Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Galaxy 2010 instrument cluster stopped working

Gallantfive

My instrument cluster has stopped working in its entirety. I have checked the 5 amp instrument cluster fuse in the engine and passenger fuse boxes but both appear fine. I tried replacing them with new fuses anyway but no change. I have also discounted the battery for 30 mins in the hope this may resolve the issue through resetting the ecu. I am not sure what else else to do. Any suggestions?

Are there any lights on the IC ?

If its 100% dead and it has no lights, no guages working, no rev or speedo then my first point to check would be the main ground (negative) connection to the IC panel.

• 2 months later...

Update. It's working again! Odd but when I began checking for faults I extended and lowered the steering wheel and the instrument cluster came back to life. Returning the wheel back to its preferred position, three months on its still working. Weird.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:08 PM, unofix said:

main ground (negative) connection to the IC panel.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had a similar issue.

Turned out it was the connector on the back of the instrument panel not "connecting", which I figured out when I noticed that if I wobbled the connector it would switch on and off.

Fixed it by _very gently_ widening the gap between the male pins on the connector to ensure their was contact on all pins between the male and female.

1 hour ago, Stray said:

I had a similar issue.

Turned out it was the connector on the back of the instrument panel not "connecting", which I figured out when I noticed that if I wobbled the connector it would switch on and off.

Fixed it by _very gently_ widening the gap between the male pins on the connector to ensure their was contact on all pins between the male and female.

An alternate possible cause in your case would be that your cluster is suffering from the common problem of cracked solder joints where the main wiring connector is soldered to the circuit board.

I'd be happy to take a look and repair this for you if you like, here's my repair service: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314393033915

It's possible this was the cause for the OP also. His moving the steering wheel position obviously had to have moved some wiring to have made a difference. Either there's one or more damaged wires back there, bad pin connections as you suggest, or he's also suffering from the cracked solder joint issue and the shift in wiring has placed slightly different pressure on the connector such that the two sides of the cracks are coming into contact.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club