Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold function

Andyr55
聽Share

I have just noticed the auto hold button on my focus 馃槼

I can understand use on an automatic when the car will move forward in drive but on a manual car .?

surely if in neutral the car isn鈥檛 moving unless on a slope I suppose.

does the button just save you the effort of pressing your foot on the brake pedal?

Saves you having to keep your foot on the pedal or using the handbrake switch聽

3 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

surely if in neutral the car isn鈥檛 moving unless on a slope I suppose.

It's for young whippersnappers who don't know how to do a hill start using the handbrake 馃檮

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With most being DSG type gearboxes even autos don't creep any more (then they lurch uncontrollably when you touch the throttle :rolleyes:聽).

Auto hold is fantastic imo, just push the pedal a little harder to trigger it and it then holds the brakes on until you want to move off.聽 Vast improvement over 'hill start assist' which could only be bothered to hold the brakes for 3 seconds regardless of any clutch bite... :laugh:

• Like 2

Auto hold is brill, come to a stop and take your foot off the brake. So relaxing.

I don't think I could have another聽 car without it TBH

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just remember to turn your auto stop/start off if you want to keep your battery charged and your auto hold working correctly.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:18 AM, Dark Andy said:

Just remember to turn your auto stop/start off if you want to keep your battery charged and your auto hold working correctly.

Sorry dude , as we say up here..that鈥檚 pish. Lol聽

my auto hold will turn itself off in some circumstances tho not often at all.

Not once in 2 years have I turned S/S off.聽

both features work in tandem ..at least they should.聽

10 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Sorry dude , as we say up here..that鈥檚 pish. Lol聽

my auto hold will turn itself off in some circumstances tho not often at all.

Not once in 2 years have I turned S/S off.聽

both features work in tandem ..at least they should.聽

Stop/Start is controlled by the PCM, Auto Hold is controlled by the ABS module. Totally different.

If battery voltage is low, the car will forget it's settings. That's why a lot of the autos are getting clutch "clunk" too. Ford have saved money, but caused hassle, by fitting a "that'll effing do" battery instead of one that does the job correctly.

If the voltage is good then check the software in the ABS module is at the correct level.

If you aren't using the car enough to keep the (low capacity) battery charged, fit a larger capacity battery.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:08 AM, DaveT70 said:

If you aren't using the car enough to keep the (low capacity) battery charged, fit a larger capacity battery

If you change the battery capacity you will need to update the car configuration, according to @JW1982. In any case if the car's not generating enough power to keep even a low-capacity battery charged fitting a larger one won't help.

• Like 1

This whole battery capacity thing has me confused. Ford fit a battery to a moden vehicle of a given size, and then design the charging system to typically only charge the battery to 80% of its capacity !!

Now it would seem more logical to fit either a smaller capacity battery and charge it to 100% or, change the design of the charging circuit so that it fully charges the larger battery thats already fitted.

However given the strange state of affairs with present systems, mjt is correct, fitting a larger capacity battery will not sort the problem, it may end up being only charged to 60% of its capacity.

Henry Ford never had these problems with the model T 馃ぃ

Stop start on the model T worked every time!

It was likely to break your arm though... :laugh:

Even then Ford were behind on the tech, I think it was Cadillac offering electronic keyless start 100 years ago!

• Haha 1

Just for a bit of light entertainment, the boss has a fleet of local service buses. They are all keyless, none more than 3 years old, and he never has any trouble with the system at all.

How does the system work then?

It's easy and fool proof. First there are no door locks, immobilisers or other fancy protective devices.

You just sit in the drivers seat, switch on the electrical master switch, press the start button and away you go.

As far as I know he has never lost any through theft.

And for your further entertainment, he also has a long distance coach fleet, all recent vehicles.

These coaches are more like cars with metal keys, some with plipers as well. It's common to find all coaches of the same make and model fitted with the same ignition key profile. I have only heard of one coach theft during my 35 years association with the industry.

You might say who wants to nick a bus or coach anyway but have you looked at the prices. A new coach just like the one I drive every day cost around 拢330,000. He has one which cost 拢500,000, yes that's right half a million pounds each.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ScaniaPBman said:

These coaches are more like cars with metal keys, some with plipers聽

Don't see that term much. Totally off topic but a thing that amused me some years back on holiday in France, at the time when remote locking was a newish thing.聽

Wandering round the car showrooms, as I often do while Madame is doing the shops, all the cars seemed to have big notices saying "Maintenant avec plip!!" Obviously caused great excitement over there馃榾.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club