Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel consumption (yes I know *boring*) - 2020 MHEV

Hey all, am up to about 1500 miles on my 2020 Fiesta ST-Line X 155MHev and frankly I'm a little shocked by the MPG. I've driven diesels for the last 20 years (aside from bikes) and I was told modern petrol engines were "nearly as fuel efficient" as diesels.

I realise my engine hasn't done alot of miles but I'm struggling to get anything close to 40mpg let alone above that. Had 8 miles range and stuck 25 quid in earlier and range is estimated to be 188 miles, which means every trip to my parents (200 miles round trip) is gonna cost me well over £25 a time.

Thankfully I don't do alot of mileage nowadays thanks to COVID and won't be for the foreseeable future so arguably this thread is completely pointless, but I was genuinely expecting it to easily get into the 40's on a nice steady motorway run.

For the best efficiency you will have to have the car in Eco Mode all the time  I guess.

10 hours ago, Peejay1977 said:

Thankfully I don't do alot of mileage nowadays

Thats why - i'm only getting around 36mpg at the moment - next week i'm going on a 400 mile round trip - I expect to get in the high 50's MPG

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

Thats why - i'm only getting around 36mpg at the moment - next week i'm going on a 400 mile round trip - I expect to get in the high 50's MPG

I did a 220 mile round trip (all motorway on cruise control at 75) a few weeks ago. 41mpg was the most I got. But I’ll see if it improves over time. 

46 minutes ago, Peejay1977 said:

I did a 220 mile round trip (all motorway on cruise control at 75) a few weeks ago. 41mpg was the most I got. But I’ll see if it improves over time. 

to be fair 75mph is not very fuel efficient best economy is a boring 55 - 60 mph

Th 1.0EB seems more efficient at even lower speeds than that tbh.  Very different to a 2.0 TDI that prefers to cruise at 60+.

I must admit though, I don't know how you can make a Fiesta drink so much...my Focus with the same engine is still sat on 45mpg average mostly town driving and idling on the driveway.

If the Fiesta is anything like the Focus then you might find sport mode is more economical on short trips. 

If it is any help. Picked up my new 125 MHev early March. In April it drove 179 miles of mainly short trips and got 31.86 MPG. In May I did a long return trip and some short trips covering 338 miles and got 46.90 MPG.

It is quite rare that I get less than 40mpg per tankful in my 1.0 140 (non-hybrid). The only times I have, is in winter when it's cold and engine uses more fuel to warm up. I normally get 41-45mpg. I have got 46-48 on long journeys to Folkestone and back.

I am very surprised the MHEV gets worse economy as I thought the motor would help. Maybe it's the extra weight of motor and batteries uses more fuel?

Hi

Mines an non hybrid (2014 model) and I am getting 37.3mpg but don't do much miles. Not happy I am getting that, Stop-start rarely cuts in.

Hope this helps

26 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Maybe it's the extra weight of motor and batteries uses more fuel?

It's only a tiny battery so the weight difference is very small - away on holiday at the mo so don't have the info to hand. 

My overall average over 3 years is around 45 (non-hybrid 140) and it usually goes over 50 with a  decent run. Never used eco mode, usually disable start-stop.

battery is indeed very small, positioned under the drivers seat . weight would be next to nothing in relation to the vehicle weight. the alternator/motor is aprox 1/3 more in size/weight . 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, I know it’s a dry topic. Just got back from seeing my parents, on the way there all motorway I managed to just sneak it into the 50’s, just. Within a mile of being off the motorway it www down to 48 and eventually down to 46.  Came back the scenic route over the Cat and Fiddle and got home with the average over 180 miles being 34.1

Over the 800miles I've covered in my 155mhev, I'm averaging 44mpg through mainy town driving with a spattering of spirited drives on the back roads. 

I only use 99 fuel as it helped the mpg in my old car so thought I'd continue.

58 minutes ago, Scottyghia said:

Over the 800miles I've covered in my 155mhev, I'm averaging 44mpg through mainy town driving with a spattering of spirited drives on the back roads. 

I only use 99 fuel as it helped the mpg in my old car so thought I'd continue.

Through town even on 99 I’m barely getting mid 30’s but I must admit it does seem to prefer higher octane fuel 

It's strange that i can come close to a lot of these EB on the MPG and i have the old 1.6 Ti-vct Titanium  and drive very local.

I think a "trained" and light right foot on the accelerator pedal helps.  It is possible to manage around 50mpg if we drive economically.  Otherwise,  we should be getting around 35ish mpg.

MPG1.jpg

MPG2.jpeg

On 6/19/2021 at 10:20 PM, Peejay1977 said:

Hey all, am up to about 1500 miles on my 2020 Fiesta ST-Line X 155MHev and frankly I'm a little shocked by the MPG. I've driven diesels for the last 20 years (aside from bikes) and I was told modern petrol engines were "nearly as fuel efficient" as diesels.

I realise my engine hasn't done alot of miles but I'm struggling to get anything close to 40mpg let alone above that. Had 8 miles range and stuck 25 quid in earlier and range is estimated to be 188 miles, which means every trip to my parents (200 miles round trip) is gonna cost me well over £25 a time.

Thankfully I don't do alot of mileage nowadays thanks to COVID and won't be for the foreseeable future so arguably this thread is completely pointless, but I was genuinely expecting it to easily get into the 40's on a nice steady motorway run.

