Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB stick not supported message (Fiesta 12 plate)

Balaclava

I don't think my car is capable of bluetooth, probably just a base model, i had a 13 plate zetec and it had a phone button on the dash next to menu/sound/radio button, that car had bluetooth,  my current fieata doesn't have a phone button so would assume it cant have bluetooth.

guys just thought...could it be a faulty usb port and he could change that some how? it might have have like a clip on the back of it or something if he could get it out and unclip it and try another one? or the clip on the backs come loose or something?

34 minutes ago, Balaclava said:

I don't think my car is capable of bluetooth, probably just a base model, i had a 13 plate zetec and it had a phone button on the dash next to menu/sound/radio button, that car had bluetooth,  my current fieata doesn't have a phone button so would assume it cant have bluetooth.

Are the preset buttons 1-6 with the smaller screen or 0-10 and normal sized screen?

This is the type

download.jpg

USB is similar to this, except the aux is on right and usb on left, it appears this square section pops out if prized open, 

usb-aux (1).jpg

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and trying again?

If your USB is on the left, then it's fitted upside down. Someone has been in there before you which indicates a rudimentary fault finding exercise by someone for the previous owner. 

19 minutes ago, Marky146 said:

If your USB is on the left, then it's fitted upside down. Someone has been in there before you which indicates a rudimentary fault finding exercise by someone for the previous owner. 

Not sure about that. In the old brochure I mentioned earlier in the thread, the USB port is shown on the left also the USB is turned 90 degrees to that shown above, ie "portrait" rather than "landscape". Perhaps there were variations in build. Can't remember which way it was on the 2 Mk 7s we had.

43 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

the USB port is shown on the left also the USB is turned 90 degrees to that shown above, ie "portrait" rather than "landscape".

This rings a bell. The picture above is probably from a facelift.

• Like 1

I would think if it only has buttons 1-6 then it can't have bluetooth. It would be difficult dialing the phone number without 7,8,9,0.

My guess is no handsfree bluetooth unless you find the missing buttons 🤣

I think the usb is legit un tampered with, prob just a low spec model variant, Yeah i agree, the number buttons are probably just for radio station preset channels, no bluetooth on this model of mine sadly. I have a parrot installed which handles the phone calls, just gonna have the usb connector looked at as it doesn't recognize when something is plugged in to it, any ideas on cost for its repair best and worst case?

I doubt it's an issue with the port itself. Do a visual check and make sure the pins inside are all straight and equal distance apart. There's nothing else to them, just a few wires going off to the radio module.

Have you also done my suggestion above?

It's strange, The usb port detects the currys pc world 32gb usb stick because it says "Not supported" so because of this im thinking teh port may not be the problem, it may be the 2 usb sticks im using., when I insert the cruzer 2.0 usb 32gb stick, it doesn't detect it or give amy on screen  message. I wonder if this car only detects and accepts a certain kind of usb stick and size? I have tried a 2.0 32gb and it just didn't detect it, Ive also tried teh currys pc world 32gb stick that it did detect but rejected saying not supported, and yes ive formatted it to every possible format to see if it accepts.

All that is left is the actual size of the stick, perhaps my ford only accepts 4gb/8gb/16gb and not 32gb as ive been using.

Of course the port may well be the problem, as it rejects the 2.0 usb flash stick, and doesnt detect my iPhone being plugged in, but does detect but rejects the 3.0 usb stick. Seems odd that it doesn't detect an iPhone or 2.0 usb, but does detect and reject the 3.0 stick.

I haven't tried disconnecting the battery yet, will try that at weekend.

Weird indeed. If it can detect a stick and bring up a message it does suggest that the port is live.

With regard to stick capacity, I just fished out the stick I mentioned earlier that I've been using for years, and it's a SanDisk Cruzer USB 2.0 8Gb. 

The handbook (downloadable off the Ford website) for a 2012 does suggest that all USB sticks are not guaranteed to work:

GENERAL INFORMATION

CAUTION   CAUTION:  Take care when handling external devices with exposed electrical connectors (such as the USB plug). Always replace the protective cap/shield when possible. There may be a risk of electrostatic discharge causing damage to the device.
CAUTION   CAUTION:  Do not touch or handle the USB socket in the vehicle. Cover the socket when not in use.
CAUTION   CAUTION:  Only use USB Mass-Storage device compliant devices.
CAUTION   CAUTION:  Always switch your audio unit to a different source (for example the radio) before unplugging the USB device.
CAUTION   CAUTION:  Do not install or connect USB hubs or splitters.

