catching up very quickly and some countries daily number jab are higher than the UK, they are not entering a third wave, and some EU countries have brought forward the easing of restriction due to the much lower numbers of COVID cases.

As for the NHS it's core funding went DOWN last year, but yes it was boosted by additional COVID spending, but that is not a permanent increase. The core budget for 2021/22 is £173M a week more than in 2019/20 , NOT £420m or even £350m.

I don't see Farage with a fishing fleet up the Thames celebration the total disaster Brexit has on the industry, and what about huge Brexit supporting Tim Martin  he's now begging for a relaxation on immigration rules due to staff shortages.

If you want to know how good brexit is, just check up on it's main supporters and where the now live ( not in the  UK ) and what happened to the investment company run by Jacob Rees-Mogg (Somerset Capital Management) he moved it to Dublin in the EU, he's that confident in Brexit, but I will admit he did say it would be at least 50 years before we would know if Brexit had any benefits.

I'm not discussing Brexit any longer here, I spent 4 years debating it on various political forums. I even called in to LBC some time ago on James O'Brien on a discussion on the reunification of Ireland, where Brexit was mentioned LOL (I can give you a 2 point plan why that will never happen and is just a fable for American tourists to put on a T/Shirt).

I get you are angry, anyone on a losing side will feel that. Over the last half decade there are loads of times my vote has been on the losing side, I got over it. I respect your view - no matter what happens you'll always look through the prism of 'Brexit is bad', that's fine. Ironic that you voted against it, and I voted for it, and neither of us got our way 🤣

• Like 1

Fair enough, I get that most leavers no longer want to talk about it anymore for some reason.

Yes I will see 'Brexit is bad', until someone can show a benefit (which hasn't happened by anyone yet, well unless your a tax avoiding multi millionaires, who can now feel a little safer from the EU's clamp down on avoidance )

The situation in Ireland is far to complex to just say there'll be reunification because of Brexit.

What was the original topic title/question?

Oh yes, I remember - Is my Focus safe to use the new E10 unleaded petrol?

• Haha 5

Good job I I got a dirty diesel now. B7 diesel burns/smokes well in my mondeo. My coughs not covid related. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Current radio ads for the introduction of E10 fuel state that from September it will be sold in England, Scotland & Wales, but no mention at all of Northern Ireland. Now, I know we are still in the EU (!), but felt sure we were still part of the UK LOL Extensive googling has failed to supply me a definitive view of whether it will be sold in Northern Ireland or not. Anyone know a source where I can get an answer to this?

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Anyone know a source where I can get an answer to this?

Spotted  this while looking on Gov.Uk:

Government decision on E10 petrol

In line with the feedback received to this consultation, we can confirm that we’ll introduce legislation as soon as possible to require fuel suppliers and retailers to introduce E10 petrol in the standard 95-octane petrol grade by 1 September 2021. We’ll also require the higher-octane ‘Super’ grade to remain E5 to provide protection for owners of older vehicles.

Subject to parliamentary approval, the introduction of E10 at forecourts will occur during summer 2021 supported by a comprehensive communications campaign.

The initial legislation will apply to Great Britain only. In line with our obligations under the Northern Ireland Protocol, we’ll also notify the European Commission of our intention to legislate for the introduction of E10 in Northern Ireland to ensure regulations are in place before the September 2021 change in petrol grade.

Rest assured Stephen, you are definitely part of the UK as far as I'm concerned! 

• Thanks 1

a long time back, sure I'd read the Mk2 1.6vvti should NOT be run on that ethanol garbage...

there is also the consideration that it eats ordinary rubber (fuel hoses and seals), can deform some plastics, eats metal, (trashes both metal and plastic tanks and engine components) sucks up water and rusts everything and is generally vile trash - they have introduced to to sell more cars (by killing off older ones)

its been dead common in Europe for ages - my BM bike runs like an utter dog on that rubbish, like it wants to stall and misfire all the time, and makes no go - if you come home from a euro trip, the flipping bike feels like it had a new engine and the front won't stop coming off the ground after you fill up this side of the channel

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Botus said:

its been dead common in Europe for ages - my BM bike runs like an utter dog on that rubbish, like it wants to stall and misfire all the time, and makes no go - if you come home from a euro trip, the flipping bike feels like it had a new engine and the front won't stop coming off the ground after you fill up this side of the channel

Lol, I take it you don't recommend it, then?😀 I won't be rushing to try it myself, tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, mjt said:

More smoke and mirrors! :rolleyes:

This is really weird!!!! Smoke and Mirrors is exactly what it is! Add a bit more confusion to the already reeling public over vax or not to vax, holiday or staycation, stock up on Christmas consumables now or rely on shops at Christmas time, the list and complexities is getting longer. Some years ago I went out to South Africa to work. Cortina MK1's (?) - the model with the round 3 section rear lights were the thing to 'hot-up' then, even to 3/4 race (full race not allowed on public roads). Fuel also came into the 'hotting-up', and in South Africa at that time one could buy 'Union Spirit' at filling stations. This was pure Ethanol, a by-product of the sugar cane industry. The recommendation was to fill the tank with no more that 10% Union Spirit, then fill up the tank with 98 Octane. Also available at that time was 101 Octane. I regularly filled up with a mixture of 10% Ethanol and 101 Octane. it sure made a difference to my cars performance, as did all the drivetrain mods etc. No trouble experienced using 10% Ethanol although the exhaust did smell a little exotic 😎

• 2 weeks later...

My dad has a Ford Focus 1.8 petrol titanium, 2009 model. Can it take the E10 fuel. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fraser Gerrie said:

My dad has a Ford Focus 1.8 petrol titanium, 2009 model. Can it take the E10 fuel. 

