Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Brake Vibration!

chris bowman

have rear brake vibration on my mkiii mondeo tdci 54 plate that i can feel thru my backside via the seat and the brake pedal. i used to feel it thru the wheel aswell but, new front pads and discs cured that. have checked and cleaned rear brakes. the brake dust is much harder to clean off the rear wheels than the front when i wash the car and the rear pad material certainlt appears hard and brittel but the rear disc do not appear to be waroed though they are worn. was going to check rearwheel balance and 4 wheel tracking first. then if problem persists, rear pads not sure of discs though. would these efforts cure the problem?

if you can check the run out of the rear discs with a dial gauge,this will tell you if the discs are warped or not.

if you can check the run out of the rear discs with a dial gauge,this will tell you if the discs are warped or not.

hi thanks for reply. strip rear brakes this morning. bearings and bushes fine! oh, it only happens when braking. had to apply different pressure to wheel to make full turn when jacked up. good sign there is run off on disc and its on both sides!!! so anyway cleaned silhouette pad marks of disc with brake cleaner and non stick sponge scourer and sanded pad surface which are only 1/3 worn. noticed top and bottom 1/8 inch of pads were worn slightly more than main surface and innner and outer edge of discs were ridged.

put it all back together and vibration still there on braking but nowhere near as bad. probably will get worse as pads bed back in! also noticed vibration from wheel now and saw that new pads and discs on front have had a chip on the nsf outer pad which has worn a very faint groove so had the fronts off aswell.noticed very faint raise in the front pad matching the faint score on the disc so i glass papered it off and intend to keep checking it in the hope it will sort itself out!!! otherwise it looks like pads and discs all round!!! how unlucky is that

i think the original vibration from the warped disc caused wear on the outside edge of the front n/s tyre. could this now be causing vibration on braking thru the steering wheel along with the slight groove in the new front disc on that wheel caused by a stone chip behind the pad?

i think the original vibration from the warped disc caused wear on the outside edge of the front n/s tyre. could this now be causing vibration on braking thru the steering wheel along with the slight groove in the new front disc on that wheel caused by a stone chip behind the pad?

am gonna put new rear pads and discs on. can anyone tell me if a mkiii 54 plate 2.0 tdci reg sept 2004 is likely to have auto adjust handbrake cable or manual adjust cable? it looks quite fiddly to get at the adjusters if i need to behind the heat shields!

they stopped the auto adjuster in 2002, so you should have a manual one

cheers buddy. a bit more work then

cheers buddy. a bit more work then

it looks like the rear pads were changed about 18 months ago by ford according to service manual and the handbrake cable did not require adjusting. it would follow asuming that the new pads were thicker than the old ones that the cable did need adjusting and this could have caused the warping of the rear discs! why did the dealers overlook this?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club