Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission limited function

danielhsummerson

As I put more pressure on the accelerator the car stops speeding up and just revs high. Now it's sluggish and seems to put coming out of gear. On the dash it comes up transmission limited function and on a diagnostic machine the faults p0700 and p042f are coming up. Only bought it back in February. I need help

How many miles has it done?

Is the fluid at the correct level?

Has the fluid been changed?

Did you use the correct fluid?

Ensure battery is good as a poor battery can seriously affect the performance of the transmission.

It's done 105k. 

Only bought it back in February.

Can all these issues cause these faults. Was told it could be a slipping clutch

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Ensure battery is good as a poor battery can seriously affect the performance of the transmission.

At 105K miles I would like to bet it is a very, very, very long time since the automatic gearbox had a full service. Just like the engine they do require service which includes replacment of the transmission fluid and the filter (if fitted).

Also as @DaveT70 has said have you full charged the battery (24 hours) or replaced it ? The control of the automatic gearbox is electronic and a low or poor battery will cause gear selection problems.

Is checking the oil a simple job or does a professional have to do it

1 hour ago, danielhsummerson said:

Is checking the oil a simple job or does a professional have to do it

Probably simple once you know how LOL.

Register with Ford Etis, enter your VIN or reg number and it will give you the details of your vehicle, including what transmission is fitted.

Then just search that transmission on youtube and it will tell you on there.

Poor battery can cause lots of issues.

If it's the clutch(es) I would imagine you would be experiencing slip in all gears, if it's one or two then that would point to selector issues

Poor battery performance can cause issues galore with these.

Just run through all the items I listed before, BEFORE you spend any money

P042F relates to EGR valve stuck, but electrical performance could cause this too.

battery 1st!!!!

• 3 months later...

Hi 

I have 2015 galaxy zetec, changed gearbox oil and filter 45k miles ago by tch ford garage , and now recently the transmission limited malfunction sign is coming on, does it need another gearbox service? It didnt come up before. i had gearbox service done as i had bought the car then

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2021 at 7:51 AM, DaveT70 said:

How many miles has it done?

Did you use the correct fluid?

My galaxy keeps coming up when is start engine with transmission limited then I can’t get over 20mph but today it did it while driving! I had a new battery after the snow as it killed the battery! I turn the engine off and it goes back to normal I’m a big nervous to drive now! I had it put on a computer in the mechanics and no faults came up??? 

14 hours ago, Leigh-ann said:

My galaxy keeps coming up when is start engine with transmission limited then I can’t get over 20mph but today it did it while driving! I had a new battery after the snow as it killed the battery! I turn the engine off and it goes back to normal I’m a big nervous to drive now! I had it put on a computer in the mechanics and no faults came up??? 

Hi, Ensure all the connections from the battery are good and the earth points are clean and secure.

Follow this procedure to reset

If that doesn't work, then suspect wiring damage, normally on the LH front wheelarch connector

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club