Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 3 door air noise / recommended seals

Jon Bhoy

Hi all,

I have a Zetec S 2010 3 door Focus .I have had some air noises from the OEM mirrors where i use a bit of mastic and it works but more and more at higher speeds i am hearing wind noise around the door as though the seals just arent up to the job. Have seen in a few places that this is a usual problem but wondering if anyone could recommend better seals either to replace the originals with or add on seals to help solve the issue.

Many thanks in advance folks.

I don't think anyone ever came up with a proper "fix", it's just how the MK2/MK2.5s are.

Wind noise is indeed very common on the Focus MK2/Mk2.5.

The Focus MK2/C-max MK1 was designed/developed 20 Years ago. At that time sound insulation did not have much priority. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 has always been known to have poor sound insulation. On these cars engine noise, tyre noise and wind noise are very common.

However since the production of the MK2.5 stopped at the end of 2010 the door and window seals of the MK2/MK2.5 are at least 10 Years old. During time the material of the seals can shrink, deteriorate or become hard/brittle. This can result in excessive wind noise.

Replacing the seals may improve the wind noise but to not expect miracles. On a Focus MK2/MK2.5 there will always be a considerable amount of wind noise. Replacing the seals is quite costly. Many of the seals are no longer available from Ford and the seals that are still available are quite expensive.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Wind noise is indeed very common on the Focus MK2/Mk2.5.

The Focus MK2/C-max MK1 was designed/developed 20 Years ago. At that time sound insulation did not have much priority. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 has always been known to have poor sound insulation. On these cars engine noise, tyre noise and wind noise are very common.

However since the production of the MK2.5 stopped at the end of 2010 the door and window seals of the MK2/MK2.5 are at least 10 Years old.

I'm very lucky with my 2005 Nk2, it's pretty silent. As for the door seals, a regular rub (every couple of months) with a rag and a squirt of WD40 has kept them all nice and supple. (I know some will say that WD40 will destroy them, but in practice, I have not found that). Though TBH I'm a bit OCD, there's not many nutters like me that'll 'maintain' the door/boot seals LOL

• Haha 1