Lots of people, for some reason, have started to believe that modern MHEV or PHEV vehicles are as efficient as Diesels and are swapping to Petrol because they believe the hype over Diesel gate. They're not.

You'll be lucky to see mid 40's on a run once it's run in or mid 30's round town

My little 2.0 litre DIESEL Focus (I know - go staight to hell, do not pass Go and do not collect £200) is pottering round town on short runs and getting a horrible 48.6 MPG, and when I take it on a run on a Motorway without roadworks, it manages to only do 58.9 MPG !!!  I should have bought a MHev or maybe not !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

My little 2.0 litre DIESEL Focus (I know - go staight to hell, do not pass Go and do not collect £200) is pottering round town on short runs and getting a horrible 48.6 MPG, and when I take it on a run on a Motorway without roadworks, it manages to only do 58.9 MPG !!!  I should have bought a MHev or maybe not !!!

Our little 1.5 litre DIESEL went straight to Chapel st Leonard's last Sunday evening. It too did not pass go either and returned a steady 68.2mpg with a bit of both normal and sport mode as and when possible with a mixture of A and B roads.

On the return trip which I chose to go the longer motorway ( 22 miles further but only 5 mins extra travel time) it returned slightly less at 64.8mpg but I was hitting 70/75mph. 

Overall it's now hitting around 52mpg ...shudder.....oh the shame....😀

• Like 1

As I've said many times on this topic before the biggest two factors for fuel economy are driving conditions (temperature, load carried, type of roads etc...) and driving style (smoothness, anticipation etc....)

Assuming there is no fault with your vehicle that could be reducing the consumption you should be easily getting mid 40's with any of the ecoboost variants (not sure about the current MHEV's though)

My current 2019 140 St-Line (with about 30,000miles  on the clock) is averaging about 46-48 mpg in the colder months and currently (in June) it's doing about 53mpg on my daily 70 mile round trip commute.

I'm not using eco mode or the start stop feature and I'm not driving slowly. I'm doing an indicated 75mph or so on the motorways (about 70% of my journey)  and moving along at a brisk pace on the other roads where possible. If I was trying to drive it more economically I'm sure I would be getting in the high 50's in the warmer months.

I'm measuring it by the brim to brim method and not quoting figures from the dash readout, although to be fair that's only slightly optimistic showing about 55mpg when I'm getting 53mpg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blatto said:

As I've said many times on this topic before the biggest two factors for fuel economy are driving conditions (temperature, load carried, type of roads etc...) and driving style (smoothness, anticipation etc....)

Assuming there is no fault with your vehicle that could be reducing the consumption you should be easily getting mid 40's with any of the ecoboost variants (not sure about the current MHEV's though)

My current 2019 140 St-Line (with about 30,000miles  on the clock) is averaging about 46-48 mpg in the colder months and currently (in June) it's doing about 53mpg on my daily 70 mile round trip commute.

I'm not using eco mode or the start stop feature and I'm not driving slowly. I'm doing an indicated 75mph or so on the motorways (about 70% of my journey)  and moving along at a brisk pace on the other roads where possible. If I was trying to drive it more economically I'm sure I would be getting in the high 50's in the warmer months.

I'm measuring it by the brim to brim method and not quoting figures from the dash readout, although to be fair that's only slightly optimistic showing about 55mpg when I'm getting 53mpg.

After you post on the topics about factors affecting fuel economy,  I normally come along and quote my mpg figures on my MK3 focus ecoboost I had for 4-5 years 😂😂 (60-70mpg by the way) then quote my heavy Mondeo diesel consumption , and yeah it's all diesel blah blah blah. ( 70mpg)

All down to driving style and reading the road ahead. 

To be fair my partner has a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost and she get 53mpg. I can't squeeze more than 58mpg out of that . 

Totally agree with the last two posts. 

I try to minimise braking by reading the road ahead but whilst keeping up with the flow. Stop start doesn't come into for me as it's hardly worked in months ( perhaps twice in the last 3 months if I'm lucky). 

On our trip to Chapel st Leonard's I also had extra weight in the car roughly an extra 140kg with 38kg sat wagging her tail In the boot. I'll refrain from trying to decipher how much the luggage weighed but 3 large holdhalls and a host of other things minus the kitchen sink 🙄 and the Mrs in the passenger seat 😲....it all adds up you know 😉

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

Totally agree with the last two posts. 

I try to minimise braking by reading the road ahead but whilst keeping up with the flow. Stop start doesn't come into for me as it's hardly worked in months ( perhaps twice in the last 3 months if I'm lucky). 

On our trip to Chapel st Leonard's I also had extra weight in the car roughly an extra 140kg with 38kg sat wagging her tail In the boot. I'll refrain from trying to decipher how much the luggage weighed but 3 large holdhalls and a host of other things minus the kitchen sink 🙄 and the Mrs in the passenger seat 😲....it all adds up you know 😉

My Mrs in the car reduces the mpg. Not cause she's a fat biffa but I put the foot down to get to destination as quick as possible. Nag nag nag. 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

I think MPG on any car is mainly down to how you drive it and where you drive,if you drive very local stop and start and have a heavy foot it will be bad and same for long runs it will do the best.

I never use the in car MPG as it's way off, it always shows you more and in a lot of cases a lot more,if i want a good check i check a few online.