Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus keeps cutting out

Greenfaldo

Morning all, my boys focus 1.6 on 61 plate keeps cutting out and wondered if anyone had any ideas. So when the car is idling it literally just cuts out, starts straight away. No lights up

cheers

My 61 plate 1.6 TI-VCT did this a lot. Some research here suggested a PCM update, completely fixed the issue and the car is so much more powerful now too.

A software update for your cars PCM. Needs to be done at a Ford dealer, cost me about £80. Unless anyone else has any other ideas, that would be my suggestion having had that exact problem myself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bongo2296 said:

A software update for your cars PCM. Needs to be done at a Ford dealer, cost me about £80. Unless anyone else has any other ideas, that would be my suggestion having had that exact problem myself.

Sorry for my ignorance just wondering if it’s the same as an ECU?

Powertrain Control Module, and yes it's the same as an ECU.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bongo2296 said:

I suppose that Mr Ford wouldn’t possibly have it in and do as they were asked and upgrade the PCM but would want to plug it in and see for themselves what was going on with it. 

I had mine in at TCH Derby, they did want me to pay for a diagnosis as you say, but after some persuasion and a disclaimer that if it didn't fix the problem they weren't liable they did it for me. Probably the same at most dealers.

Is it the 125 or 100? The 100 is duratec/sigma plain and the 125 is ti-vct. If it's tci-vct follow the above info. If it's the 100ps check the pipes for any splits a common pipe to split is the crankcase breather hose which connects the the pcv valve it's starts from the alternator end and goes in behind the intake plugging into the pcv.

23 hours ago, Bongo2296 said:

It’s being plugged in on Tuesday to see if any codes come up, also looking at the MAF sensor, last night had a quick look in the dark and although not 100% that t it looked in great condition but without knowing to much about them it’s difficult to know if it’s ok or not. 1 thing I did notice is it’s a 6 pin sensor but one of the wires out of the connector is either capped or has been cut? It was the white wire, can anyone confirm if this correct? I couldn’t see the cable from the engine that would have gone to it if it had been cut. 

Been having a look at the MAF, not done anything to it if yet but when we looked at it has anyone else got the white cable out the top not attached?? Don’t think it’s been cut almost as if it’s capped. We have a 1.6 petrol on a 61 plate. 

Well I’ve cleaned the MAF sensor but it’s done exactly the same. Ford weren’t interested in just doing the pcm upgrade without it being plugged in first. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club