Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Electric Car Jack

TomsFocus

I've just found out these exist!  Has anyone got one?  

https://vevor.co.uk/products/5ton-electric-jack-lift-car-impact-wrench-air-compressor-set-3-in-1?

Seem to be plenty of options, various kits etc.  Would ned to be as light as possible for me, but also strong enough to do the job safely.  Slightly confused by the one above containing a belt cutter/screen hammer...that'll be really useful stored in a case in the boot! :laugh: 

Oh !  I like the look of that 👍 are you going to get one ?

I need to buy a little air compressor just to blow my tyres up now and then but I could be tempted to buy this instead.

1 minute ago, unofix said:

Oh !  I like the look of that 👍 are you going to get one ?

I need to buy a little air compressor just to blow my tyres up now and then but I could be tempted to buy this instead.

Definitely tempted by one yeah.  Though something smaller and lighter than that particular one.

I bought a battery tyre compressor a few months ago.  Works well but not cheap.  It was on a lightening deal at around £25 when I bought it.  Spent the last decade using Sainsburys free PFS forecourt compressor but they started charging this year!

ACPURI Car Tyre Pump - Portable Tyre Inflator Air Compressor USB Rechargeable with Digital LCD Display, 6000mAh Battery, LED Light for Car Tires, Bicycle, Motorcycle, Balls, Swim Rings : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Definitely tempted by one yeah.  Though something smaller and lighter than that particular one.

I bought a battery tyre compressor a few months ago.  Works well but not cheap.  It was on a lightening deal at around £25 when I bought it.  Spent the last decade using Sainsburys free PFS forecourt compressor but they started charging this year!

ACPURI Car Tyre Pump - Portable Tyre Inflator Air Compressor USB Rechargeable with Digital LCD Display, 6000mAh Battery, LED Light for Car Tires, Bicycle, Motorcycle, Balls, Swim Rings : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive 

Free air at Sainsbury’s down here.👍

21 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Free air at Sainsbury’s down here.👍

Make the most of it then.  I reckon they're all being changed to paying machines.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Make the most of it then.  I reckon they're all being changed to paying machines.

Interesting, normally I put 32 psi all round in.I’ll have to start putting 64 psi in so that it lasts longer.What do you reckon?😀

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Spent the last decade using Sainsburys free PFS forecourt compressor but they started charging this year!

Yes my local Tesco have now had the Air Line fitted with a 'Pay by Card' at 50 pence for a couple of minutes. Now the problem is once you have used your card the time starts ticking away, but they have thought of that and if you need more time you just press a button and it automatically charges another 50 pence and gives you a couple more minuets. The big problem I see is that unless you wait for it to time out and switch off, then the next person to use the machine can simply press to extend the time if its still running and it will happily just charge another 50 pence to your card. In fact you could end up paying for everyones air so long as the machine is kept running. Maybe fitting a Stop button would be a good idea ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

Yes my local Tesco have now had the Air Line fitted with a 'Pay by Card' at 50 pence for a couple of minutes. Now the problem is once you have used your card the time starts ticking away, but they have thought of that and if you need more time you just press a button and it automatically charges another 50 pence and gives you a couple more minuets. The big problem I see is that unless you wait for it to time out and switch off, then the next person to use the machine can simply press to extend the time if its still running and it will happily just charge another 50 pence to your card. In fact you could end up paying for everyones air so long as the machine is kept running. Maybe fitting a Stop button would be a good idea ?

I didn't have my wallet at the time so didn't take any notice of how it worked.  That does seem like a pretty big flaw in the system though!

• 8 months later...

**Update**

Just wondering if anyone got one of those electric jacks?  And if they're reliable?

Also - does anyone have any clever ideas about lifting a wheel to remove/refit with a lot less physical exertion than the the normal way?

I've got a battery impact gun for bolts, and can always add extra leverage to spanners etc, but the effort needed to jack up and remove the wheel is an immediate barrier for me at the moment.  Spent the last few months trying to find a mobile mechanic to do the job instead, but there aren't any around here! :unsure:  Local garage have quoted £100 to do the job, which I would have paid, but as the car is undriveable, would have to spend another £50-100 on a car transporter first, with the extra hassle that entails as well.  If I can work out a way to do it myself, that would be preferable.

Car wheel dollies might do the job but seems a bit of a waste buying 2 if you only need 1 for 1 job https://www.sgs-engineering.com/wd2000-450kg-wheel-dollies

Electric jacks? I've not seen one in action but read this review and see if it helps https://bestreviews.com/automotive/jacks/best-electric-car-jacks

28 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Car wheel dollies might do the job but seems a bit of a waste buying 2 if you only need 1 for 1 job https://www.sgs-engineering.com/wd2000-450kg-wheel-dollies

Electric jacks? I've not seen one in action but read this review and see if it helps https://bestreviews.com/automotive/jacks/best-electric-car-jacks

Thanks Kevin.  Wheel dollies don't help with lifting/lowering/aligning the wheel unfortunately.  I can roll a wheel once it's on the ground.  It's moving it the 2" between the hub and the ground that's the problem.  Frustrating when something seemingly so small makes the rest of the job impossible.

