Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Entry Car Theft

FrankR

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

A once/month activity for me to make sure the 'mechanics 'still work after experiencing the frustration at it seizing because I only ever used the fob!

A good idea. I'm used to having very old cars so I also fully open all the windows and fully adjust the mirrors every now and again for the same reason.

• Like 1

I would suggest carrying out a master reset of the Ford Pass system just make sure nobody else can access your car this way just incase this is how they managed to get in.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/how-to-videos/owner-services/fordpass-master-reset

• Like 1

Your idea makes sense. I’m reading online and watching YouTube videos and I’ve seen that: they see you in the traffic, they follow you closely for a bit and get the key signal in that way. Then, they follow you at a distance until you get home to see where you live. And then they come after a few days to “collect” the car 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, FrankR said:

Your idea makes sense. I’m reading online and watching YouTube videos and I’ve seen that: they see you in the traffic, they follow you closely for a bit and get the key signal in that way. Then, they follow you at a distance until you get home to see where you live. And then they come after a few days to “collect” the car 

Is this how it actually works? Through no prior knowledge or anything on the matter, I would have thought the signal would be no good to anyone until the car is ready to be stolen, rather than saved for later. Can you save a key signal to use later? 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

A once/month activity for me to make sure the 'mechanics 'still work after experiencing the frustration at it seizing because I only ever used the fob!

Yes , I always do that when I drive my Mrs's car which still has a blade as well as the buttons on the fob.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Just use the unlock button on the Key fob to switch the alarm off.

I meant if I’m using the key cause the battery in the key fob is flat…

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

I meant if I’m using the key cause the battery in the key fob is flat…

Starting the car will do the same. It will still start if the Key fob battery is flat.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gds1972 said:

I would suggest carrying out a master reset of the Ford Pass system just make sure nobody else can access your car this way just incase this is how they managed to get in.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/how-to-videos/owner-services/fordpass-master-reset

Thanks a lot. I bought the car used (5 months old) from a dealer far from home two months ago, but guess what? I haven't done this after the purchase. And I can't do it, the Master Reset button is greyed out.. so I have booked a service appointment to get this done at my local dealer. That could definitely be another possibility of how they accessed the car.. although I can't believe they had the car saved on the app, kept it waiting for a new owner and then drove all the way here to get the car. But yeah you never know

One more question on this: they used the OBD port I believe to create a new key access for them to use at later stage. I now would like to reprogram the keys I have so that if they access the car again they have to do the same job once again rather than having already access granted. Is reprogramming key something useful or shouldn’t bother

So tested the keyblade this morning and it's works (harder to turn than I expected) then the alarm went off (pretty quite as someone previously said)

I got the notification on the FordPass app , door opened at 4:15 EST.  Well that's ***** useless as it was 10:15 here in the UK, so how if possible do I make my FordPass app use local time.

• Like 2

I could never understand the deal about keyless entry so when I got my car last year I disabled it and happily use the fob as a conventional remote.  What I don't understand is am I still as vulnerable to having my parked car broken into, should I be investing in Faraday cages and the like as well as large (and ugly) steering locks? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Linds said:

...as large (and ugly) steering locks? 

Hey buddy, my limited edition chrome DiskLok is a thing of beauty 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Linds said:

I could never understand the deal about keyless entry so when I got my car last year I disabled it and happily use the fob as a conventional remote.  What I don't understand is am I still as vulnerable to having my parked car broken into, should I be investing in Faraday cages and the like as well as large (and ugly) steering locks? 

I've had keyless entry on my cars since 2003, and I wouldn't buy a car without it now.  Keyless (touch unlocking)  entry doesn't make the car more susceptible to theft, it's the remote fobs signal they are piggybacking on.

If you want to prevent any chance of them ever piggybacking  you have only one choice, remove the battery from all your fobs and only ever use the key-blade to lock/unlock the door.

10 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

I've had keyless entry on my cars since 2003, and I wouldn't buy a car without it now.  Keyless (touch unlocking)  entry doesn't make the car more susceptible to theft, it's the remote fobs signal they are piggybacking on.

Keyless fobs emit the 'unlock' signal all the time, they don't know when you're within range of the car.  Thieves can piggyback this at any time.

Conventional remote fobs only emit the signal when the button is pressed.  So the thieves have to be near the fob when it's being pressed to pick up the signal, cutting down the chances of theft considerably.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Conventional remote fobs only emit the signal when the button is pressed.  So the thieves have to be near the fob when it's being pressed to pick up the signal, cutting down the chances of theft considerably.

I'm sure that Fob unlocking, as opposed to Keyless unlocking, works on a rolling code now rather than the earlier versions that did not, so grabbing the signal from one unlock would not unlock it again. I'm happy to be proved wrong though if my understanding is not correct.

That was one of the reasons that I disabled Keyless entry on my car.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I'm sure that Fob unlocking, as opposed to Keyless unlocking, works on a rolling code now rather than the earlier versions that did not, so grabbing the signal from one unlock would not unlock it again. I'm happy to be proved wrong though if my understanding is not correct.

That was one of the reasons that I disabled Keyless entry on my car.

I was just making the point between keyless & non-keyless really, but yes it must be a rolling code nowadays.  Most, if not all, cars have had rolling codes since the early 2000s.  Mk2.5 Focus must have done as mine lost sync twice, presumably from too many accidental presses out of range.

However, a rolling code works on an algorithm, it can't be random, so I reckon it can be hacked if you have the right tech... :g:

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:19 AM, StephenFord said:

You'll be needing one of these - a DiskLok, get one here...

No fancy electronics, just a simple device to stop your car being nicked!

I have had one of these since the 80/90s, cost me 30 quid then 😁😁😁 bought it for my Sierra Coswoth 4x4, never stolen, still got it on my MGTF, best anti theft device ever, a bit cllumsy to fit but you know unless the car is put on a trailer it will still be there the next morning. 👍👍

On 8/21/2021 at 11:19 AM, StephenFord said:

1976158734_disklokchrome.thumb.jpg.f86734922b0413d1f9ad6b40dff90279.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, Linds said:

How/what did you do to disable this?

If you have somehow stopped your car from performing the unlock action when it detects the fob nearby then I guess you are not vulnerable to a relay attack.

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Most 2019 on MK4s have sleep keys (keys stop transmitting after 20 minutes of no movement)

The MK4 OBD port is security protected

If you're worried about keyless theft (if you don't have sleep keys), get forscan and deactivate passive entry and use the remote buttons to lock/unlock or ask dealer, they will deactivate for you 

On the same subject of Keyless

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AlanC2 said:

How/what did you do to disable this?

If you have somehow stopped your car from performing the unlock action when it detects the fob nearby then I guess you are not vulnerable to a relay attack.

Forscan or a dealer can deactivate.

Once deactivated relay theft is impossible as you can only gain entry through remote locking

6 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Forscan or a dealer can deactivate.

Once deactivated relay theft is impossible as you can only gain entry through remote locking

You can do it in the car settings on the Mk4 I believe.

You can do it in the car settings on the Mk4 I believe.

You certainly can, its Settings->Vehicle->Locks and then ( Intelligent Access or Keyless entry - i cant quite remember exactly )

Not an expert on what Forscan is able to do, is it possible on mk2.5 to disable keyless entry?

Think I looked at what elmconfig was able to do in the past but couldn’t find anything.

9 hours ago, troy45 said:

Not an expert on what Forscan is able to do, is it possible on mk2.5 to disable keyless entry?

Think I looked at what elmconfig was able to do in the past but couldn’t find anything.

It should be

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club