Yes. As per https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Ford

E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding:

• Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.This model and Ford models sold before 1992 should continue to use E5.

Personal imports not approved by Ford of Europe are not included in the above statements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fraser Gerrie said:

It must be a real pain to read a 2 page thread, especially when the answer to said question is post No2 LOL 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It must be a real pain to read a 2 page thread LOL 🤣

Seriously though, it does go to show how hard it is for "the authorities" to get things across. E10 has been discussed in the motoring press for at least 3 years, there's been Government stuff for over a year, all the media have run stories on it, and yet many people still don't know (including most of my friends!). The various TV news had roving reporters in filling stations on 1 September and most drivers they interviewed hadn't a clue, didn't know what the E5 or E10 sticker on the pump signified (or even noticed it) etc.

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Seriously though, it does go to show how hard it is for "the authorities" to get things across. E10 has been discussed in the motoring press for at least 3 years, there's been Government stuff for over a year, all the media have run stories on it, and yet many people still don't know (including most of my friends!). The various TV news had roving reporters in filling stations on 1 September and most drivers they interviewed hadn't a clue, didn't know what the E5 or E10 sticker on the pump signified (or even noticed it) etc.

Depends what it is - on Covid, the government has spent £800 Million on scaring the bejesus out of the population, where we still have folk wearing masks outside! Yet, on their 'consultation' on deciding to ban ICE cars and mandate battery, they got just over 1000 responses from a motoring population of 37,000,000! (They spent diddly squat on advertising that!)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

the government has spent £800 Million on scaring the bejesus out of the population, 

Lol, now how did I guess you'd mention that!😀 Now you'll probably get "cancelled" by the mods!😀

15 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, now how did I guess you'd mention that!😀 Now you'll probably get "cancelled" by the mods!😀

It would be disappointing to get 'cancelled' over telling the truth. The point you made about no-one knowing about E5 to E10 switch is valid - how many TV ads did you see?? How many press ads did you see?? Now admittedly there was a 6 week radio ad campaign on the changeover date lead in, but that's why no one knew about it. The vast majority of motorists treat cars like a utilitarian item, like a pair of shoes, they're not enthusiasts like most on this forum...

The government didn't think it important enough to inform the majority. Hence the continuing mass confusion over the switch.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It would be disappointing to get 'cancelled' over telling the truth. 

Lol, I meant for going off the topic. 

But yes, I agree, they could have made the information process a bit more "impactful" to use a ghastly current expression.

I fully agree on your other point, as you know. We ought to go and have a rant about it on a more appropriate thread though!😀😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

The government didn't think it important enough to inform the majority. Hence the continuing mass confusion over the switch.

To be honest for the vast majority it's not important, there are very few cars that the change effects so no real point spending money on an add campaign.
I don't think there are many people driving round in 30 year old cars, and those that are will be the said enthusiasts who'll be well aware of the change.

4 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

To be honest for the vast majority it's not important, there are very few cars that the change effects so no real point spending money on an add campaign.

To be fair, I offered ihat as a reason why most people don't know about the change. I accept that most people couldn't give a flying hoot what they filled up with as long as the car worked!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

I don't think there are many people driving round in 30 year old cars, and those that are will be the said enthusiasts who'll be well aware of the change.

There are a number of VAG cars affected and some are now as old as you might think.

• 7 months later...

thought I'd drag this up again - wrote a rant at ESSO - anyone else noticed their fuel is now useless ?

...no doubt the different road conditions made a big difference - but the point of the rant was both my main car and bike are drinking ESSO fuel like there is a hole in the tank since the change to higher levels of ethanol that massive step change came directly after getting best result I'd ever had using ESSO,

This is not on a Ford but some gas guzzling monster.  on local runs I got nearly a 5mpg uplift adding asda trash under the same driving conditions... and with 60% of the tank full of BP E10, 30% Asda E10 and 20% ESSO E0% I was shocked that it got 28.5mpg - nearly the best I've ever seen and allegedly mostly all E10 rubbish - which would indicate ESSO have created magic nothing and the others aren't as bad

The strange thing was the stink of the BP from that forecourt was like real petrol - but two other BP garages I've been trying on the BIKE smell of nothing and the bike is struggling to run

its not all octane numbers either - post introduction of high ethanol garbage fuels sept last year

From ESSO E5 95 (where I had seen 29mpg on long runs and mostly 25mpg round town)
I started with Shell E10 it was dropping MPG big time,
Tried ESSO E10 it was worse (diving from 25mpg round town to 17mpg and seemingly in a death spiral)
Tried ESSO E0 99 it gained a bit, increasing to 19mpg
Added 50 50 Adsa E10 and ESSO 99 E0 and got to 22mpg round town instantly increasing from 17 to 20 mpg
Now mostly BP E10 seems to be doing 23mpg round town

on the bike I had come to the conclusion tanker drivers and unscrupulous forecourts are pumping the good stuff in certain tanks they always fill from - the car on the BP from one place and then the bike on BP from two others is doing the exact opposite - would seem to suggest that's happening too - and to be honest why wouldn't they !!!

Been using E10 in both our cars from its introduction and still noticed no difference in performance or consumption. Normally fill up at the nearest Tesco or BP stations but have used various others while on holiday (Morrison's and Gulf are two I can remember). Don't think I've used ESSO in that time, though.

1 hour ago, Botus said:

thought I'd drag this up again - wrote a rant at ESSO - anyone else noticed their fuel is now useless ?

Esso puled out of Northern Ireland 15 years ago. I miss their world cup coins!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club