Dolly with rollers? But then they're more expensive making it more uneconomical! 

Tough one 🤔 hopefully someone will come up with an answer 🤞

Times like this that one appreciates their own mobility etc that they take for granted and maybe also appreciate the struggle that others go through doing what may seem a simple task. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks Kevin.  Wheel dollies don't help with lifting/lowering/aligning the wheel unfortunately.  I can roll a wheel once it's on the ground.  It's moving it the 2" between the hub and the ground that's the problem.  Frustrating when something seemingly so small makes the rest of the job impossible.

I may have missed it, but couldn't find anyone suggesting an 'air jack'? 1st saw one used in USA in te 70s an they've always impressed me, though I expect you'd need to use it very frequently to make it economically viable. One of the companies I found doesn't even list the price, I hate that! But assume it's out of reach for most amateurs!

https://www.selson.com/shop/#page-content

Oh, I love the link you provided in your initial post, the company showing an attractive young girl in high heels using it to prove that stupid old men like me might be in with a chance of using it too LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Must admit, I hadn't seen an air jack before!  Does look very cool and should be quick, but too expensive for home use as you say.

Also can't see a failsafe on them?  If a motor fails, a scissor jack would remain raised.  If an airbag pops...does the car just come crashing down?  I've seen plenty of cars blow bags on air ride...would hope these are heavier duty, but still not sure I'd trust it!

• Like 1

Just ordered one of these for £66.50.  

Dekaim Electric Car Jack, 3T 12V Lifting Floor Scissor Jack with Electric Impact Wrench

The same basic 12v jack unit seems to be used across the cheaper kits.  Wasn't sure whether to go for this with the impact wrench as well.  Only a pound difference, but obviously more weight and a larger case to store.  Decided I would, just in case I do get to a position where I can drive regularly again and lift a wheel up to the boot.  The impact gun might be useful if I got a flat while away from home in that instance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just ordered one of these for £66.50.  

Well, from the description, looks pretty easy to use LOL "man or lady could deal with the issue of the vehicles..."

Look forward to your review when you use it.

• Like 1

Well, getting the twin kit might have been a mistake... :unsure:

It's much heavier than I thought!  Shipping label states 9kg, which is just a bit less than a standard alloy & tyre for reference. 

Oddly, I didn't consider that effectively fitting a starter motor to a scissor jack would add so much weight lol! :laugh:  Will get it opened over the weekend and see if the items are more manageable individually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, two weeks on and this is still sealed in its delivery packaging... :unsure:

The heat is now exacerbating my vertigo.  If anyone local can swap the swap the caliper on the Golf for me, or knows anyone that can, please let me know via PM.  Will pay of course.  Just want the car driveable so I can try to practice in the car park before deciding whether it's worth MOT'ing or not.  Obviously no point if I won't be using it on the road for a while.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

**UPDATE April 2023**

Well, it's been a long time coming but I finally used the electric jack today.  Works very well.  The jack itself is a little heavier than the standard scissor jack, but not all the much more when it's out of the box.

Just plugged into the 12v lighter socket to use, although it also comes with croc clips to use directly from battery if required.  Plenty of cable to reach the rears and it seems surprisingly well built.

I'm a bit concerned about how much battery charge it uses, but as the car is at home and I have the GB40 jump starter, I'm not really bothered by that.  Would probably suggest leaving the engine running if using as a roadside emergency.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just plugged into the 12v lighter socket to use, although it also comes with croc clips to use directly from battery if required.  Plenty of cable to reach the rears and it seems surprisingly well built.

Good to know it works. Although I'm afraid that @StephenFord will be extremely disappointed with you for not posting photos of it in use 🤣

• Haha 3

checked the date on this before reading 🤣

• Haha 2

If it uses its rated 15A for even 4 minutes that's approx  1 Ah (hold on - it's EXACTLY 1 Ah :laughing:) so I don't think you have to worry about batt capacity.

I'd be more concerned about pulling 15 A through the cig lighter socket which I always thought were 10A capacity. It'll probably be OK though and you'll soon know if it blows the fuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pics aren't really suitable for this forum. :whistling:

IMG_20230402_150837616_HDR.thumb.jpg.97a4de1a3a01d231a0c3b352cf32e089.jpg

IMG_20230402_150832229_HDR.thumb.jpg.7f9ddd4815b4c4a020ddf25fd438df8b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club