Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 4 diesel first service

south_bound

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Dealer's, as part of routine service, will not plug into OBD port unless MIL is on, or unless you pay them to.

They also will not check and perform updates unless you complain of an issue and part of the diagnosis process is to perform a software update. Unless you pay them to.

I know software updates are additional but I thought they always checked for fault codes at services?  I must admit, it's 10 years since I worked at an MD though. 😮 

Are software updates not free under warranty if you complain about something?  I've bought a few cars around 6 years old that needed software updates (2 of which were Fords!) and I fail to believe that's something that started after the warranty period.  

1 hour ago, south_bound said:

All this talk of breakdown assistance - doesn't say much about the confidence levels people have with new or newish cars nowadays!

You only need a tyre to blow on a motorway and the cost off a recover service will be well worth it, the cost to be towed off the motorway can be expensive. I believe the Highways Agency charge a flat fee of £150 to take your car to the nearest service area, I guess then you'd need to call a local garage out.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I know software updates are additional but I thought they always checked for fault codes at services?  I must admit, it's 10 years since I worked at an MD though. 😮 

Are software updates not free under warranty if you complain about something?  I've bought a few cars around 6 years old that needed software updates (2 of which were Fords!) and I fail to believe that's something that started after the warranty period.  

No, they don't plug into OBD unless MIL is on or you mention a fault. Scandalous!

If you manage to complain about the correct issue they will follow the diagnosis process and update if asked. ie, Window bounce back is automatic update of DDM/PDM

Other issues will come back NAF, ironically Ford dealers are NAFF too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

You only need a tyre to blow on a motorway and the cost off a recover service will be well worth it, the cost to be towed off the motorway can be expensive. I believe the Highways Agency charge a flat fee of £150 to take your car to the nearest service area, I guess then you'd need to call a local garage out.

As I said above that has happened to me twice, once I was lucky to be able to pull onto the hard shoulder where it was a bit wider and the other I limped about a mile along the hard shoulder in first gear to the services.  Both times I changed the wheel myself and carried on a lot quicker than waiting for a tow and if on a Sunday or evening/night there is probably no chance of getting it repaired same day anyway.  I won't buy a car without some sort of spare, which is becoming more of a challenge nowadays.

• Like 2

Just to update as promised, it seems I was really out of touch on the cost of servicing, and shows how much I was saving by doing it myself for the past 10 years on the Mk 2 when £30 of oil and a £7 filter did the job!  oil filter, cabin filter, 6.3 ltrs 0W30 oil, 2 ltr windscreen wash, a stamp in the book and an hour of labour, all in at just over £200.  Anyway, good for another 2 years and then I can see if I have the time and motivation to do it myself if I still have the car by then.  Out of interest I checked the cost of filters and oil on ECP and they were about the price I was invoiced, give or take - I know I could get better prices elsewhere even after the made up 40% reduction, so it would seem all parts have increased recently (or the Mk 4 just uses expensive parts).

I sorted out the "change oil soon" and TPMS messages myself before dropping it off, just going through the menus to reset them.  Obviously I checked and topped up the tyre pressures first, they all seemed fine but likely one had just dropped enough to trigger the sensor.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

To revive an old thread, time has come for the 4 year service (how time flies!).  service manual shows all 4 filters need changing now (oil, air, pollen, fuel) and the quote has come in at about £375.  Diesel filter part alone is apparently £100 - I thought the Mk2 filters were expensive but this is something else.  The garage (regular local independent guy) suggested skipping the fuel filter for now, especially as I am quite a bit lower than the recommended 36,000 miles at 4 years.  The car has run perfectly until now and I could get the fuel filter done at 6 years if I still have the car by then.  I only changed it twice in 12 years on my Mk 2 and it was never an problem.

Any thoughts on this approach (rereading the thread from 2 years ago, please don't go back down the "free" breakdown assistance rabbit hole)?

Sounds like a reasonable idea.

There is also a small chance that you may be able to buy an after market fuel filter that would be just as good and probably less than half the Ford price.

For example:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/21016725630

Thanks Unofix.  Bit of a strange one that your link and Halfords show this simple looking filter at cheapish prices (ECP and FC4L don't bring up anything on their searches) but my parts websites in my country bring up something completely different:

image.thumb.png.d9b24bbb8d7da2d621d70fbd409a9446.png

versus:

image.thumb.png.44752ddd1ded0e7ab42a0d54dbfe4471.png

Is one just a replacement internals to fit the other?

You seem to have the same engine as me, have you had your 4 year service done yet and how did that go?

image.png

2 hours ago, south_bound said:

Is one just a replacement internals to fit the other?

No.  The replacement paper cartridges come in a filter housing with easy-open plastic lids.  The metal canister filter is a sealed item without a replaceable cartridge inside.

I'm not sure which type your car will use so probably best to check yourself.  If you can't see a filter on the top, the Transits had one underneath, next to the oil filter.

2 hours ago, south_bound said:

You seem to have the same engine as me, have you had your 4 year service done yet and how did that go?

Yes car had it's 4 year service earlier this year at Bristol Street Motors, main Ford dealer. I will see if I can find the invoice and see if the fuel filter was itemised.

Thanks both.  Mark seems to have the expensive fuel filter fitted.  Also curious about the personalised customer video, did they say "Hi Mark" at the beginning to make it personal?

I'll take a look at the handbook and into the engine bay to try find it and see what type I have fitted.

1 hour ago, south_bound said:

Thanks both.  Mark seems to have the expensive fuel filter fitted.  Also curious about the personalised customer video, did they say "Hi Mark" at the beginning to make it personal?

I'll take a look at the handbook and into the engine bay to try find it and see what type I have fitted.

Sort of,  the video is of a mechanic going round your car showing them checking tyre tread depth and the underside of your car.

I've not found it useful, but maybe on an older car they could say look here your shocks are leaking or this pipe is broken type of thing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club