Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P1262 engine malfunction

n_hudson

Just filled up with diesel drive 20 miles and broke down. Code that comes up is p1262, cylinder 2, high to low short.

google says it could be a failed injector, wiring or even fuel filter? 

Anyone has anything similar?

Anyone had to replace an injector, code it etc? How much was it roughly? Thanks :)

Same problem  but 1261 no1 injector hi to low short.

Just bought s/h injector waiting  delivery .

Main thing seams to be do not re code. 

Old injector out all cleaned up waiting for replacement. 

Side note

on the fuel return connections to each injector there is a green plastic  butterfly.

I used a piece of wire bent into a U shape then slipped it around the butterfly and up then bent the wire so I  could get my fingers under the hooks

Slight pressure and a bit of a wiggle soon had the butterfly's coming up to be level with the blue section.

Then a gentle upward pressure popped the connectors of the leak off pipes .

To reinstall  you would push down on the Blue bit making sure it's locating properly

Over the O ring once its down 

You push down on the butterfly to lock in place.

Don't force as they are easily SNAPPED then it's a new kit £17 from main dealer .

My injector is badly carboned up at the tip .

Fault 1261 no1 injector  hi to low short .

RAC man says the 2 solenoids it the injector have burnt out. 😳 

Once again I  was told if you are fitting a s/h injector .

DO NOT RECODE.

I had it at Ford today, they cleared faults road tested car. Drove fine and no codes. I don’t have the confidence to do it myself.

Why did they clear the codes and leave it? This code means the injector has failed internally and needs replacing 

1 hour ago, n_hudson said:

they cleared faults road tested car. Drove fine and no codes

??? clearing the code has not fixed the fault - it will be back, sooner than you probably expect.

3 hours ago, Ian Lockley said:

Once again I  was told if you are fitting a s/h injector .

DO NOT RECODE.

Why ? it is after all a calibration figure and it is the car you are inputing the data too not the injector.

I can believe that the calibration factor will not be exact for a second hand injector but it must surely be more acurate than leaving the car with the calibration data of the injector that has been replaced?

9 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

Why did they clear the codes and leave it? This code means the injector has failed internally and needs replacing 

When they started it up and drove it, it drove with no issues. The codes where only stored, not active. 

if it had failed and was a permanent fault, wouldn’t it still be chugging and misfiring?

14 hours ago, n_hudson said:

When they started it up and drove it, it drove with no issues. The codes where only stored, not active. 

if it had failed and was a permanent fault, wouldn’t it still be chugging and misfiring?

It should be yes, it's more than likely the internals of the injector have moved slightly and the fault has stopped. I've never  known this code not to return as it does indicate an internal failure 🤔 

See how you get on I guess, whilst it's not faulting it's not costing you money 😂

17 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

It should be yes, it's more than likely the internals of the injector have moved slightly and the fault has stopped. I've never  known this code not to return as it does indicate an internal failure 🤔 

See how you get on I guess, whilst it's not faulting it's not costing you money 😂

It’s getting sold for spares as soon as I get it back lol. It’s someone else’s little project then. 

im going to run a few bottles of cleaner thru the tank first. 

Done nearly 400 miles now, initially took it slow, but steadily giving it some beans to work her. Change fuel filter, apparently it hadn’t been changed in some time and was absolutely filthy, despite on the service docs saying it had. I’ve put some stp cleaner in 3/4 tank to see if that does anything and I’ll probably do it every second tank. The wiring and connections have been checked and the garage think it was a slight blockage that has now worked through the system. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club