Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Returning old driving licence to DVLA

Marineboy

Just wondering if anyone has renewed their licence recently?  I got the letter for 10 yearly renewal and did it online.  Lots of pages and verification of identity fields to enter, but got a confirmation of completion at the end, so yay!  Thing is that you have to declare that you’ll cut your existing licence in half and send back to the DVLA.  Now, I know there have been a lot of people who have been a victim of the DVLA cocking it up royally and telling them that they didn’t ever have a license and variations thereof.  So, they’ve said my replacement licence should arrive in 10 working days, but I’m tempted to not return the existing one until I receive the replacement, as it’s proof of the full licence types I hold etc (in case they got my admin wrong).  Does anyone know if they need to receive the old one before they issue the new one?

HGV driver here with a medical condition that requires me to have a medical every year.

Every year they tell me to return my old license but every year I keep it! Not been reprimanded for it yet.  

As you say, keep it to prove your entitlements if the replacement is wrong.

I am aware of at least one person who had to sit her driving test again as the DVLA screwed up her renewal! 

• Thanks 1

Did mine at a post office about 3 years ago...was shocked when the lady took my licence and cut it in half! 😮

Not sure if it's different for address changes but I did that online and kept the old one with no problems.

• Thanks 1

The DVLA has no record of returned licence's. They don't look at them, check them or do anything other than destroy them. If you should feel the need to spend a £1 on a stamp to send your licence to a Welsh landfill site then take a photo of both sides before sending it.

• Thanks 1

Turvey, thanks for the insight.  I know it can be a one way trip if they lose your records, so I think I’ll take your lead.

Toms – Re the address, I’m not changing any status details, so it’s a straight renewal.  In a way, doing it online at least allows the licence holder to f*** it up themselves.  I took ages double checking what I had submitted and thought it might time-out on me, but it didn’t.  I’d much rather cut the licence in half myself than watch someone else do it, even though it’s the same end result.

unofix - In a nutshell, sounds about right : - )

Thanks all for the input

• Like 1

Mine was done a nice few years ago like 6 or so the picture/card one.

My mate still has the Green paper one like years old.

Its about time they dont do Digital ones as its a way forward for everything these days,i never carry mine with me but be good to be on my phone.

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

Its about time they dont do Digital ones as its a way forward

Yes everyone should be Microchipped, and new born babies should not be allowed out of hospital to go home until they have been 'chipped'. Then never again would we need to be bothered with driving licences, passports, national insurance numbers, national health numbers. The goverment would be able to track everyone 24/7 without the need to introduce national identity cards and dare I say it 'Covid Passports'. Welcome to 1984 -- late but we got there in the end !!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, unofix said:

Yes everyone should be Microchipped, and new born babies should not be allowed out of hospital to go home until they have been 'chipped'. Then never again would we need to be bothered with driving licences, passports, national insurance numbers, national health numbers. The goverment would be able to track everyone 24/7 without the need to introduce national identity cards and dare I say it 'Covid Passports'. Welcome to 1984 -- late but we got there in the end !!

You been watching Humans........We will be like a Synth they could program us,the Human tracking device......Saying that good idea.

I know what you mean like a code number with your details on a Database matching that number on a chip like dogs have now.

If they can sort out the tax disc you never know,ill have to look at my Licence but think its 2027 exspire date.

• Like 1

DVLA are not currently performing very well.

I am aware that a friend of mine who was 70 months ago, and thus needed to replace his green paper with a photo licence, received a letter saying there is a delay, and we will contact you in due course" so still has a green piece of paper (as do I, but I'm only a young pensioner !).

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - Got the new version with the union flag on it back 5 days after the online application.  Pretty good turnaround and I've even got all my entitlements on it including what seems to be clutter of bike licence codes (or whatever the collective is) but thankfully it includes the full one...phew!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club