Do Not Sell My Personal Information

engine malfunction

mrmetallica

i have a ford focus 09 mk2 face lift and today driving home from my daughters it threw up engine malfunction.

when it came up it went into a slow crawl i turned the ignition off then back on and it was ok it done that 3-4 times

what should i look at first please ? ive done a search but not much come up i need the car so need to sort it out asap

7 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

it threw up engine malfunction

Cmon man surely you've been here long enough now to know this means it's time to break out Forscan.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Cmon man surely you've been here long enough now to know this means it's time to break out Forscan.

i did a scan not with forscan and no codes came up 😞

If you have engine malfunction and an engine management light, you should have a fault code somewhere.

If you're using a cheap/generic code reader I'd suggest using Forscan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

If you have engine malfunction and an engine management light, you should have a fault code somewhere.

If you're using a cheap/generic code reader I'd suggest using Forscan.

ill try that but thought someone is bound to have had the same so could advise me

The problem is it could be a vast number of things that without codes being read there is pretty much no starting point for anybody to work with, it would be pure guesses and could be completely wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jlawes20389 said:

The problem is it could be a vast number of things that without codes being read there is pretty much no starting point for anybody to work with, it would be pure guesses and could be completely wrong.

ok cheers

i cant seem to get the obd to connect to laptop ? what unit should i use with forscan is it elm ?

4 minutes ago, pcaouolte said:

This one works: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

A lot of the stuff advertised as ELM is not good quality and ForScan won't work with it. 

ive got a good one ive had fr ages thart has worked fvery well but some reason wont connect

1 minute ago, mrmetallica said:

ive got a good one ive had fr ages thart has worked fvery well but some reason wont connect

Has the CAN switch been knocked?  Need to connect in HS CAN iirc.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Has the CAN switch been knocked?  Need to connect in HS CAN iirc.

ive tried it both ways where can i download the drivers for it ?

5 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

ive tried it both ways where can i download the drivers for it ?

Drivers depend on the chip in your cable but should be available from a Google.  There are some options on the TR site here - Links & Help (fwscart.com)

connected it but says no codes ? car run ok this morning .

9 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

connected it but says no codes ? car run ok this morning .

No codes in the PCM or TCM at all?  Were there any in other modules? 

Yes, as said, you need to read codes.

But it does sound like the common cluster solder fault.

When you do read the codes, if you get loads of faults saying "LOST COMUNICATION WITH bla-bla-bla"

AND, the main one, "THEFT DETECTED"

Then the cluster needs to go off for repair.

it just said  no codes all it came up on screen with is engine malfunction

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Yes, as said, you need to read codes.

But it does sound like the common cluster solder fault.

When you do read the codes, if you get loads of faults saying "LOST COMUNICATION WITH bla-bla-bla"

AND, the main one, "THEFT DETECTED"

Then the cluster needs to go off for repair.

i can solder so not a problem

It does sound like the speedo cluster soldering on the pins in the plug connector problem. There are YouTube videos on how to do this although the ones I have seen are for mk2 not mk2.5 ,  much the same but socket is orientated differently iirc. Needs dismantling including removing needles from gauges in order to get to the correct side of circuit board to solder. Small fiddly soldering needed. On my brothers mk2.5 we thought it was this but that did not cure it. It was a problem with plug connectors / wiring somewhere between Speedo cluster and the ecu causing the high speed canbus to be interrupted now and then. I spent so long trying to find the intermittent problem. In the end I rewired the high speed canbus and soldered connections.  Hope you don’t have to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, isetta said:

It does sound like the speedo cluster soldering on the pins in the plug connector problem. There are YouTube videos on how to do this although the ones I have seen are for mk2 not mk2.5 ,  much the same but socket is orientated differently iirc. Needs dismantling including removing needles from gauges in order to get to the correct side of circuit board to solder. Small fiddly soldering needed. On my brothers mk2.5 we thought it was this but that did not cure it. It was a problem with plug connectors / wiring somewhere between Speedo cluster and the ecu causing the high speed canbus to be interrupted now and then. I spent so long trying to find the intermittent problem. In the end I rewired the high speed canbus and soldered connections.  Hope you don’t have to do that.

ive done the speedo with the iron so will see how it goes

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club