Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless lock/unlock only working on drivers door

unofix

My Focus MK4 has Keyless lock/unlock on all 4 doors, or at least it had a few weeks ago. Today I tried to open the front passenger door - but it refused to unlock, so then I tried each of the rear doors and the same, it would not unlock, (using the buttons on the keyfob works on all 4 doors)

The drivers door keyless lock/unlock is working fine. So my first thought was that some how the lock/unlock drivers door only has been accidentally selected but no. I've tried selecting and deselecting 'Drivers door only' and 'All doors' but still keyless entry remains unavailable for the 3 passenger doors.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I did wonder, but I'd had just parked up after a 12 mile drive. I'll stick a multimeter on and check.

Checked battery with a meter, only 12.02V which given I've just done 2 x 12mile journeys I would have expected better.

Have put the battery on charge and will leave overnight and hope the locking sorts itself out in the morning.

14 minutes ago, unofix said:

Checked battery with a meter, only 12.02V which given I've just done 2 x 12mile journeys I would have expected better.

Have put the battery on charge and will leave overnight and hope the locking sorts itself out in the morning.

That is a bit low. I know from my own monitoring that just waking up the car causes a large current draw and a one hour run might only add 3 or 4 % to the SOC depending on whether it is charging conventionally or one of the other modes. 

At 12.02v it should be working. 

My voltage is rarely above 12v and I use the  front and rear passenger door lock most days.

I know it will work as low as 11.2v but I must add I dont use a multimeter just the plug in gizmo.

If battery state of charge is below 40% all keyless functions of the vehicle stop working as a power saving mode apart from the driver's door, this was a new "feature" when the new fiesta came out and has since been used on all new vehicles after it👍

• Like 5

Just to update this, after a full 24 hours on charge the battery standing voltage has gone from 12.02V to a healthy 13.96V (I expect that will fall back a little in the next few hours).

Had to do a full ignition cycle, and start engine then as if by the magic of Harry Potter's wand .... All the keyless lock / unlocking are working again 👍

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, unofix said:

Just to update this, after a full 24 hours on charge the battery standing voltage has gone from 12.02V to a healthy 13.96V (I expect that will fall back a little in the next few hours).

Must admit, until recently I'd never really appreciated what (in voltage terms) 40% charge really is. 

Learned a lot last year during lockdown through various threads on here about battery condition, "smart" charging, etc.

download-2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Must admit, until recently I'd never really appreciated what (in voltage terms) 40% charge really is. 

Learned a lot last year during lockdown through various threads on here about battery condition, "smart" charging, etc.

download-2.jpeg

The problem with these cars is that they have a massive current draw when you wake them up and just sitting with the Ignition on can draw anything from 8 to nearly 20 Amps depending on whether the Auto lights and Heating fan etc are on so to get a meaningful reading you need to open the Bonnet and measure at the battery after leaving the car for 1/2 an hour or so until everything is shut down.

If you plug something into the cigarette lighter then you will always get a falsely low reading.

Yup new cars are crap as little run arounds now, guarantee if you only do a mile or 2 a day expect a flat battery in a week

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

download-2.jpeg

Intresting chart. Thanks for posting it. 

Looking at those numbers our Focus sits comfortably at 30%-40% it's very rare for it to show 12v after being left o overnight or a few days.

Something tells me that the little gizmo must be telling me porkies because if I park up after my work  shifts are done (Sunday night) and dont use the car for until I go back (Wed/ Thurs) then it generally reads 11.5/11.6v 🤔

14 hours ago, Wino said:

Looking at those numbers our Focus sits comfortably at 30%-40% it's very rare for it to show 12v after being left o overnight or a few days.

Yes, I found the same, though it's never failed to fire up first touch of the button so far. Getting a bit more use now of course, as the worst of the restrictions are (hopefully) behind us!

16 hours ago, Tizer said:

If you plug something into the cigarette lighter then you will always get a falsely low reading.

Found that too. So I also use the meter on the battery to get a reading.

Done more battery checking/charging in the last 18 months or so than in the previous 50 years of driving!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

Yup new cars are crap as little run arounds now, guarantee if you only do a mile or 2 a day expect a flat battery in a week

Can't help agreeing with you. My mum, in her 80s, has a 20 (!) year old Toyota Yaris, used it for about 10miles/week, and it never failed to start once, even when unused for 3 consecutive months in lockdown! I love driving it as it has a sunroof, and icy cold A/C which hasn't been touched since new - you can tell it's not a Ford LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

My mum, in her 80s, has a 20 (!) year old Toyota Yaris, used it for about 10miles/week, and it never failed to start once, even when unused for 3 consecutive months in lockdown! 

Presumably it lacks the "benefit" of "smart" charging!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club