Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford fiesta mk6 1.4 zetec engine water in spark plug well in spark plug well

SparkEli

About 4 months ago my car made a banging noise and it turned out that 2 of the spark plugs had blew out. The threaded part of the spark plug was still in the engine but the other part had been blown out. I got my local garage to repair this as I didn't have the tools or skill to remove the old thread and to fix that issue. 

Since then there has been smoke/ steam coming from under the bonnet. The oil has been coming out from the rocker cover and also there has been coolant loss. When I checked the thermostat and the thermostat housing it was obvious the coolant had been leaking from there. It took a lot of effort to replace these because of the tight location. I removed the driver's side headlight for better access. I didn't want to remove the alternator because I don't think I would have been able to have got the aux belt back on. 

I decided to remove the rocker cover to replace the gasket in the hope this would resolve the issue. Unfortunately when I removed the rocker cover there is a lot of rust in the spark plug well. There is water around the spark plugs and I am not sure on the reason this is or how to rectify it. I have read online that replacing the core plugs will help and also the washer jets can leak too. 

Has anyone got any advice on what my next steps should be? What is the best way of removing the rust from the spark plug well? 

TIA 🙂

10 hours ago, SparkEli said:

my car made a banging noise and it turned out that 2 of the spark plugs had blew out. The threaded part of the spark plug was still in the engine but the other part had been blown out.

Well that's a first, never heard of that happening before. Did the 2 plugs both break at the same time ?

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a cylinder head gasket blown.  Water got into 2 cylinders and hydro locked the plugs out. But after repair why has it not happened again?this is odd. You need to run the engine with the bonnet up until its upto temp then observe try to see where the water is escaping, but the head gasket sounds like the culprit there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club