Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fusion 2 Noise

westdj

Hi, 

We have a Ford Fusion 2, 2003, and recently started to get a rubbing type noise coming from the rear (we think), its louder when steering left, although there when going right, but not as loud.  I've replaced rear wheel bearings, checked shocks, and springs, all seam ok.  Bushes on subframe appear ok.   I've changed from shocks springs and mounts, in case the noise was travelling!   Anyone else had a similar issue!??? 

I’ll tell what I’ve had with my Fiesta of the same year.  Not sure if what you’ve done refers to your front shock/springs in your post.  For a while I noticed that the front end was sportily low (equally both sides) and was thinking yeah, well springs might compress with time a bit, etc, etc but I didn’t do much about it.  I also noticed increased road noise over a period, but thought it might be wheel bearings as I know the rear ones have more play than they should (another story).  I then noticed that when manoeuvring in the Sainso’s car park at near full right lock, I could hear a noise.
I should of course looked into it at that point really and have subsequently beaten myself up about it for being a fool.  Went out one day, got about 100 metres and heard bad tyre rubbing noises at the front when the steering was anything but almost straight.  Got the car home… Just.  What it was, was that both front springs had broken, causing the shock/s to be down on the rubbers (excessive road noise) and eventually, when more of the spring/springs broke, or settled differently in the shock’s cup, the tyres rubbed on the wheel arch liner.  I know that the Fiesta and Fusion share the same shocks/springs, so I just thought I’d mention not to exclude the front suspension as a possible issue on your one.  I bought all new Sachs parts to do both sides on mine but need the time to fix, which should be soon.  Happy to share what I've bought if you have to buy front shocks yourself etc

10 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

I’ll tell what I’ve had with my Fiesta of the same year.  Not sure if what you’ve done refers to your front shock/springs in your post.  For a while I noticed that the front end was sportily low (equally both sides) and was thinking yeah, well springs might compress with time a bit, etc, etc but I didn’t do much about it.  I also noticed increased road noise over a period, but thought it might be wheel bearings as I know the rear ones have more play than they should (another story).  I then noticed that when manoeuvring in the Sainso’s car park at near full right lock, I could hear a noise.
I should of course looked into it at that point really and have subsequently beaten myself up about it for being a fool.  Went out one day, got about 100 metres and heard bad tyre rubbing noises at the front when the steering was anything but almost straight.  Got the car home… Just.  What it was, was that both front springs had broken, causing the shock/s to be down on the rubbers (excessive road noise) and eventually, when more of the spring/springs broke, or settled differently in the shock’s cup, the tyres rubbed on the wheel arch liner.  I know that the Fiesta and Fusion share the same shocks/springs, so I just thought I’d mention not to exclude the front suspension as a possible issue on your one.  I bought all new Sachs parts to do both sides on mine but need the time to fix, which should be soon.  Happy to share what I've bought if you have to buy front shocks yourself etc

Hi,   Yeah I've changed both front shocks, springs and mounts, I've gone for the monroe ones!   Was a typo on original post, couldn't edit it!  Checked tyres, no signs of rubbing.  Did the car park full lock in case of driveshafts!  Track rod ends look and feel ok.  Have changed the back brake cylinders, re-bled system.    Its just a weird chuffing/rubbing noise when turning/driving left.  Not much left to replace but at the same time how far do I go given cars only worth about £500! 

Heck, OK.  Having done all that I'm at a loss.  As you've checked your tyres for rubbing and found nothing, could it be another revolving element in the wheel area that's fouling when G-force pushes right, when you turn to the left I wonder.  I know you replaced the wheel bearings, but the rear ones I bought just would not torque up to give the tolerance they should have done.  My local garage said they only fit *****.  The ones I got were not a brand name, although they are just a bit sloppy, not noisy.

I was trying to say the bearing manufacturer Foxtrot Alpha Golf but got censored 🤣

• Like 1