Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems with LCDs in Instrument Cluster MK2 2007

win33

Hi I have a 2007 Automatic focus and the I'm having problems with the LCD panels on the instrument cluster, the top one is just about readable but the bottom one isn't. I'm aware there are plenty of companies who repair the clusters but I'm in Spain and can't find anyone local. I'm more than capable of replacing the LCD's myself but need to find where I can purchase them. I saw one that sort of resembles the top LCD on fleabay but it states its for a later facelift model. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

f7badb43-11b6-43c3-9ef8-5e4c79eb3347.jpg

To be honest I never found replacement displays for this type of instrument cluster.

Back in the days when I used to repair these instrument clusters as a hobby I salvaged the displays from instrument clusters that were beyond repair and had quite a few of them on stock. However I threw all of them away some time ago.

Another problem will be that a MK2 instrument cluster with dual display are rare because it was only used on automatic transmission versions but a MK2 instrument cluster with red illumination is even rarer. The MK2 instrument cluster wit red illumination was part of the interior facelift in 2007 and was only used for about 9 Months until the MK2.5 was introduced.

I suggest to buy yourself a Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster with the large display. When configured properly the MK2.5 instrument cluster is fully compatible with your car.

• Like 6

I have a similar problem bur only by 50%, in as much the top screen on mine has gone {also a 2007 focus Ghia] after months of searching and asking questions of getting on for 100 companies advertising cluster repairs, NOT ONE as soon as they are aware its the red clock cluster will offer a repair. Ford will sell you a new cluster between £800-£1000 plus the cost of cloning and copying your original module into the new one as it holds your correct mileage, immobiliser data to name but 2. I've now resigned mysel to scouring eBay for a working one but theyre like hens teeth or gold rocking horse poo LOL. As long as the vehicle runs and drives i'd put up with it till youve the funds to replace it, as current will be extreemly difficult to sell on.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JW1982 said:

I suggest to buy yourself a Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster with the large display. When configured properly the MK2.5 instrument cluster is fully compatible with your car.

Nobody i've spoken to has mentioned this option and believe me ive asked, even if the green cluster can be retro fitted. I cant or wont justify spending £1000 on a cluster. Allegedly the issue is you CANNOT get replacement LCD's. Unless you can point in any direction.

Are the LCDs illuminated by LEDs in the cluster? If so would it possible for me to buy a cluster from a mk2 automatic with green illumination and remove the LCDS and install them into mine? 

The displays are illuminated by LED's but also contain a colored layer of foil that is embedded between the layers of glass. The green displays have a green colored foil while the red displays have a red colored foil.

Installing green displays in a red illuminated instrument cluster will result in weird orange illuminated displays.

Installing a MK2 instrument cluster with green illumination or MK2.5 instrument cluster is perfectly possible. Since 2008 I have done this at least a dozen times. Even an RS instrument cluster is fully compatible with any MK2/MK2.5 Petrol version. Installing an MK2.5 instrument cluster can also be quite cheap. Recently I bought a low mileage, mint condition MK2.5 instrument cluster with large display from a UK based scrap yard I paid less than €100,- including P&P. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster can easily be configured/reprogrammed using a cheap ELM327 in combination with the free ELMconfig and Forscan software.

• Thanks 1

I see a gap in the market for someone with skills and knowledge, sadly i have neither but would be willing to pay, i dont really care about a weird orange or green, just the display shows any warnings in the system and a pre warning would be helpful, some say it only shows gear selection while other a myriad of information. picture of mine added.

car5.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The displays are illuminated by LED's but also contain a colored layer of foil that is embedded between the layers of glass. The green displays have a green colored foil while the red displays have a red colored foil.

Installing green displays in a red illuminated instrument cluster will result in weird orange illuminated displays.

Installing a MK2 instrument cluster with green illumination or MK2.5 instrument cluster is perfectly possible. Since 2008 I have done this at least a dozen times. Even an RS instrument cluster is fully compatible with any MK2/MK2.5 Petrol version. Installing an MK2.5 instrument cluster can also be quite cheap. Recently I bought a low mileage, mint condition MK2.5 instrument cluster with large display from a UK based scrap yard I paid less than €100,- including P&P. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster can easily be configured/reprogrammed using a cheap ELM327 in combination with the free ELMconfig and Forscan software.

Looks like that is the way to go, I have programmed stuff like keys, immobilizers and cruise control on other cars I've owned and I'm very tech savvy. One thing I read when about reprogramming a new cluster is that the new cluster has to have a lower mileage? is that correct?

