Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What is the best cloth to dry car.

jace1969

The problem i have is after i dry mine i always get a lot of static bits like lots of dust on the paint and evern the windows.

i use the Yellow Kent cloth which i thought was a good cloth and tried the Asda own make but its got the thick black beading round it and is rough but still get the same.

I use three large micro fibre cloths after spraying on a bit of Autoglym aqua wax , it makes the water jump onto the cloth as well as getting rid of static. I go over the car three times using a fresh towel each time, it sounds like a lot of hassle but it's not as it only takes a few minutes and only the first towel gets wet.

A big, fluffy microfibre towel is all I use and never had a problem with static.

I tend to pat the car dry instead of dragging the towel across the paintwork. Just means if you do pick up a bit of grit, you're not going to cause any scratches.

Another 👍for a large microfiber cloth here too.

How are you washing the drying towel?  If you're washing it with other clothes/towels it will get full of lint which then gets left on the car.  Also if you use fabric softener or a high heat tumble drier it ruins the cloths effectiveness.  

I use the fluffy green Autofinesse Aqua Deluxe drying towel myself.  Previously had a TurtleWax waffle drying towel but it was never particularly effective...though I used it for nearly 10 years to get my moneys worth. :laugh: 

Also just treated myself to anew set of small Kent microfibres which I use in th house as well as on the car, the old ones are now so water repellent they float in a bucket. :laugh:  Again, 10 years old though... 

I let the Mrs take it down to the local river and wash it by hand with a few small boulders 🤣

Then when she brings it back I rinse it out in Luke warm water then a quick rinse in cold water and allowed to dry ready for the next use.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Wino said:

I let the Mrs take it down to the local river and wash it by hand with a few small boulders 🤣

Saves on the gym membership! :biggrin:  

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Saves on the gym membership! :biggrin:  

No Tom, it saves me from going to work with two black eyes and a few bruised ribs after I rinse it out after as her arms are knackered after lifting the boulders up and carrying the cloth back home from the river 😉

• Haha 1

That could be the problem,it goes in the washer with powder and other cloths.

Are these big yellow Kent cloths any good or should i consider another make.

Washing powder is fine as long as long as it all gets rinsed out.  It's fabric softener that damages them.  Give them a shake when they come out to remove any loose fluff before wiping then on the car.

Also don't wash them with the bath mat...never seen so much dust come out of one item.  Hopefully it's towel loss rather than skin... :unsure:

The Kent cloths are decent, I'm just a bit of an Autofinesse fan lol.  

I've also got a couple of yellow 'e-cloth dusters' for the interior.  Nice and soft with a good dust-lifting static and don't need any product on them.

Can't beat a good old fashioned shammy leather

Used these from Meguiars for years, the old chamois leather is just so much hard work!

925099517_meguiarstowel.jpg.4ed3c2db220c669532c0ee26e6514946.jpg

I will never use a Leather as the whirls and marks it leaves are bad.

I always use kent cloths but i might try a Meguiars or another top brand,i have given them a good soak in cold water to gett all the soap off them and a good squeeze to get the water out and drying on the line.

2 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

...but i might try a Meguiars or another top brand,i have given them a good soak in cold water to gett all the soap off them and a good squeeze to get the water out and drying on the line.

In 20 odd years, I have never needed to ring out a Meguiars cloth, just every so often, bung it in the washing machine and it comes out like new.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently use kkd silverbacks. Couldn't buy it straight away as it was out of stock everywhere

I had some of there Edgeless microfibre Towel Pack of 4 and not tried them yet but seems a nice very soft towel,next wash i will try them out as had great reviews.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club