Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3 fuel door doesn't lock?

Corey65

Hi, 

pretty much i came out to my Focus this morning and seen the fuel door was open yet i remember shutting it last time i filled up and i always make sure before getting back in and driving out station that the door is closed, pushed it shut and then tried it to make sure it locked and even when the car is fully locked the fuel door opens?? apparently with the easyfuel system the fuel access door doesn't lock anymore? isn't that just silly? couldn't someone just get a special funnel or something and push it down or tip water etc into your fuel? not to mention anyone can open your fuel door and rip it off or kick it off and then you have to mess around getting a new fuel door fitted.....granted a fuel door is quite easy to get open by criminals or someone with the right tool but when it doesn't lock at all even silly kids can get into it....i checked my fuel and it hasn't seemed to of gone down but i'm worried someone has put something down my tank etc, this possible?

Some lock and some don't. The main reason for locking fuel doors is to prevent siphoning the fuel, but with the easy fuel system that's a lot harder anyway. 

You're right that someone with the correct funnel might introduce something into the fuel tank, but that also applies to lockable fuel doors - they're not exactly Fort Knox and are trivial to open. 

If you're really concerned you might be able to get a locking fuel filler cap, but I wouldn't stress over it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erictcleric said:

If you're really concerned you might be able to get a locking fuel filler cap, but I wouldn't stress over it. 

Potentially, a battery car can also be 'siphoned off' and Tesla already have designed a system that could suck 10% of the charge back into the grid once a certain limit has been reached so the grid can get 'free' power LOL

1 hour ago, erictcleric said:

Some lock and some don't. The main reason for locking fuel doors is to prevent siphoning the fuel, but with the easy fuel system that's a lot harder anyway. 

You're right that someone with the correct funnel might introduce something into the fuel tank, but that also applies to lockable fuel doors - they're not exactly Fort Knox and are trivial to open. 

I know a lock on the fuel door isn't exactly hard to break open its more for peace of mind....atleast if its locked it takes some force or effort to get it open and you'd know someone has been in it rather than just have no lock to the point of even kids being able to open it for ***** and giggles and rip it off etc which i have heard about happening not to mention you can just get a funnel and tip whatever you want into someone's car, just couldn't believe they'd remove something that is so basic and common sense but oh well, my opinion is why make it easy for people? that little lock on your fuel door can save you like £30-£50 on replacing the door when kids pull it off.

Think i'll just leave it but i couldn't believe they stopped a fuel door locking lmao.

• Like 1

I have to agree. I have had my Focus for two years now and only just realised it doesn't lock. I thought like you that when the car was locked, the fuel door was locked. It seems an odd omission by Ford. 

31 minutes ago, Steelguy said:

It seems an odd omission by Ford. 

No one steals fuel anymore. No one steals stock alloy wheels (the locking nuts just cause issues for genuine owners). No one steals radios anymore (missing radio codes just cause problems for genuine owners)

Ford however (like other manufacturers) do seem to have concentrated on making it much easier for the criminal fraternity to steal the whole vehicle with it's high tech (!) 'keyless' entry 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club