Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Kitten Rescue

Turvey
聽Share

Don't know if any cat lovers out there, if not forgive this post 馃榾

Workmate asked yesterday if I wanted a kitten as he had just rescued one. I explained that my mother-in-law had just had to have her cat put down and was looking for a replacement and I would take it home for her.

Turns out that 2 crows were trying to get this kitten and it had hidden itself in the engine area of one of the work trucks. How he got it out I don't know!聽

When it was in a box I couldn't even put my hand near it for fear of losing a finger! Yet today less than 24 hours later...

Now I'm no expert but I don't think that mother-in-law will get a chance to get this kitten! It is the cutest thing ever and has the most gorgeous eyes and 3 out of the 4 kids and Mrs Turvey have fallen in love with it!聽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Turvey said:

and Mrs Turvey have fallen in love with it!

The decision is out of your hands now!

A long time ago, about 1990, my work assistant asked me if I would like a pair of rescued kittens. I thought about it for a good 2 seconds, and being mindful of Vet's bills and food bills, I said No thanks, it was too much of a commitment, or something like that.

His wife worked for a Vet, and was involved in rescuing & re-homing pets. She obviously thought that was the wrong answer, so went over my head and spoke to my better (less mean!) half. Next thing I knew, two tiny kittens in a little box had arrived. And it was clear they were staying! I had the choice of like it or lump it, and they were very cute, so I chose the like it route!

One of the cats disappeared a couple of years later, probably hit by a car or something, we did search but to no avail. But Blackie lived to a ripe old age, and was a really affectionate cat, as long as he got his own way, of course - if he got annoyed he let you know, as cats usually do. He was a big part of our lives, so even I could not begrudge the food bills, and the Vet's bills were just a minor annoyance, really. I have good memories of the 15 or so years that cat was with us.

• Like 1

@Tdci-Peter I must admit I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to cats as well. We've always had at least one about the house, we've already got 2 just now so 1 more won't make that much of a difference.聽

Just need to find a name for her now.聽

received_553045575780347.jpeg

• Like 2

Hmm, names for a grey cat...聽 How about Magnetic Kuga?聽

I might have spent too much time on here. :laugh:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, names for a grey cat...聽 How about Magnetic Kuga?聽

I might have spent too much time on here. :laugh:

Only聽might?馃榾

In my experience it doesn't really matter what you call your cat - they just ignore you anyway unless they want something!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Think we might need to rethink gender suitable names for the kitten!聽

Think we think we've just found a pair of...

pair-tennis-balls-13663364.jpg

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yusuf Islam...聽馃き

I've suggested Steven as in Cat Steven but I've been overruled!聽 聽馃檮馃榾

• Haha 2

My little one was a rescue kitten, I've had cats all my adult life, but this one is very special...

474937056_Sparkleblanket.thumb.JPG.8976d8ea784304d89aeea31af2f9cc48.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

***** Galore?聽 1000 Tonne Excavator?

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

I've suggested Steven as in Cat Steven but I've been overruled!聽

The cat may not care much what is is called. I often called Blackie a lazy, fat, useless lump, but if I scratched his chin while I said it, he purred regardless, and if I stopped paying due attention, he dug his claws in just as a gentle reminder of what was important.

But the neighbours and general passers-by (if you get many of those in Orkney) may care. The sexy James Bond girl name may give rise to a few quizzical looks if you go round in the garden or street at night calling for the wee beastie.

1000 Tonne Excavator had me confused (it doesn't take much these days :wheelchair: ), so I had to google it! A driver of a giant Caterpillar digger may also get a bit confused if he (or even she) hears you calling for him/her!

We gave up, and called one Stripey cat ('cos he was stripey), and the other Black cat, or just Blackie, for reasons equally obvious. Though the missus called Stripey cat Swayze (after Patrick) for some odd reason.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

The cat may not care much what is is called. I often called Blackie a lazy, fat, useless lump, but if I scratched his chin while I said it, he purred regardless, and if I stopped paying due attention, he dug his claws in just as a gentle reminder of what was important.

But the neighbours and general passers-by (if you get many of those in Orkney) may care. The sexy James Bond girl name may give rise to a few quizzical looks if you go round in the garden or street at night calling for the wee beastie.

1000 Tonne Excavator had me confused (it doesn't take much these days :wheelchair: ), so I had to google it! A driver of a giant Caterpillar digger may also get a bit confused if he (or even she) hears you calling for him/her!

We gave up, and called one Stripey cat ('cos he was stripey), and the other Black cat, or just Blackie, for reasons equally obvious. Though the missus called Stripey cat Swayze (after Patrick) for some odd reason.

Shouting 'Blackie' at night may also not be appropriate nowadays.聽:ermm:

Maybe it'd be safer to聽go for a more location based name...聽 Twatt for example... :biggrin:

• Haha 3

I always think it's weird how we have to name both animals & humans within the first few days of their life, before they really have any sort of personality or future path.聽 How do you know if your kid is going to grow into their name?聽聽:g:

13 hours ago, Turvey said:

I've suggested Steven as in Cat Steven but I've been overruled!聽 聽馃檮馃榾

If you're keeping it...how about Perry?聽 Or even Catty Burke... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I always think it's weird how we have to name both animals & humans within the first few days of their life, before they really have any sort of personality or future path.聽 How do you know if your kid is going to grow into their name?

And does the name influence how your life goes?

I looked up the origins of mine:

Rogeris agiven name, usually masculine, and asurname. The given name is derived from theOld Frenchpersonal namesRogerandRogier. These names are ofGermanicorigin, derived from the elementshr艒d,蠂r艒镁i("fame", "renown", "honour") andg膩r,g膿r("spear", "lance") (Hr艒镁ig膿raz). The name was introduced into England by theNormans.

While I am a legend in my own lunchtime, I've never been known for sticking spears into people!馃榾

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

And does the name influence how your life goes?

I looked up the origins of mine:

Rogeris agiven name, usually masculine, and asurname. The given name is derived from theOld Frenchpersonal namesRogerandRogier. These names are ofGermanicorigin, derived from the elementshr艒d,蠂r艒镁i("fame", "renown", "honour") andg膩r,g膿r("spear", "lance") (Hr艒镁ig膿raz). The name was introduced into England by theNormans.

While I am a legend in my own lunchtime, I've never been known for sticking spears into people!馃榾

I wonder how different your life would've been if you were called Lance! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Maybe it'd be safer to聽go for a more location based name...聽 Twatt for example... :biggrin:

馃槃

20444_1371979822471_2159524_n.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation, and keeping the musical connections going, we already have an Ozzy (Osborne) and an Izzy (Stradlin) , may I introduce Ziggy (Marley or Stardust- depending on your musical persuasion)聽

Doing fine, no accidents, yet 馃 and behaving himself pretty well. Other cats are tolerating him up to a point.

IMG_20210920_164922198.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turvey said:

Doing fine, no accidents, yet 馃 and behaving himself pretty well. Other cats are tolerating him up to a point.

I need to stop looking at such cute photos - making me quite broody LOL

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club