Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 mondeo estate rear subframe.

Des 63

Hi all, I'm new to the group.

Can anyone help please? I have a rusted out rear bump stop mount, what I would like too know is, is the bump stop and coil spring top mount a separate part, or is it part of the subframe?, some garages say it's part of the subframe others it's not but none are sure.

Please see pics.

20210618_222051.jpg

Hi Des63, I'm no expert on the subject of Mondeo's but it has been said many times before on this forum that the Mondeo Estates do not have rear subframes. Each part can be replaced individually. 

Do a search of this forum for Mondeo subframes and you will see what I mean. 

• Like 1

I've just had a look in my Haynes, and for the estate it says 'release the bump stop from the crossmember then withdraw it together with the coil spring from under the vehicle' 

Here's a pic from catcar of the crossmember with the bumpstop (or is it the top mount? ) shown with its mounting bolts. 

Anyway, looks like the crossmember part number is 1208358, maybe worth doing an eBay search using 'Ford 1208358'  as the search string, or trying a few breakers yards, but note that its the estate part you're after, breakers might assume Hatch/saloon and estate all use a subframe, (they might even call the crossmber a subframe!) 

Screenshot_2021-06-19-12-10-17-607_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering how you got on. I just failed the MOT with rusted rear crossmember on MK3 mondeo estate. I have looked high and low to find a replacement but no luck.

Does anyone know if any other vehicle model part would be identical or good places to look.

I've exhausted google for new parts and signed up to online breaker searches but having no luck.

It would be a huge shame to scrap the car which is running really well.

Thanks for helping mate but that is 2008, which is Mk4 isn't it?

I see you're in Cornwall... are you prepared to travel to collect one, or has it got to be delivered? 

The finis code is 1208358 if that's any help... have you tried a Ford main dealer with that finis code?.... Worth a try, it's only a phone call to their parts dept. Ford have a massive spares warehouse at Daventry that main dealers have access to. 

Some breakers call it a subframe,  and if you do an eBay search for mk3 Mondeo estate rear subframe, one does come up, but it's obviously a hatchback/saloon one from the picture. 

Also, do an eBay search for mondeo mk3 estate breaking, there's a few about... let us know how you get on!... mines an 02 estate so I'm interested as well... these mk3s are really nice all round useful motors worth making an effort to keep going. 👍

14 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

Sorry, Duplicate post. 

Hi Nicam

Thanks for the input, I tried the dealers with no luck so far. However just an hour ago a breaker emailed who has one. Quoting about 100 delivered. Have to make sure its the right part, they will send a photo of it. Will ask them to leave to arms on it because i hear they can be a nightmare to get off.

Yes agree all round nice huge car.

Got it 3 months ago and unexpectedly bonded with it. Needed better Speakers.

The ford audio keeps trying to connect to my phone bluetooth

I can tell the turbo is going to need the mr muscle treatment soon but im prepared for that.

Will keep you updated.

Edit: turns out the breaker was mistaken and only had a saloon not an estate. Back to square 1

• Sad 1

Damn! Good job you were cautious and asked for a pic first. I suppose you've got to find a breaker willing to go to the bother of posting the part to you, as there MUST be estates being broken all over the country. 

Just an afterthought.... there's a Ford Facebook group, I'm not on it myself, but I think there's a link to it somewhere on here... might be worth asking on there... 🤔 

Another Facebook group is called Mondeo Part Market UK 

Interesting thread here from someone else having trouble finding rear suspension parts for an estate.. 

https://www.talkford.com/threads/how-come-no-one-breaks-the-estates-then.396447/#post-3154967

I decided to check the 'mondeo breaking' posts on eBay and message them direct.

Found 1 still on a vehicle but have to get it myself and its too far as no verification thats its going to be useable.

A few others on ebay- one was rotten, the other already sold.

I'm still trying, now contacting breakers direct but its getting harder and harder.

Thans for the tips about the facebook groups- I will join up and see what happens.

Being fair all the other components are available cheaply, its just this crossmember is rare as hens teeth.

Im considering posting on the local buy sell marketplace groups to ask if anyone can go and get one. Some guys live in the scappies and might know where one is locally.

Hi, I feel your pain! With you being in the west country, makes it even harder to try to source  a replacement. I take it that the other side is OK? Also the rest of the crossmember, do you think you could get  one fabricated or yours patched up by an engineering shop, as it is unboltable from the crossmember..... 🤔 

🤔

Hi, got a bit of info from my local Ford main dealer  today. The engineering number of the crossmember is:             1S71-5K067-BJ                      now, a lot of breakers would advertise this part using the engineering number, as this number is stamped onto the parts, whereas the Ford part number or finis code, isn't.     So will be worth doing an eBay or Google search using the engineering number. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i went to ford to price one up a while back, £400 if you can get one, and yes, it's part of the complete crossmember/subframe whatever you wish to call it

you can get complete second hand set ups for around £150 but they are always snapped up because they tend to  be so scarce

i've got 2 for my mk3, plus the one thats on the car

one had a rotten subframe but everything else was almost new, the other is fairly good so it's getting the powder coat treatment

the good thing about the replacement is that you can bolt everything to the frame and then bolt the frame into the car via 6 bolts and then add the brake lines, but be aware that if you can't get some of the bolts off you'll need new ones

some of the nuts are welded to the frame too so once it's off, apply loads and loads of wd40 type stuff a few days before you start stripping it down and any rusty bolts need replacing so price them up before you start the job, mainly the centre camber adjustment bolts and washers

the thing is HEAVY, and the bolts are manly, other than the arb ones, but again, make sure you have replacement drop links if they look a bit suspect as they are the most troublesome things to remove in my experience due to their location

as you can see, this is fairly terrible, but if you need any help just let me know and i'll take pics for you

No description available.

• Like 2

Hi Dojj, It's certainly made me realise that my m3 estate's days are probably numbered if and when the top mounts rot. What are the ones like on your collection?.... are they vulnerable to the rot? I see on your pic they've been removed

mine are rotten as yours, but they are fairly gone on this one, not bad on the other
this one would not stand up to a blasting in preparation for powdercoating though

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of outdoors

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

• Sad 1

Hi Dojj, Good pics! Are the bump stops (or spring mounts... 🤔) removable as  Mr Haynes says they are? The diagram on Catcar makes it look like they're bolted on..                              I wonder if the op, DES63 is making any progress.. 

i'll get some more pics of the other one i've got as that's in "better" condition

but it's still not perfect, i'll probably bite the bullet and buy a new one as and when, at least i'll know it's good

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club