Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E10 fuel, my experience so far.

Blatto

26 minutes ago, Theshed said:

Filled up at local Shell with E5, but Gov't website does say my Mk2 Mondeo 1.8 is compatible with E10.

Ford

E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding:

• Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.This model and Ford models sold before 1992 should continue to use E5.

Personal imports not approved by Ford of Europe are not included in the above statements.

If your Mondeo falls into the above mentioned exclusion, you should not use it. There was a thread specifically saying why but can't find it now. From memory, the new fuel destroys some of the fuel hoses used - maybe someone else can elude to the specific reason!

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Ford

E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding:

• Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.This model and Ford models sold before 1992 should continue to use E5.

Personal imports not approved by Ford of Europe are not included in the above statements.

If your Mondeo falls into the above mentioned exclusion, you should not use it. There was a thread specifically saying why but can't find it now. From memory, the new fuel destroys some of the fuel hoses used - maybe someone else can elude to the specific reason!

Yeah, I remember that, think this was the thread including the (as usual) very informative post from Wilco about the Mondeo 1.8SCI:

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah, I remember that, think this was the thread including the (as usual) very informative post from Wilco about the Mondeo 1.8SCI:

mmm... tad embarrassing, I started that thread & couldn't find it LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

mmm... tad embarrassing, I started that thread & couldn't find it LOL

Not really Stephen, I've found looking for  needles in haystacks easier than using the search facility on here!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not really Stephen, I've found looking for  needles in haystacks easier than using the search facility on here!😀

And dont get me started on that damn flood control on searches even when signed in !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:52 PM, Bobr said:

Just filled up with E10.   I'll report back in two weeks.

Well, it doesn't seem to have made the slightest difference to my mpg.   I've just filled up and, even though I have been driving my usual routes, I've done nearly 2 miles more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I filled up yesterday before a roadtrip to Chester for a surgical consult, and until it really warmed up seemed a little flat. So i may have other issues. My goto mech is on holiday till the 4th. So will see then.

I have had no problems using it in Europe. The performance is marginally blunted but it is no more than the difference between a muggy morning and a bright crisp one. My 1.0 Ecoboost 100 still makes 118 on the flat and does 50 plus MPG over a 1500 mile tour with everything from solid jams to mountain roads. 

• Like 1

Three weeks after my original post and I've been using the E5 Super unleaded since then.

I'm back to my normal 52mpg where it dropped to 48 with the E10.

Temperatures/conditions have been much the same with daytime around low to mid 20's albeit with slightly colder mornings than the previous tests.

Traffic is a bit heavier than before due to more people going back to work from furlough and the schools being fully open, so I would have expected a bit less mpg than before but so far not noticed any.

I'll be switching back to E10 again once this tank runs out. Assuming I can get any fuel, there were massive queues in my area at every garage. The roads were badly congested as a result, took me 2 hours to do my normal 50 minutes journey.🙄

Was wondering with the current chaos is anyone buying whatever grade they can rather than E10 - 5 ?

BTW what is the Mondeo 1.8SCI: ?

6 hours ago, Theshed said:

Was wondering with the current chaos is anyone buying whatever grade they can rather than E10 - 5 ?

BTW what is the Mondeo 1.8SCI: ?

1.8sci was a direct injection duratec engine. Was built for economy but it wasnt very good at anything. Luckily they didn't make many Mondeo's with that engine. Supprised if there's any still being driven on the roads. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Theshed said:

I would suggest that anyone that has queued for hours will full up with whatever they can get. In addition, even without this current chaos, most folk couldn't give a flying hoot what went into their cars as long as it worked!

• Like 1

Not so sure, I am preferring to still use E5 in my 1999 Mondeo. 

Maybe I'm a Luddite ?  🙂

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

most folk couldn't give a flying hoot what went into their cars as long as it worked!

It does seem the way with many drivers, they just put in what ever is cheapest - Petrol, Diesel, Paraffin, Methylated spirits it all burns even coal but that gets stuck in the filler 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Theshed said:

Not so sure, I am preferring to still use E5 in my 1999 Mondeo. 

Maybe I'm a Luddite ?  🙂

Nope, just overloaded with cash! LOL

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, unofix said:

...it all burns even coal but that gets stuck in the filler 🤣

Not if you put it through a food processor first, though her indoors may get a bit upset! LOL

How long should e10 be left in the tank?  As due to me now using the cycle to work scheme I'm finding a tank is lasting just over 3 months is this too long to leave e10 in the tank? 

4 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

How long should e10 be left in the tank?  As due to me now using the cycle to work scheme I'm finding a tank is lasting just over 3 months is this too long to leave e10 in the tank? 

Far too long, you should drain the tank after 2 weeks, then refill with 'fresh' ASAP when needed! (Seriously, 12 weeks will be just fine LOL Plenty of other stuff to worry about in life rather than E10 sitting in a tank!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cjay1 said:

It isn't compulsory to fill the tank. If don't use the car much you can put 20 litres in at a time instead of brimming it.

Petrol lasts a hell of a lot longer than 3 months, I've had some standing in the tank of an old rotovator for 3 years and it started on the second pull at the weekend. Admittedly it was E5 but sticking a bit more Ethanol in it isn't going reduce it's life from 3 years to 3 months.

• Like 1

I put some fissionable material in my tank, is this why i'm going bald ?

2 hours ago, JImpster said:

I put some fissionable material in my tank, is this why i'm going bald ?

Don't think so, Doc Brown had an amazing head of hair 🤣

• Haha 2

How amusing to read the ongoing debate about which fuel does what, dissected to fourteen decimal places. When fuel is fuel and in short supply, everybody fills up with what they can get!

Just filled up with the usual E5. On my journey, a round trip of about 10 miles, I passed four filling stations. all open and selling fuel.

Can I declare panic over ?  🙃

Apparently not. Quite a lot of the country is without available fuel. Welcome to the new normal, predicted by nearly half of us for the last five years.

1 minute ago, anon said:

.. Welcome to the new normal, predicted by nearly half of us for the last five years.

Have you also predicted the huge electricity issues that will occur when we all try to charge our battery cars at the same time, having done away with our nuclear and coal powered generators, hoping with fingers crossed that the wind will blow, and the sun will shine? 🤣

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club