Do Not Sell My Personal Information

poor handbrake.

RGV

Hi all.

Just purchased an ecosport 2019 and found that the handbrake is poor on steep hills, has anyone else had this problem maybe. Have booked in with Ford main dealer to have a look under warranty. Many thanks.

Hi Rod, not got an Ecosport, but just a thought. When I first got my car the handbrake didn't seem particularly effective. I was doing what I'd always done - bring the car smoothly to a halt, apply the handbrake. However I checked the handbook and saw you need to press the brake pedal firmly before applying the handbrake. I see the Ecosport handbook has the same instruction:

To apply the parking brake:
  1. Press the foot brake pedal firmly
  2. Pull the parking brake lever up to its fullest extent.

I find you need to press the pedal really firmly after coming to a halt, which seems unnatural, then pull the handbrake lever as far as it will go, which seems to do the trick. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Hi Rod, not got an Ecosport, but just a thought. When I first got my car the handbrake didn't seem particularly effective. I was doing what I'd always done - bring the car smoothly to a halt, apply the handbrake. However I checked the handbook and saw you need to press the brake pedal firmly before applying the handbrake. I see the Ecosport handbook has the same instruction:

I find you need to press the pedal really firmly after coming to a halt, which seems unnatural, then pull the handbrake lever as far as it will go, which seems to do the trick. 

Thank you so much, will try it, vehicle has only done 2500 miles so thought that it was due to the linings not bedded in yet..

19 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

My car did not come with a paper copy of handbook, only online, do you know where on the online version where it mentions the operation of the handbrake? ty

I don't have a problem with My Ecosport handbrake , and we have some steep hills up here in Derbyshire, but I was taught to use the footbrake when applying the handbrake when I learnt to drive 56yrs ago and just do it without thinking.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RGV said:

where on the online version where it mentions the operation of the handbrake? t

Click.on brakes, then on parking brake. Link to handbook here:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Index?Variantid=7303&languageCode=EN&countryCode=USA&marketCode=US&bookcode=O130370&VIN=&userMarket=GBR&div=f

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, billyboy said:

I don't have a problem with My Ecosport handbrake , and we have some steep hills up here in Derbyshire, but I was taught to use the footbrake when applying the handbrake when I learnt to drive 56yrs ago and just do it without thinking.

Yes, me too (not quite as long ago but not far off!😀). As I say, not got (or driven) an Ecosport so no experience of that particular model. With my current Fiesta though, to get the handbrake full on after stopping, you have to apply further pressure on the pedal, way in excess of what it took to stop the car. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, billyboy said:

Thanks for that, so have you tried the handbrake without using the footbrake ever, if so, is there a difference in the holding power ?

On 8/23/2021 at 9:20 AM, RGV said:

Thanks for that, so have you tried the handbrake without using the footbrake ever, if so, is there a difference in the holding power ?

No I haven't it's something I've always done since I was taught to drive 56 years ago, I just do it without thinking.

In the early sixties when I learnt to drive handbrakes were very poor and nowhere near as good as they are today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billyboy said:

I've always done since I was taught to ride 56 years ago

Back then did you not just tie up at a hitching post like you see in the westerns ? 🤣

5 minutes ago, unofix said:

Back then did you not just tie up at a hitching post like you see in the westerns ? 🤣

We have been know to use a brick under the wheel for added security.

Always leave the car with the wheel turned towards the kerb and left in first or reverse gear depending whether up hill or down hill , I was a motor mechanic and I've been out to a few runaway vehicles over the years so I make sure it doesn't happen to me, apart from being dangerous it's illegal , I live in an area where there are some very steep hills so it's second nature to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 9:32 AM, RGV said:

Hi all.

Just purchased an ecosport 2019 and found that the handbrake is poor on steep hills, has anyone else had this problem maybe. Have booked in with Ford main dealer to have a look under warranty. Many thanks.

Car just been into the dealers, they adjusted the rear brakes and is now much better, handbrake on with the 1st notch done under the warranty.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club