Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sticky / Notchy Steering Mondeo mk5 2017

Loz1970

Hello hope someone can help.

I have an sticky feeling issue between about 5 to 10 mins past 12 o'clock on my steering, 12 being centre and only on right hand bends, mine is an Aug 2017 Mondeo 1.5 Diesel, nothing to do with lane assist, no steering recalls on Etis either. I've disconnected my battery to reset everything and it's much much better, but I can still feel a bite between 5 to 10 past, but only after I've been driving a while. Not noticeable on motorways, but on country lanes or windy roads it becomes obvious. Also the park assist appears fine, seems to know where centre is and steers the car fine into a parking space.

I bought this car 2nd hand, only had for just over 4 months, I thought maybe the subframe maybe out of alignment but it would have been the same after the reset surely? But the dealer did replace the worn steering wheel and I'm wondering if they wound the clock spring by accident?

Any help would be appreciated, I would like to fix myself if possible.

BTW I have Forscan & ODBE adapter if there is something I can do on there?

Hi, I've read that there's an issue with the bolts holding the power steering motor corroding and breaking, as I think they're aluminium, but not sure if it applies to your model. There is NO recall, and Ford have so far resisted any liability in the matter. Might be worth you taking a look at yours just in case. Or maybe someone else on the forum can advise better... 

• Like 1

There is actually a recall for the bolts now, if they are found to be missing or snapped on removal than a while new rack is fitted. If you send me your reg I can check if there's a recall outstanding 👍

Thanks for the replies, I doubt it could be steering bolts as it only affects 2015 and earlier models I believe, mine was built on 08.03.2017, and Etis states “No Campaign Message(s) found”

I will see if I can get to them and test with a magnet anyway over the weekend to be sure, but it got tons better after disconnecting and reconnecting my battery, but it still has a bite at about 20 degrees or so.

2 hours ago, Loz1970 said:

Thanks for the replies, I doubt it could be steering bolts as it only affects 2015 and earlier models I believe, mine was built on 08.03.2017, and Etis states “No Campaign Message(s) found”

I will see if I can get to them and test with a magnet anyway over the weekend to be sure, but it got tons better after disconnecting and reconnecting my battery, but it still has a bite at about 20 degrees or so.

If it gets better after doing a hard reset I can assume it's the power steering control module as disconnecting the battery will not affect anything mechanical directly, only electrical stuff including motors. 

Its possible it could be the clock spring as the steering wheel has been replaced but it's a mechanical part so again I don't see how the battery disconnect will affect this. 

Whilst stationary if you turn the steering wheel side to side does it do it or still only on country lanes?

Hi,

Haven't had time to do the magnet test on the bolts yet, however, side to side stationary is absolutely fine. I know I'm not alone with this, others have asked the same question for the same issue but got no replies elsewhere. Also, no errors or issues in Forscan or Torque ODB(Android App), the car drives true, no drifting left or right, perfectly straight.

Other than my stinky aircon, the car is great, still amazed at the MPGs I get from this car.

I will endeavour to do the magnet test this week and feedback.

• Like 1

Checked the bolts today and they're metal and the motor housing looks sound and tight on the rack, so it's not that.

Stinky aircon might mean pollen filter needs changing, but at least you know that the bolts are 'metal',- I take it you meant steel - so at least that's not a worry. Of course,  disconnecting the battery for a bit seeming to improve things might just have been the placebo effect, and the problem really is down to that clockspring as mentioned previously. 

5 hours ago, Loz1970 said:

Checked the bolts today and they're metal and the motor housing looks sound and tight on the rack, so it's not that.

Sorry, where's my head! Yes steel not aluminium, attracted my magnet. Regarding the aircon, new cabin filter, aircon serviced, only need a little extra gas, anti-bacterial spray 4 times, smell still comes back, trying to find drain location as it doesn’t appear to be via the transmission tunnel like previous models of the Mondeo. Anyway that’s for another post. Will investigate the clock spring further, I’ll see if I can get the dead centre readings from Forscan and post here, so maybe someone can offer me a comparison.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club