Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car cleaning products.

jace1969

I use Bilt Hamber for my snow foam but I'm running out of the wheel cleaner,i only have a small amount left say another 3 washes.

I use Bilberry which seems to do a very good job as i don't even have to scrub them.

Is there any other good ones new for 2021 that does just as good job or better as between the Bilt Hamber and Bilberry i don't think i can do any better.

I use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel, does me fine once a year.

My wheels are waxed too and swap between summer and winter sets, so nothing really gets baked on so to speak.

I was thinking of giving Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner a go so then i use the 2,the snow foam made by them is great and good reviews, then again the Bilberry has amazing reviews just looking at a change,i wont come off the snow foam but the wheel cleaner i would like to try something else.

I use nothing but the best - Waitrose Washing up Liquid, Elbow Grease, and rain water !

Oh -and a Scotchbrite, but only on the exhaust pipe!

(Other pan scourers are available.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've only ever used Iron X, which I find perfectly decent. I've heard a lot of good feedback about Bilberry, though.

Haven't used Bilberry myself but I picked up some wheel cleaner from Williams racing and it seems to shift the gunk off the wheels really well. Put it on, leave it a few minutes and give it a quick wipe for the more stubborn gunk and rinse it off and you're all set. Like £14 for 5L on amazon or £23 for 10L. Don't bother with the long hose trigger one though, the trigger is useless for the wheel cleaner.

I have heard of this Williams cleaning and that's a good price for 5L,never heard of that iron X.

Autobrite looks around the same price of the Bilberry as i would won’t the Acid free ones.

17 minutes ago, Ruthieroo77 said:

I use this website for my detailing gear. Here is all their Iron fallout removers:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/paint-contamination/iron-fallout

That's a dam good site, saved it and will look at the stuff after.

What is the post cost say on a 1 litre spray bottle as it's a good price on the item.

Its strange that the foam Bilt Hamber don't clean the wheels like Bilt Hamber wheel stuff or other products save buying 2 as if it can move this bird stuff on mine baked on in the heat i would of thought brake dust would be easier as doing low miles i don't get a lot of break dust as local drives anyway.

13 hours ago, Paulkp said:

I use nothing but the best - Waitrose Washing up Liquid, Elbow Grease, and rain water !

Oh -and a Scotchbrite, but only on the exhaust pipe!

(Other pan scourers are available.)

Is it or was it an old wives tale [ at 60 yes I've an old wife] washing up liquid isn't good for car paint, or was that pre all this clear coat now ?

19 minutes ago, JImpster said:

Is it or was it an old wives tale [ at 60 yes I've an old wife] washing up liquid isn't good for car paint, or was that pre all this clear coat now ?

It'll dry out the lacquer due to the salt in it...  Only have to look at the state of your hands after washing up to see it's drying effect. 

Elbow grease is damaging to the paint as well, effectively working the grit into the lacquer like sand-paper, I suspect Pauls car will be as swirly as an Artex ceiling... :laugh: 

I've mentioned on here before though, my brand new Ford came covered in swirls due to poor cleaning techniques at the dealership, so chances are your paint will already be wrecked unless it had a proper detailing correction done after sale. :sad: 

• Like 2

Take a PoS with most of my post - but living in a very hard water area, water meter and four cars to wash, I do use rain water to stop the chalk circles forming on the paint work.

I have a ton of rain water in five water butts, and use the water in the last butt (they overflow in series, so they get progressively cleaner) fed through a water butt pump suspended well clear of the bottom and using a filter, round to the front of the house to feed pressure water and buckets.

I tend to use Autoglym stuff, and did try an alernative wheel cleaner once which worked quite well, but never bought it again because of the obnoxious fumes !

There was a "Which" report in the '70's which is probably the source of the "Salt in washing up liquid" and Tom, get your wife to wash up and avoid that dry hands look (or use Vaseline Intensive Care) !

(Artex - is that not full of asbestos ?!)

• Like 1

Get the washing up liquid from Aldi cheap and also try the Toilet cleaner for the wheels,some nice thick pink stuff down there and smells nice,best smelling wheels around town with the added Matt paint..............Got to say i did try washing up liquid years and years ago back when you could use any key to unlock your car and buy a car with 12 months MOT and tax for £500.

This is what i want to do Paul try out another one and that site with the link on here looks good as around £3 cheaper that other places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulkp said:

(Artex - is that not full of asbestos ?!)

Not in my 2000s build hopefully!  But yes, if you've got a mid-century build, probably best not breathe it in while fitting a new lamp pendant! :biggrin: 

The rain water is a good idea where you've got space to store it though.  Very hard water here too, no chance of letting a car drip dry after a tap water rinse!

• Like 1

Rain water is deffo a good idea if you have the storage space.

Very hard water here too, I use two large DI vessels to deionise the water...not cheap but allows me to drip dry my black car without leaving marks all over it, or at least gives me time to dry it with a towel without leaving marks. Use the deionised water in the screen wash too 😉

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you’re in the West Yorkshire east Manchester area my son has a detailing business https://tphdetails.com/ but please don’t tell him you use washing up liquid 🙉

I know I’m probably a bit biased but he’s really good check out his google reviews and Instagram account 

I like using Autosmart Smart wheels  because it is acid-free.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club