Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2016 Battery Issue

Soni

I have a Ford Focus ST 2016 hatch and I'm having issues with the battery.  I have had to replace the battery at least once a year but have heard that they should last 3-5years?  Coincidentally, it always seems to happen soon after a service on the car but that's just my observation.  There are no faults or issues noted by the service team. The dealership does not take any responsibility and have told me that if I charge my phone in the car, that is what is draining the battery.  The problem is, I have never charged my phone in the car.  The dealership has wiped it's hands of the battery issue.  The car is now out of warranty, although batteries aren't claimable under the car warranty anyway..  I have claimed 2 batteries under warranty from a battery dealership but at some point I feel like they will tell me it is a car fault rather than a battery fault.  The battery for this car retails at $330 so it's not a cheap solution to do this once a year.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thank you,

Soni

Can you give us some details of the battery 'fault'. Does it simply not hold a charge and presents you with a flat battery? Have you tested the voltage when it does go 'flat'?  Have you tested the battery with engine running to ensure that alternator is throwing voltage onto the battery to charge it? Is it usually winter, or summer it fails? Any details you can offer will help the forum to give a more useful response...

• Like 1

Sad that there are so many 'one' posters, seeking 'advice' on the vaguest of issues, and when you seek more info to try and help, they realise they are so out of their depth they just go away. I hope they enjoy their $330 annual spend 🤣

• Like 2

I wish there was a way to flag all the OPW's as I call them (One Post Wonders). I have even noticed that some do come back the next day after I've posted a reply (so they must have read it) but not so much as a 'thank you' or kiss my ar5e !! 😟

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry to have upset the MPW (Multi Post Wonders) .. I don't sit on this forum all day and it doesn't send me a notification when someone comments on my thread so it's a little difficult to show my appreciation in a timely manner.  I've only just logged back in, and thank you (or kiss my ar5e .. whichever suits you, unofix) for your time to comment.  I will come back here and give you the details of the battery in question, if there is anyone a little less cranky who might be able to help.  I just thought it might be a generic problem that others were experiencing with their Ford Focus.

By the way .. I'm in Australia, having difficulty finding an online Ford forum like this one here.  We're a little more laid-back here.  I won't trash anyone else on here if they don't respond to me immediately so feel free to take your time.

StephenFord - to answer some of your questions:

• The battery presents as completely dead, no ignition, no dash.  
  • It has happened at various times of the year, although where I live in Australia it is warm / hot almost all year round.
  • The battery dealership has tested the battery at failure and said it has 'dropped a cell'.
  • Yes thank you, I am 'out of my depth' you *****, which is why I'm asking for assistance on this forum.

Thanks anyway for helping a sheila out.  In person, I would have shouted you all a beer but you're all a bit too ***** stroppy.

Soni

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Soni said:

The battery dealership has tested the battery at failure and said it has 'dropped a cell'.

Yeah this means it's new battery time.

25 minutes ago, Soni said:

I'm in Australia

˙dn ʎɐʍ sᴉɥʇ ʇᴉ ǝʇoɹʍ ǝʌ,plnoɥs I ǝqʎɐW ˙sdooɥM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/26/2021 at 12:20 AM, Soni said:

The dealership does not take any responsibility and have told me that if I charge my phone in the car, that is what is draining the battery.  The problem is, I have never charged my phone in the car.

Honestly, dealers and Ford are ***k

It sounds like you have parasitic drain going on somewhere.

The only option is to visit an auto electrical place and find out what is causing the drain, sometimes it can be a heated mirror not turning off.

Then phone Ford CRC, explain what has been happening and what the useless dealer told you and see if you can claim.

It's really easy as well to see if you have drain going on, you just shut the car down and check the draw on the battery, it's harder to find out what's drawing, but at least you know there's a problem.

And Ford want to know why people are leaving the brand.

Just for reference, all the issues that Ford are now being sued over on the Powershift transmission were initially being dealt with by telling customers they didn't know how to drive. Another one is the Firestone recall crisis, and the Ford Pinto setting on fire on rear impact.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Soni said:

or kiss my ar5e .. whichever suits you, unofix

That will do nicely thank you 🤣

• Haha 2

On 9/13/2021 at 11:41 PM, DaveT70 said:

Honestly, dealers and Ford are ***k

It sounds like you have parasitic drain going on somewhere.

The only option is to visit an auto electrical place and find out what is causing the drain, sometimes it can be a heated mirror not turning off.

Then phone Ford CRC, explain what has been happening and what the useless dealer told you and see if you can claim.

It's really easy as well to see if you have drain going on, you just shut the car down and check the draw on the battery, it's harder to find out what's drawing, but at least you know there's a problem.

And Ford want to know why people are leaving the brand.

Just for reference, all the issues that Ford are now being sued over on the Powershift transmission were initially being dealt with by telling customers they didn't know how to drive. Another one is the Firestone recall crisis, and the Ford Pinto setting on fire on rear impact.

Thank you, Dave!  I appreciate the advice.  I will go and see an auto electrician.  BTW, I was one of the Australian complainants regarding the Powershift transmission debacle.  I was given the same spiel re not driving properly or 'driving like a girl'.  As a collective, Australian consumers had to take Ford to the Commonwealth Consumer Commission to lodge a complaint.  Ford Australia were fined $10m but the Commission did not take the cars off the road, and they left the consumers to their own recourse to prove their individual vehicles were faulty and unrepairable.  I managed to do that and was (after three years) awarded full costs but I know there were many out there who couldn't be bothered going through the process.  Those powershift cars are still on the road and, from my own experience, are deathtraps waiting to happen.  The Ford Focus I have now was part of my settlement and, although it doesn't have the issues of the powershift, it has niggly little problems like the battery which Ford Australia attribute to my own use of the car.  I will follow your advice though.  Thank you again.

Soni  

• Like 1

Once you have found root cause, bill Ford or, preferably the dealer for the diagnosis time to find it, because the dealer should investigate thoroughly.

I had a UK spec MK6 Fiesta ST back in 2006 and the performance was appalling, flat as flatulence, and the dealers and a master tech were telling me it was normal. It was slower than a 1.25 base model. Even after driving another ST back to back with the master tech he said it was within tolerances.

I took the vehicle and had it rolling road checked and it was only pushing 100 BHP, should've been 150. Ford then finally relented and investigated and found the catalyst had been dropped in production and was restricting airflow. They found the catalyst issue by accident when they removed the exhaust to fit a new engine! Yes, they were going to fit a new engine without fully investigating!!!  I billed them the cost of the dyno run and my hourly rate to take it and they reimbursed me.

Something is staying alive on your car after shut down.

Hope you get it sorted 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club