Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car servicing question

Kieran Sliwowski

Hi all,

I have a mk7.5 red edition which I purchased earlier in the year and it came with an extended warranty that got transferred over to me. 

My query is, if any of you know, am I allowed to perform the servicing myself aslong as the correct spec parts are used without voiding my warranty? I was thinking castrol 5w-20 at the required grade and then either Bosch or Mann filter filters for example.

I would create a binder with all of the invoices and photos of the servicing parts that I have used to perform the service as a point of reference if there was any discrepancies that needed to be looked into.

I am also a Motorsport Engineering student if you reckon that would assist in anything.

From what I have researched it is hard to tell as some places say its fine as long as correct parts are used where as some do not explicitly say you can.

Many thanks

Kieran

I think it has to be registered on the Ford computer. Not 100% sure though. 

Is it a Ford warranty or an aftermarket one?

Tbh, it'll be safest to have it done at an indy garage to get a proper invoice if it's a Ford one.  Not worth saving £30 on labour if you then lose thousands on an engine warranty imo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kieran Sliwowski said:

it came with an extended warranty that got transferred over to me. 

Presumably you have confirmation that the warranty has transferred to you? 

Assuming that's ok, you need to check carefully the warranty conditions.

It's usual for them to specify that any work must be carried out by the dealer from whom you purchased the vehicle, or "any reputable VAT registered dealer", or words to that effect, at the intervals specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

24 minutes ago, Scottyghia said:

I think it has to be registered on the Ford computer. Not 100% sure though. 

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is it a Ford warranty or an aftermarket one?

Tbh, it'll be safest to have it done at a garage to get a proper invoice if it's a Ford one.  Not worth saving £30 on labour if you then lose thousands on an engine warranty imo.

From what I can understand from the paperwork it's an RAC extended warranty, not sure how they are with that type of thing.

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Presumably you have confirmation that the warranty has transferred to you? 

Assuming that's ok, you need to check carefully the warranty conditions.

It's usual for them to specify that any work must be carried out by the dealer from whom you purchased the dealer, or "any reputable VAT registered dealer", or words to that effect, at the intervals specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

Yeah I have a document saying it's been transferred over to my name, I will have a look through all the fine print, I believe I looked before and couldn't see anything but I will check incase I missed it 

Just had a read into the jargon and believe it has to be at the dealer or authorized repairer. The more worrying information I have found is that I think it may be over the service interval anyways which would void the warranty. It says in the service book that the interval is every 12 months but i have seen online it says 24 months and 18k miles.

Does anyone know the correct interval for a 2016 red edition?

4 minutes ago, Kieran Sliwowski said:

Does anyone know the correct interval for a 2016 red edition?

Annual for a Mk 7.5. The 18 months/18k applies to the Mk 8.

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Annual for a Mk 7.5. The 18 months/18k applies to the Mk 8.

I believe it's over 12 months even though it's not travelled many miles at all so I assume it's void anyways haha.

Might aswell do it myself asap then

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Kieran Sliwowski said:

I believe it's over 12 months even though it's not travelled many miles at all so I assume it's void anyways haha.

Might aswell do it myself asap then

Thanks for the help

Yeah, it's maximum 12 months interval on a Mk 7.5. As you may have seen, there are several very long threads on here about problems with 1.0 ecoboosts where changes have been neglected or wrong oil used, so you're right to do it asap. 

Sounds as if you know what you're doing, so at least you'll save the labour costs!😀

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah, it's maximum 12 months interval on a Mk 7.5. As you may have seen, there are several very long threads on here about problems with 1.0 ecoboosts where changes have been neglected or wrong oil used, so you're right to do it asap. 

Sounds as if you know what you're doing, so at least you'll save the labour costs!😀

Yeah I have seen a lot of horror stories about the engine if not properly maintained. I am not one to leave the servicing to clarify, I got the car earlier in the year and wasn't aware it needed one this soon until I just checked. Thankfully it has only done about 4k miles since the last change so it should be fine. Will be sure to get some new oil in there soon!

I appreciate the help!