Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smax starting issue

Nufcchris

Hi all Chris here, my 2013 smax has just hit 100k miles so decided to get a new timing belt kit fitted, also a new battery
mechanic came to me to do the work a week ago, he done the timing belt and battery as required problem is now the car won’t start.

He said that the timing has been setup correctly and must be some other issue which the car has honestly never missed a beat the whole time I’ve owned it. Tried another new battery today and still nothing had it on diagnostics no faults at all.

Today it also said in the dash that basically it couldn’t find a key which was approximately 6 inches away from the start button, I then replaced the battery in the key to make sure it wasn’t that and still nothing.

Any thoughts on this would be a massive help thank you all 🙂 

Hi Chris, it would be more than a fair guess to say either (a) the timing is out, or (b) there is a battery problem.

The battery in the key is only for the remote lock/unlock. You could take the battery out of the key and the car would still find it and start.

So after the new battery was fitted did you fully charge it for 24 hours ? and then did you reset the battery monitor so that the car now knows it has a new battery ?

If the answer to both the above points is yes then you can tick them off the list and move on to the possible timing issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi there sorry didn’t realise I had a reply, the timing was setup incorrectly, but we stripped the top end down to check cams and valves, which were totally fine so built it back up set the timing up correctly and it still won’t start. Which has now got my head puzzled as the car has never ever had any problems. What I have noticed that where the fuel filter goes had about an inch of diesel in the bottom which apparently should be full. So now possibly looking at maybe a fuel pump issue, I’m really not sure.

You have to prime the fuel filter.

The pump can not draw fuel through the system on its own. If the fuel lines have air in them and the filter is empty then buy a hand prime pump.

The mechanic that has been doing the work for me tried that, seems to be a lot of air bubbles coming through and he said that there is diesel at the injectors, it’s honestly got me baffled. I did try the Ford converse test today after watching a video on YouTube but didn’t have a clue what I was looking for haha 

2 hours ago, Nufcchris said:

seems to be a lot of air bubbles coming through and he said that there is diesel at the injectors, it’

Car will never start with air in the fuel line. There is fuel in the tank? 

Also think you need a different mechanic 

So if I was to buy one of these hand pumps for fuel? What do I do to get the fuel through and bubbles out?? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Nufcchris said:

So if I was to buy one of these hand pumps for fuel? What do I do to get the fuel through and bubbles out?? Thanks 

Fuel return pipe joint/connector is beside fuel filter. Connect pump to pipe coming from hp pump and injector leak off side...  use pump to suck fuel from tank through filter through hp pump  etc..

• Like 1

So done a check on my smax and this is the result.. Woukd these results relate to not starting?? 

68515A5E-3638-4C56-91B0-F362CA66C8C2.jpeg

4CA55184-9032-4449-AAC6-4B00499F9DDF.jpeg

4A98D915-3AFE-4349-A58E-DB522E7E0C9F.jpeg

DCA36C19-3358-4D04-A2AC-DFF158724006.jpeg

That's a lot of DTCs o.O

I bought a hand pump before I changed my fuel filter.... but it self primed after about 30 secs so didn't  need it....  are you pulling air in somewhere along the line?

Really not sure, the car was totally fine never ever had anything wrong with it until the first mechanic came and apparently replaced timing belt kit and a new battery. It’s literally got my head battered now haha 

On 10/29/2021 at 2:51 AM, unofix said:

There is fuel in the tank? 

Also think you need a different mechanic 

• 4 weeks later...

Right I’ve had another mechanic come look at it, the timing is all setup correctly but he did mention something else, the speed position sensor ring behind the bottom pulley has to put back on in the correct place using a special tool as he had this problem a while ago with a Ford kuga and it ended up being this. So just waiting for him to come try it. Anyone else heard of this or had this problem?? Thanks 

• Like 1

It sounds possible, I assume he is referring to the crankshaft position. Let us all know what the out come is.

Pleased to know you now have a different mechanic.

Yeah that’s hopefully what it is as all of this was stripped off when the first cowboy attempted a belt kit change, so my fingers are well and truly crossed and she is back in the road soon, I’ll keep yous informed thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club