Note:   The system is only designed to recognize and read suitable audio files from a USB device that conforms to the USB Mass-Storage device class or an iPod. Not all available USB devices can be guaranteed to function with the system.
Note:   It is possible to connect compatible devices with a trailing USB lead as well as those that plug into the vehicle USB socket directly (for example USB memory sticks and pen drives).
Note:   Some USB devices with a higher power consumption may not be compatible (for example some larger hard drives).
Note:   Access time to read the files on the external device will vary depending upon factors such as the file structure, size and device content.
The system supports a range of external devices, to fully integrate with your audio unit via the USB and auxiliary input sockets. Once connected, control of the external device is possible via the audio unit.
A list of typical compatible devices are shown below:
  • USB memory sticks
  • USB portable hard drives
  • Some MP3 players with USB connection
  • iPod media players (refer to www.ford-mobile -connectivity.com for latest compatibility list).
The system is USB 2.0 full speed compatible, USB 1.1 host compliant and supports FAT 16/32 file systems.
Information on audio file structures for external devices
USB
Create only a single partition on the USB device.
We recommend that you put MP3 files in a folder.
If playlists are created, they must contain correct file paths referenced to the USB device. It is recommended to create the playlist after the audio files have been transferred to the USB device.
Playlists must be created in .m3u format.
Audio files must be in .mp3 format.
Do not exceed the following limits:
  • 1000 items per folder (files, folders and playlists)
  • 5000 folders per USB device (including playlists)
  • 8 subfolder levels.
To enable voice control for custom playlists and folders, follow the procedure below:
  • Create folders named with the structure "Ford<*>" where <*> is a number 1-10. For example "Ford3" without an extension.
  • Create playlists named with the structure "Ford<*>.m3u" where <*> is a number 1-10. For example "Ford5.m3u" without any space between "Ford" and the number.
Thereafter, custom folders and playlists will be selectable with voice control.   See   Audio unit commands

Thanks for the detail, I will buy an 8gb 2.0 and see if it likes it, I have also split my songs into 2 folders with no more than 1000 .mp3 files in each folder to correlate with the guide, previously I just had one folder with 2000 mp3 files in using my 32gb cruzer 2.0 and pc world 32gb 3.0. Still it doesn't detect iPhone which considering it detected the usb stick, is strange, I will try multiple cables as I have several and report back.

fingers crossed

All 3 cables undetected when plugged into iPhone, but again when inserted usb 3.0 it said unsupported, so somethings up..

The iPhone lead with a standard USB plug on the end is only for power (charging) not for data. iPhones don't support USB, but I'm willing to be proved wrong if someone knows better 😀

Yes, could it be a case of things being too modern for the car? Nearly 10 years since we parted with our last Mk 7 which was an Edge so fairly basic. Used nothing in that more sophisticated than the 8GB stick mentioned above and a very basic Nokia (and then only to charge it).

On 6/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, BlueMike2021 said:

I use one of these in my Mk8- it's absolutely tiny which means I can't accidentally whack it or anything like that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MDXBT87/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got one of those in my MK7, perfect size for use in head unit's and where the USB port in this car. 👍

On 7/6/2021 at 11:59 AM, Balaclava said:

All that is left is the actual size of the stick, perhaps my ford only accepts 4gb/8gb/16gb and not 32gb as ive been using.

I would have to check for certain, but, I'm pretty sure I'm using a 32GB memory stick in my car.

If you stick to a maximum of a 16GB stick and also one that is USB2.0 only, it should work. It MUST be FAT32 format only. Nothing else is supportable to load your music or updates on and be recognised. I learned that by trial and error myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marky146 said:

If you stick to a maximum of a 16GB stick and also one that is USB2.0 only, it should work. It MUST be FAT32 format only. Nothing else is supportable to load your music or updates on and be recognised. I learned that by trial and error myself.

and make sure the files are .mp3 🙂

I tested the 8gb 2.0 fat 32 and it is detected, however it says "usb disconnected" intermittently. When I insert it into the port I press AUX and it says line in, I press the select button, nothing happens, then it says USB disconnected even though its isnt. 

9 minutes ago, Balaclava said:

usb disconnected" intermittently

Sounds like you have a faulty/damaged USB socket on the car

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club