Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New tyres what to get?

cjay1

Having scoured the internet I've narrowed the choice down to 2 tyres 

Kleber quadraxer 2 at £65 plus fitting which in my local area is £15-£20

or 

Pirelli CINTURATO ALL SEASON SF 2 at £95 fully fitted.

The quadraxer looks to score poorly on aquaplaning resistance but the tyres are unlikely to be pushed hard as mostly city driving with a couple of motorways cruses per year.

The Pirelli looks to score well in all areas but is slightly more expensive. 

Any opinions on what to get? 

What tyres are people fitting to there fiestas?

I'm looking for a tyre that works well in a UK climate, is reasonably quiet and can climb a snow covered incline.

I just bought a set of 4 Michelin CrossClimates.

• Excellent handling and braking on dry roads
  • Very responsive for an all-weather tyre
  • Outstanding wet traction and grip
  • Supremely comfortable and quiet driving experience
  • Very good traction and handling on snow
  • Thanks 1

Auto Express have just run the tyre test again, the Vredestein came out well, great value, but believe it or not the Korean Hankook won!! A few years ago you avoided them they have made great strides - Hankook are now factory fit on some BMW's. I got a set of Avon ZX7's for the Fiesta, they are great value too.

Black and round ones I always found are the best! 😛

Anyway, I am currently running 2 pairs of all seasons on mine. Michelin Cross climate+ and Goodyear 4 seasons. The Crossclimates are more of a summer biased tyre with winter capabilities whereas the Goodyears do better in snow/wintery conditions. Michelin have now launched the Crossclimate 2 which has show improvements in all areas of tyre testing. Tyre reviews have just tested them compared to the old ones to prove this. Later this month they will do a full test comparing them to the competition.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

I just bought a set of 4 Michelin CrossClimates.

• Excellent handling and braking on dry roads
  • Very responsive for an all-weather tyre
  • Outstanding wet traction and grip
  • Supremely comfortable and quiet driving experience
  • Very good traction and handling on snow

How much did you pay. cheapest I've found is £130 corner for 195 45 r16 or £156 for 195 50 r16. Didn't really want to go that high. But agree they are a very good tyre

Last year, for my size (205/45  17) Michelins were about £5 per tyre more than Goodyears on Camskill, approx £120 + fitting. They went up in price when I bought Goodyears in Feb which came out the same as Mich I bought in Sept.

55 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 for me.

I ran a few sets of Rainsport 2s on my previous car and love them, brilliant in the wet, not too bad in winter and lasted quite well. I replaced them with the 'improved' Rainsport 3s which were just as good in the wet, but for me only lasted the Summer. 7-8k mile later and they were bald! That put me off buying Uriroyals again. They also have a reputation of soft sidewalls which may be more prone to (pothole) damage. I replaced them with Assymetric 2s which had better wear.

However I think the OP is wanting All-season type tyres not these summer tyres. These will not only give good grip in the wet and dry, but will cope a lot better in winter when temps are cold. I can remember getting wheelspin in top gear when accelerating using Goodyear summer tyres, many years ago.

Yes needs to be able to cope in snow since the council have stopped gritting the estate I live on and it's all uphill to get to a main road. Summer tyres won't cut it as the car gets stuck like a beached whale. Can't even catch the bus without a 1.5 mile walk as they suspend the service at first snow fall due to the ungritted road. 

205/40/17 michelin pilot sport 4 for me!! Just had 2 fitted from blackcircles,

Below £200 fitted the pair, 2 more going on before the winter !

2 hours ago, cjay1 said:

Yes needs to be able to cope in snow since the council have stopped gritting the estate I live on and it's all uphill to get to a main road. Summer tyres won't cut it as the car gets stuck like a beached whale. Can't even catch the bus without a 1.5 mile walk as they suspend the service at first snow fall due to the ungritted road. 

You live on a bus route and the council don't grit the road?  My front street is a "bus route" and the council grits the road, usually when it's too late, mind.

If it gets that bad, get a proper set of winters on a spare set of wheels.  Yeah it's a chew on having to swap them, you'll save money in the long run though.

4 hours ago, cjay1 said:

How much did you pay. cheapest I've found is £130 corner for 195 45 r16 or £156 for 195 50 r16. Didn't really want to go that high. But agree they are a very good tyre

195/55 R16  they were around £100 per tyre but Michelin were doing £50 cashback Lloyds bank had 5% off at ATS and ATS had 10% off

so about £75 each

2 hours ago, mickywrx said:

You live on a bus route and the council don't grit the road?  My front street is a "bus route" and the council grits the road, usually when it's too late, mind.

