Can anyone please tell me if my car has collette calipers

No, it has a regular "fixed" caliper made by ATE

17 minutes ago, FatHead1979 said:

No, it has a regular "fixed" caliper made by ATE

You mean "floating" caliper 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Luke4efc said:

You mean "floating" caliper 😉

As it turns out, yes that is what I meant.  Although at the time I genuinely just meant, not the type the op asked about 🤣

Thanks for your replies, I need to buy a tool for pushing the brake caliper pistons back to replace discs and pads and the one I saw on amazon stated " not suitable for collette calipers" , I think the fronts are push back and the rears are wind back can you recommend a tool for this

many thanks Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Hughes said:

Thanks for your replies, I need to buy a tool for pushing the brake caliper pistons back to replace discs and pads and the one I saw on Amazon stated " not suitable for collette calipers" , I think the fronts are push back and the rears are wind back can you recommend a tool for this

many thanks Bill

Correct, the fronts just push back (I just used a small freestanding clamp for my fronts) and the rears sort of "screw" back in rather than needing to be pressed back like the fronts.  Unless the inside of your rear calipers are REALLY corroded/nasty you should be able to do do what I did, which was just use some needle nose pliers to "screw" the piston back into the caliper.  A bit of pressure was also needed to get it started but by applying moderate pressure I was able to screw them both back with any problems.  (also saves you spending £££ for a kit you might only use once every 3-4 years)

Thanks Damian it's the fronts I'm doing now so it does'nt seem to be that much of a problem,  since posting the topic I've seen a youtube video where a guy used a skeleton gun to press the piston in, I'll let you know how that goes.

Cheers mate   Bill

• Like 1

For the sake of £16, I'd just buy the full kit (like this one). It comes with adapters for pretty much every caliper out there, and saves the frustration of trying to use the wrong tool.

It also includes 2 rewind tools, one right hand and the other left hand thread. Some rear calipers use a left hand thread, so a normal windback tool won't work. It's always fun determining whether you have a piston with a left hand thread, or is just a bit stiff to get going haha.

I guess it all depends on whether you intend doing the rears at some point too ??? If you are then I agree with Luke, spend the £16 and get the wind-back tool, if not then do like I have been doing for the past 40 years and just use a large flat-blade screwdriver to prise the piston back in...it doesn't matter that you will damage the pads (or even scratch the disc) as you are replacing them anyway !!

All sound advice but as you say Phil it's not a problem damaging the old discs and pads, as a matter of interest this was my late father-in laws car and he had all the pads replaced at 34,250 miles it has now done 101.731 miles and the rears are fine, mind you he was a plodder to save fuel 

thanks for all the advice guys     Cheers   Bill

• Like 1

Job done used a long flat tyre lever and a block of wood but would have been easier with the right tool, surprisingly the pads were only about 2/3 worn but the discs were shot ( the originals ) 

Cheers  Bill

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club