Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6TDCi Limp Mode Issues

_dan_

Hello all.

Firstly sorry for the long read - I want to give as much info/diagnostics as I can to try and get to the bottom of this...Really hoping someone can give me some advice on this as its driving me mad here!

So I have a 2008(58) 1.6d - using the Citroen HDi/Ford TDCI engine all mechanics seem to know and hate. Its Euro 4 so it has the EGR but no DPF.

About a month ago it went into limp mode. It still drove but really struggled to get above 3k RPM and was very sluggish to pick up speed when driving. The weird thing was when the car is first started it drive perfectly for about the first 15 -.20 seconds then straight to limp. Turn her off and straight back on and its the same every time. Seems like the turbo isn't boosting.

That lasted for a few weeks and then it cut out while driving. AA recovered to a garage who confirmed AA diagnosis of EGR valve and replaced. £350 later I picked the car up. Mechanic advised the car also had a problem with the boost solenoid and so was still down on power but would drive. (I know the EGR was at least partly at fault as it had been diagnosed by a different mechanic previously).

I managed to pick up a boost solenoid online and fitted that myself. Confirmed vacuum right up to the turbo (took pipe off the turbo actuator and can feel it sucking) but its still exactly the same. Drives perfectly when first switched on but then goes into limp mode.

Now I know the vacuum is good right up to the turbo. I know the turbo and actuator are working as the car drives fine on startup. I have a cheap code reader which finds no faults at all on the car and there is no EML (the code reader does work - I unplugged the MAF to generate a code which was picked up no problem).

At this point I don't know where to go next as I have no diagnostic info to work on and everything I can think to test seems to be working fine.

I'm leaning towards it being a mechanical issue rather than anything electrical as no codes or EML. Makes me think its something the ECU thinks is working but actually isn't. Maybe a sensor generating false readings?

I loathed to take to any more garages for diagnostics as I'm already nearly £400 into this and the car probably isn't worth much more than that anyway.

Hoping someone here might be a bit more familiar with these engines and have some idea on what I could check next?

Thanks for reading this far!

Dan

22 minutes ago, _dan_ said:

there is no EML (the code reader does work - I unplugged the MAF to generate a code which was picked up no problem).

That's a bit of a flawed test really. The problem with generic readers is they only pick up 'basic' codes. Ideally you'd use Forscan on a laptop and a modified Elm327 cable. This can do so much more than generic scanners (such as read specific modules, reprogram configuration settings, injector programing etc.).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely take a look into the software/cable. Looks like it could be useful .

I know the generic readers can be pretty useless but I figured the car would at least throw an EML or something if it was putting itself into limp mode like that. It must have done at least 100miles as it is now so plenty of time for the EML to flick on if it was going to. That made me think its likely either something mechanical that the car thinks is working when its not, or some sensor thats given up and is reporting some default values that is making the car think everything is okay when its not.

My knowledge is pretty limited though so its very likely I'm way off with this.