21 minutes ago, JImpster said:

I see a gap in the market for someone with skills and knowledge, sadly i have neither but would be willing to pay, i dont really care about a weird orange or green, just the display shows any warnings in the system and a pre warning would be helpful, some say it only shows gear selection while other a myriad of information. picture of mine added.

car5.jpg

I came across that picture of yours on google a couple of days ago, I had no idea they were so rare.

• Like 1

i know mine only 50% knackered, so will pass an MOT ? will yours being as both displays are shot at ?

how about buying same clocks and just using the lcd screen in yours or as sugested put mk 2 fl clock in it wont cost a £1000

i updated mine to the larger screen type they cost £80 and i done it my self

• Like 1

This is what i'm saying, the majority of cluster repairers wont touch them so people are left with main dealer or finding an enthusiastic self taught. One of the probs is you cannot find the same clocks to repair with. I'd kinda banked a couple of hundred quid to sort it. As an extra spec in the already muddy waters apparently there are 2 versions of the red clocks only discernable by removing and reading the part numbers from the rear. Luckily i've already had mine out and photographed all the numbers and stickers on the rear according to my local main dealer you cannot spec it from the reg or VIN#.

Also at one-time you could buy genuine LCD's to replace then they dried up, there were some via china but had quality issues. TBF from what ive gleaned they are ribbon mounted not soldered.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JW1982 said:

To be honest I never found replacement displays for this type of instrument cluster.

Back in the days when I used to repair these instrument clusters as a hobby I salvaged the displays from instrument clusters that were beyond repair and had quite a few of them on stock. However I threw all of them away some time ago.

Another problem will be that a MK2 instrument cluster with dual display are rare because it was only used on automatic transmission versions but a MK2 instrument cluster with red illumination is even rarer. The MK2 instrument cluster wit red illumination was part of the interior facelift in 2007 and was only used for about 9 Months until the MK2.5 was introduced.

You suggest that I install a MK2.5 instrument cluster with the large display, is that because mine is an Auto? I have seen some photos on Google of 2008/2009 focuses with automatic gearbox and MK2.5 cluster with normal size display.

I have read that I need a cluster with lower mileage than my existing one, however mine is low mileage (97000 kms or 60000 miles) so that might be another hurdle, is there a way round this?

Thanks

A MK2.5 instrument cluster with small display is also possible but to be honest the large display looks so much better and the price difference is usually very small.

If the "new" instrument cluster has a lower mileage than the car the mileage can easily be adjusted upwards. Adjusting the mileage downwards is not possible without a diagnostic system that has these capabilities (for example as a paid function of the UCDS diagnostic system).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

All upgraded now to a MK2.5 cluster with the small screen. It was a bargain at 60 euro and is in perfect condition. With foresight I also purchased UCDS system but it turned out the new dash only had 70k kms on it, 20k less than mine! So just bumped up the mileage in forscan. One problem I had was the message "power steering malfunction" would pop up every time I turned on the ignition and engine, which wasn't occurring before. I soon realised that my car doesn't have electohydraulic power steering, so I unchecked this option in the GEM module with forscan and voila, all running perfectly!
Thanks for everyone's help and guidance, it's been invaluable

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that before I ordered a new mk2.5 cluster I attempted to repair my original (rev counter was erratic and few lights not coming on all the time). I went over the connector pins twice with my soldering iron, they were perfect but it didn't work. I also inpsected the LCD displays, they were dated 2005, almost 2 years before the cluster was made! Someone had replaced the red LCDS with the older green type, which then paired with the red LEDS behind was causing them to be unreadable.

Hi Adam, just checking that you know that the new instrument cluster will have to be programmed up so that the PAT's security system will allow the car to start.

Also that you can only increase the Miles/kM up to match your old IC. You can not reduce the Miles/kM on the replacment cluster.

On 9/5/2021 at 7:17 AM, JW1982 said:

Agree 100%, best to buy a good used MK2.5 Cluster and have that programmed to your car.

Your cluster is a MK2.25 LOL and as rare as rocking horse poo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi Adam, just checking that you know that the new instrument cluster will have to be programmed up so that the PAT's security system will allow the car to start.

Also that you can only increase the Miles/kM up to match your old IC. You can not reduce the Miles/kM on the replacment cluster.

Yeah done all that and working perfectly. Copied over the config files from old cluster with ELMconfig then programmed them to the new one. Then used forscan to do the PATS with 2 keys and initialise the module. As I said I did purchase a UCDS system in order to correct the mileage, but didn't need it as the new cluster was lower mileage, so bumped it up in forscan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Agree 100%, best to buy a good used MK2.5 Cluster and have that programmed to your car.

Your cluster is a MK2.25 LOL and as rare as rocking horse poo

Did you do it yourself or can you recommend who did yours, i've got the rocking horse poo version, mines only got 37,500 on it so double screwed haha

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club