Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 MK2 Instrument cluster swap?

Matts95

I've recently had my cluster repaired and got it back and found the speedo is still stuck on 20mph, and wiggles on gauge sweep.

Rather than getting it "fixed" again, is there a way to swap these with a scrappy? Plug & play, or does it require recoding?

I have 2007 1.6 style, thanks

It's not so easy to swap the instrument cluster. Yes it will need to be reprogrammed for the PAT's security system to work and allow your car to start. Also you need the mileage on the replacment unit to be less than the mileage on your car so that you can then adjust the mileage forward. It is not possible to reduce the mileage on the replacment unit.

You could of course "transplant" just the speedo unit from a replacment unit and keep the rest of your instrument cluster.

if not fixed , return to repairer.

youtube will tell you how to get it out 10 minute job, hardest bit is not loosing the 2*20mm torx down the steering column with the screws out put a plastic spudger between the top of the cluster and the dash, go about 6 inches deep and if needed something a bit thicker it will pop out.. Have the needles been removed and then put back properly. I had mine out the otherday so i could photograph the back for part numbers.

It's a tough one as it seems to be inconsistent, the repair guy is solid tbh and has work extensively on this for me. He replaced all of the solder and the mph motor, the needle got stuck for him before repair and not once after. As soon as I got it drove for a bit, it started to creep above 0 on stationary so I did a sweep and then it got stuck on 20mph.

He said he would repair the cluster FOC if it isn't fixed but I can't afford to be without the car any longer. He's arranged for some test clocks to see if the car is causing it, if not then he will get me a new key as two are required and then programme some new clocks over a remote session. Had to go into overdraft thinking it would be fixed on first try but seems not and now more money to be spent. As a father it's even more frustrating, so I hope to get it fixed/replaced soon by other means.

I initially made this post as I was getting frustrated and thought if I can replace them, then job done. But clearly there's a lot of factors to consider before you can do that.

Thanks for you guys response

205554780_158591179597032_1747053524175900491_n.jpg

He could've pushed the needle back on too much causing drag.

Lift it very gently and keep doing sweeps until it settles

The repairer has offered FOC on having another bash, take him up on it till resolved. I note your in Essex so is it he repairer recons ? Nail them down to a 24hr or same day turnaround.

TBF you could have a cluster like mine that you have not got a hope in hell of fixing, luckily its still running

5 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

He could've pushed the needle back on too much causing drag.

Lift it very gently and keep doing sweeps until it settles

If by drag you mean catching the clock sheet/plastic? I think that's already been ruled out, appears to be plenty of clearance. Initially he got me to pull the needle off myself, there was slight movement of the card which we thought could be the cause as it didn't occur for sometime after but eventually it got stuck on 5mph, I ran a sweep and it got stuck on 140MPH so evidentially not. (I have videos of this if you want to see, before the repair)

On diagnosis he repaired the clusters that were cracked and the RPM and MPH motor. He drove it for some miles and didn't see an issue so sent it back. 

I think while I wait for the test clocks I'm going to put together some money and get a spare key, and then get another cluster one programmed.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pm_4_GXgu7Bf3WT2mtWWtqxGe-Z2TJuD?usp=sharing

5 minutes ago, JImpster said:

The repairer has offered FOC on having another bash, take him up on it till resolved. I note your in Essex so is it he repairer recons ? Nail them down to a 24hr or same day turnaround.

TBF you could have a cluster like mine that you have not got a hope in hell of fixing, luckily its still running

Honestly I would if I could but where I live it's very difficult due to work commitments, child care, social anxiety etc. I borrowed my bosses car but had to give it back, and kept topping it up as the MPG was shocking. Not having my car had a serious affect on my mental health also, I got the bus back from dropping the car off and almost had a panic attack and felt horribly sick. It's not them no, I'm in Witham it's a chap who everyone recommended on the FB pages up in Aylesbury 90 mile drive, tbh I've never seen an unhappy customer either highly recommended. It sounds like it may be as close to yours but without error codes! Some things just can't be fixed 😕

I'm just waiting for him to let me know when he's sending the test clocks. As soon as I confirm it's not the car I will look into getting a 2nd key and then programme a new one I guess. He does offer a service where he can send me a OBD reader and programme it all remotely. Just money money money 😩

from the vids IMO the needles are not back in correct alignment. pull them and reseat fractionally further round, not actually pulled mine to bits but am assuming [yes i know] theyre a spline or 2 out.

hpoefully youll sort it.

mine

car5.jpg

10 minutes ago, JImpster said:

from the vids IMO the needles are not back in correct alignment. pull them and reseat fractionally further round, not actually pulled mine to bits but am assuming [yes i know] theyre a spline or 2 out.

hpoefully youll sort it.

mine

car5.jpg

Hey pal, so when I got the clocks sent back to me they were similar to that i.e in correct alignment  ^ as soon as I started to drive they showed signs of getting stuck, the sweep is what made it worse.

Cheers pal

1 minute ago, JImpster said:

bent shafts ?

I don't think so, though being a novice I have absolutely no idea where to check 😂 Once he sends me these test clocks I'll know for sure!

• Like 1

I had the cluster repaired it was struggling to work and behave and being it was a 57 plate with 140k miles I figured might as well before it properly lets me down, but still on occasions the gauges did strange things just after start, a new battery sorted it out and there where new fault codes I threw away too

I didn't think the battery was gone, it always cranked with gusto, but the run round the M25 taking the cluster for repair (which he claimed was in a bad shape before the fix - no real need to say that - he was getting the money and had done the job already), finished off the battery.  It was really odd I'd taken the battery off to remove the cluster and it needed a helping hand to get us home again.... two years on that same "new battery" did 6 months untouched during covid and it fired up as if still new....  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club