Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cracked windscreen

N Hopes

I have a 2019 Fiesta and a crack has appeared in the middle of the screen by the dashboard without anything hitting it and I phoned my insurance company who put me through to a windscreen company and they said there are none in stock has anyone else had the same trouble.

What they mean is they have no 'insurance grade' windscreens in stock. Just go back to your insurance company and tell them you need to use another company.

If the crack falls in the area of the screen cleaned by the wipers then the screen must be replaced immediately or risk being prosecuted. Of course you could always ask the insurance company to provide a loan car if they insist on using the company with no stock.

• Like 1

I had the same trouble last year on a different car and had to pay out of my own pocket as Insurance wouldn't sort it out.

Contact your local scrapyards, they'll have screens and business cards for local fitters usually for a fraction of the cost,

• 3 weeks later...

I had a new screen fitted to my car today by a windscreen company done through my insurance company and took just over an hour as he had to calibrate the camera fitted to the screen but the new screen was faulty as the camera did not fit correctly on the screen and now have to have another new screen fitted hopefully next week. He had to take it out to calibrate the camera and when I went out in it after he had gone the brakes are now juddering and have a rattle coming from the back. I will speak to them tomorrow.

So you drove round for 3 weeks with an illegal windscreen just so that you could have a 'copy' windscreen fitted by a second rate fitter. Words fail me on this occasion. 🤔

The crack was not in the area cleaned by the wipers and the screen was fitted by a well known company and the screen was from Ford. I never said I was using the car only when the new screen was fitted as I have three other cars I can use.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:58 PM, N Hopes said:

crack has appeared in the middle of the screen by the dashboard

and now

27 minutes ago, N Hopes said:

crack was not in the area cleaned by the wipers

So if the car has been parked up and not used for 3 over weeks maybe the brakes are sticking a bit and its not the fault of the windscreen guy ?