Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel nuts are cross-threaded. Need to replace soon?

M Lam

Hi

I just changed my two front tyres from Atsmaster. After they help me to change it. They told me the wheel nuts are cross-threaded. They suggest I buy the nuts (and probably the studs too) from somewhere and they will help me to replace that for all the wheels.

I am just curious that I need to replace it soon. My car is quite old, so I try not to spend too much money. Or I can wait till my next tyres change?

Thanks

If they're cross threaded then the nuts won't go on. The only reason they cross thread is because people haven't fitted them correctly. You can get a full replacement set on eBay for around £20.

In terms of the studs on the hub, you should be able to run an m12 die down the thread to clean them up without the need to replace them. It's more time consuming than you think to replace wheel studs, especially if the hub has to come off the car in order to feed the stuff through the back.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

If they're cross threaded then the nuts won't go on. The only reason they cross thread is because people haven't fitted them correctly. You can get a full replacement set on ebay for around £20.

In terms of the studs on the hub, you should be able to run an m12 die down the thread to clean them up without the need to replace them. It's more time consuming than you think to replace wheel studs, especially if the hub has to come off the car in order to feed the stuff through the back.

Thanks. Ats euromaster charged £20 for that job. And they mentions the nuts are around few pounds each. The eBay price save me a lots. And the Kwit Fit happy to do that for FREE.

You could change every wheel nut in less than 5 minutes using a nut runner. Don't even need to jack the car up if you do it one at a time.

6 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

You could change every wheel nut in less than 5 minutes using a nut runner. Don't even need to jack the car up if you do it one at a time.

Oic...

Thanks for your suggestion. I will probably do that. Save mine time for waiting

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club