Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0 EcoBoost Ford Focus sounds like Its struggling to start

Coley95

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I hope I've posted this correctly, and in as much detail as I can. 

I recently purchased a Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec model privately. The gent said over the year he'd had its proved him well, but at the start of May this year it failed to start, I purchased the car the end of May. He took it to a garage and got the spark plugs and ignition coils replaced. These were all proved with receipts. 

Lately, after a cold start, and then after not diving it for maybe half a day it takes so long to turn over, and sounds like it isn't going to start at all. No issues in performance in my opinion. After it's been driven, and I turn it on, it starts normally. I took it to a mechanic I normally used for servicing my old car after I hadn't used it in 4 days and didn't start twice consecutively. After it starts it makes a chugging sound and rumbles at bit until I press the excellorater. I'm no genius, but it sounds like something to do with fuel. However, my guy said he didn't find anything untoward. He worried me a bit and said how many problem these cars can have and basically advised me to get rid. 

I'm a Mother of 2 young children, my knowledge of cars is second to none. My Dad, who works on big industrial engines thinks I'm being paranoid little girl, and that nothing is wrong. His point being, 'Well it starts doesn't it.' There are no engine codes flagging up on his device, nothing strange happening under the bonnet in his eyes. 

I have recorded a video on my phone which is the worst its been since the service that was done at the start of June. It was stood for a just over a day without being used. I will post it on YouTube and attach a link. Is this something I should be worried about? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. 🙂

https://youtu.be/dJ5yI0q9xTI

9 minutes ago, Coley95 said:

I'm a Mother of 2 young children, my knowledge of cars is second to none.

You do realise this means your knowledge of cars is the best lol.

It shouldn't take that long to start though, it sounded like the starter motor was going for a good few seconds.

5 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

You do realise this means your knowledge of cars is the best lol.

It shouldn't take that long to start though, it sounded like the starter motor was going for a good few seconds.

Whoops, my bad. My brain is fried in this weather, maybe my car agrees also 😂

I did have the same make, model and year from March for 2 months before someone crashed into me deeming it a complete write off. It was perfect. I'm just worried that in a state of panic to get a car quickly, I've picked a car that's going to cost me a fortune in the long run.

Thank you for taking to time to respond! 

Make sure it has a full service first, it's already had plugs and coils, ensure that the fuel filter and air filter are changed, new oil and filter, then remove the battery earth strap from the body, remove the paint from the area where the earth eyelet sits, use some electrical grease and refit.

Then see how you get on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

then remove the battery earth strap from the body, remove the paint from the area where the earth eyelet sits, use some electrical grease and refit.

I think this is the most probable cause, or the battery terminals are not tight. You probably don't have any 'electrical grease' but as a mother of two young children I bet you have Vaseline which will just work fine (its almost identical).

• Like 1

logically, I would check what voltage the battery drops in the next few days and check how low it drops when cranking. These do carbon up quite a bit so gdi injection cleaner in the tank and a spirited drive on the motorway will clear any blockages on the injectors. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club