Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When i brake i get s strange rough sound from front brakes.

jace1969

As what the Topic said, when i brake i get s strange rough sound, i would not say metal to metal on the pads and it's off and on.

Say you brake and keep your foot on the brake slight it's like off and on, It's hard to say but it's like you taking the brake off and on and off and on.

Say a light switch you turn it off and on and keep doing that but on the brakes,in for a service in October but what is this,had new Discs and pads about 3 years ago and done about 8k on them, surely they ain't gone again and aint got a clue what discs and pads they put on.

I don't know that when you wash your car then leave it the Discs go that bit rusty and it's done them in again.

Brake discs go rusty, its something to do with them being metal. You could always upgrade to ceramic but then your brakes would be worth more than the car.

It does sound like the discs are warpped, when they were new did you 'run them in' and were they good quality discs and pads or the cheapest you could find ?

8000 miles doen't sound much but that would suggest to me you do a lot of short journeys around town using the brakes alot. My daughters 10 year old Kuga with only 40,000 miles on the clock is on to it's third set of discs but on the other hand my last company car with over 75000 miles mostly done on motorways was still using the original factory fitted discs when I got rid of it.

Yes your right i do very short journeys that is why the miles are so low and the car has only done 34k.

As for running them in yes i did but what was put on i aint got a clue,it was done at one of those Chemix Autocentre so knowing them cheap.

I'd never use cheap disks or pads.   When you think about it, your life might depend on your brakes.

Your discs are probably rotten, grooved and pitted, pads will have grooves in them too, most likely.  They don't last forever, after all.  Also you could have brake pad compound deposits on you discs, get up to a decent speed and stand on the brakes a couple of times to clean them off.

If you do need new discs and pads, which is quite likely, my personal preference is Pagid.  I've used them on every car I've had since 2005.  Good stopping power and good initial bite when cold too.

• Like 1

Would you think there rotten on only about 8k in around or a bit longer, 3 years,i might do a bit more driving now but not over 3k a year.

So say you give your car a good wash with jet wash do you give it a good run as i only go up the road and back not even a mile to dry them off.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

So say you give your car a good wash with jet wash do you give it a good run as i only go up the road and back not even a mile to dry them off.

I always carry a couple of clean cloths with me and then if it rains while I'm driving I stop every few miles and dry the discs off. Of course when I get home and put the car in the garage I use a hairdryer to warm the discs up and make sure they are nice and dry. A light spray of oil stops the discs going rusty. 🤔

• Haha 1

If it's just a noise I wouldn't worry about it.  Mine have been grinding and squealing for the last 3 years, especially the last 18 months with very little use.  They still do the job and pass MOT each year...

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

If it's just a noise I wouldn't worry about it.  Mine have been grinding and squealing for the last 3 years, especially the last 18 months with very little use.  They still do the job and pass MOT each year...

I like your way of thinking,as long as i stop and passes MOT job done.

As for the oil i think i have the spray on oil in a small can,my discs should be fine and might stop in a mile depending on speed🤣🤣 i hope :oops:

On 8/23/2021 at 2:50 PM, jace1969 said:

Would you think there rotten on only about 8k in around or a bit longer, 3 years,i might do a bit more driving now but not over 3k a year.

I'm guessing that your discs are rotten, because your car doesn't really go anywhere.  8K miles in 3 years is nothing, these days.

A lot will depend on where your car is when it's not being used.  If it's garaged, then it's expected that they would be in better condition than a car parked on the road.  How you drive also effects how long your brakes will last, if you're heavy on them all the time - well they won't last that long.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club