If it gets that bad, get a proper set of winters on a spare set of wheels.  Yeah it's a chew on having to swap them, you'll save money in the long run though.

They used to grit whenever the temperature fell below 2°c following budget cuts only plough/grit during severe winter conditions. They have installed grit bins every 100 metres or so as part of the community self help scheme. Still far from ideal though when you're setting off for work at 5:30am.

I don't want the faff of swapping Tyres around twice a year for the few days a year we get snow and ice on the road. all season tyres will do a good enough job of getting the car out on to the main  roads which are gritted.

I've gone for the cross climate 2 at £420 the set a bit more than I was originally going to pay but they should last longer than what I was looking at and perform better throughout there tread life. Getting them fitted Monday.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 4:56 PM, Jim H said:

I ran a few sets of Rainsport 2s on my previous car and love them, brilliant in the wet, not too bad in winter and lasted quite well. I replaced them with the 'improved' Rainsport 3s which were just as good in the wet, but for me only lasted the Summer. 7-8k mile later and they were bald! That put me off buying Uriroyals again. They also have a reputation of soft sidewalls which may be more prone to (pothole) damage. I replaced them with Assymetric 2s which had better wear.

However I think the OP is wanting All-season type tyres not these summer tyres. These will not only give good grip in the wet and dry, but will cope a lot better in winter when temps are cold. I can remember getting wheelspin in top gear when accelerating using Goodyear summer tyres, many years ago.

Uniroyal — has launched the new-generation rain tire RainSport 5, which is coming to replace RainSport 3 in the company's model range. The main difference between the new-generation tire and its predecessor is the increased mileage.

• Like 2

I have been using mainly Uniroyal all season tyres (AllSeasonExpert) since 1995.

Used Hakkapeliitta tyres when lived in Finland and later in Central Europe tried in winter Michelin Alpin. The latter was the worst experience I have ever had with tyres. So, the renegade period was short and I went back to Uniroyal.

And the situation now.

5 hours ago, Bobr said:

The main difference between the new-generation tire and its predecessor is the increased mileage.

It would need to be good increase. a 50% mileage uplift for example would only be 12000 miles based on the other posters experience still low by today's standards.

3 hours ago, cjay1 said:

It would need to be good increase. a 50% mileage uplift for example would only be 12000 miles based on the other posters experience still low by today's standards.

I'm not really bothered about the mileage.   I've had these tyres and I know how good they are, especially in the wet.   To me good tyres are just as important as good brakes.

Yes true, they do have a market to fill. Ideally though i want a tyre with as few compromises as possible. Low tread life not only increases the financial cost of the tyre but also the environmental one.

I've run Uniroyal Rainsport tyres for years and never had a problem with rapid tread wear, in fact they seem reasonably long-lasting to me. Just bought a car with Michelins on it and looking forward to getting them swapped, I've never known tyres with this much road noise.

• Like 1

What happened to the Rainsport 4?  Wear rates so poor it didn't even last until fitting perhaps...? :biggrin: 

I've had both RS2s & RS3's and found the wear to be excessive.  Those were on old NA petrols as well, I wouldn't want them on anything with torque!  They were a bit better in the wet than others though.  Particularly Proxes T1-R which were raved about on forums at the time and were shocking tbh.  Horrible snatchy grip that would let go in the wet with no warning.  At least the tread pattern looked cool I suppose. :rolleyes: 

You'd be better off investing in a pair of snow socks for the few days a year you'll need them.  No tyre will manage an icy hill without plenty of grit.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

They were a bit better in the wet than others though.  

That's what matters to me Tom.   I've dealt with a few accidents caused by tyres not managing in the wet and I don't want to be involved in one.   Mind you, there were a few idiotic drivers involved who though that they could drive just as fast in the wet.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cjay1 said:

I've gone for the cross climate 2 at £420 the set a bit more than I was originally going to pay but they should last longer than what I was looking at and perform better throughout there tread life. Getting them fitted Monday.

Good choice. Tuesday these were fitted to our other car (Mk3 Skoda Fabia). Expensive, but should last a while. In saying that the original Bridgestones they replaces still had plenty of tread (3-4mm) after 5years and 28k miles, however they were cracking up. They were £312 fitted by a local garage.

IMG-20210907-145846858-HDR-2.jpg

They look very promising with the few reviews available rating them highly. Only came to market 1st September and promise a good improvement over crossclimate+which is already a good tyre for the UK climate. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club