Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

''Over The Top'' film - Model truck. [Finished with pictures attached]

Ian Lanc

For years I've loved the film ''Over The Top'' but for me it's the truck that makes the film a success, as an avid model maker I've decided to give it a blast in making a 1/25th replica of this truck, using the AMT Autocar A64B Tractor, this isn't a simple build because everything on the film truck is different to the kit, the front suspension has to be moved forwards, front end chopped off and everything brought forwards - totally different wheels - front wheel arches lowered - huge bull bars being made - custom made decals - pair of exhausts which are made from Parker pens - interior to match as in the film - chassis altered - different door mirrors radiator different - hawk to me made for the radiator.....The list seems endless 🤔 

Anyone else love the film ?

s-l400 (1).jpg

240943249_831169714260922_4464434866834589140_n.jpg

DSC01829.JPG

DSC01826.JPG

DSC01824.JPG

DSC01821.JPG

DSC01820.JPG

DSC01837.JPG

DSC01833.JPG

• Like 2

hell of a lot of work gone in to that mate, I truly admire your dedication and without any pressure; I'm looking forward to seeing this progress through time,

thanks for beginning to share this with us.

• Like 2

I will be following this too. Sounds like a lot of work, and planning! Already sounds brilliant though, Parker pen barrels for the exhausts is genius.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BigLen said:

hell of a lot of work gone in to that mate, I truly admire your dedication and without any pressure

It seems to be two steps forward then ten steps backwards as I come across differences to the kit and the actual truck, the actual truck's engine setup is different to the kit, in the kit it's a usual diesel engine, but the actual truck is turbo charged with pipe work and a manifold running to the exhausts, something that isn't in the kit so got to be scratch made - The rear of the chassis has also been cut off leaving it much shorter than the kit chassis.

A good friend who is a genius at making the decals for this truck has made them all, even the rear mudflap text has been replicated.

243083040_944725619451776_3794332943190627860_n.jpg

DSC01844.JPG

DSC01843.JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I will be following this too. Sounds like a lot of work, and planning! Already sounds brilliant though, Parker pen barrels for the exhausts is genius.

Thanks 🙂 The exhausts was actually my Son's idea, didn't think it would work, but after cutting up the parts and did a test fit they looked well, the outer mesh is alloy repair patch as used on cars.

I'll keep the interested with updates.

• Thanks 1

A few more pics to show how far I am with the model! Spent a few good hours scratch making the front/rear mudguards.

No more work is needed on the engine.
Front altered radiator now complete.
Parker pen exhausts complete with scratch made grab handles & resin lower exhaust mounts.
Not taking the wheels any further, not weathering them to death.
Rear of chassis chopped away to match the real truck.

In the film on the steering wheel there's one single hand grip, you know them things for making your hand stronger, I've also added that, it's under the steering wheel arn, if you look close enough you'll see it, the stereo in the cab is scratch made, set at an angle with wires going into the back, like in the film.

DSC01866.JPG

DSC01865.JPG

DSC01864.JPG

DSC01863.JPG

DSC01862.JPG

DSC01861.JPG

DSC01860.JPG

DSC01859.JPG

DSC01858.JPG

DSC01857.JPG

DSC01856.JPG

DSC01855.JPG

DSC01854.JPG

DSC01851.JPG

DSC01850.JPG

DSC01849.JPG

243083040_944725619451776_3794332943190627860_n (1).jpg

• Like 1

Miniature hawk hood ornament now complete, well smart that is, the bird is 3D printed, wings cut off and re-positioned.

Front/rear scratch made mudguards complete.

Rear mudguards with the custom 'one off' decals fitted, they have turned out well, a little trimming needed.

Main headlamps complete.

Thanks for anyone popping in for a look at this movie model replica.

DSC01885.JPG

DSC01882.JPG

DSC01880.JPG

DSC01877.JPG

DSC01876.JPG

DSC01875.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Not done a great deal with the model, had three seizures and ended up in hospital, been suffering since and can't walk a great deal.

Cab & radiator are now firmly fixed to the chassis.

DSC01891.JPG

DSC01890.JPG

DSC01889.JPG

DSC01888.JPG

DSC01886.JPG

Heck! I've just found out that the chassis is too short on this kit 🙄 🤔 🥵

So I've got the cut both chassis rails using a razor saw, extend the chassis by 1 inch then adding reinforcing on the inside and plating on the outside 😲

It's coming on really well! Thanks for updating the thread. Sorry to hear you haven't been too well, hope you feel back to 'normal' soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It's coming on really well! Thanks for updating the thread. Sorry to hear you haven't been too well, hope you feel back to 'normal' soon.

Still suffering with my back, had xrays on the lower section, nothing broken but the pain is intolerable, hardly sleeping at all 😳 I'm only pain free when I'm sat upright, laying down is impossible.

Back to the model......Chassis rails cut and supports added.

DSC01919.JPG

DSC01918.JPG

DSC01917.JPG

Back pain is a horrible thing, I've broken my back 3 times now. I have a fentanyl pain relief patch and a heap of tablets, so I can sympathise. 

Your model is looking great, unfortunately I don't have a steady hand so wouldn't be able to even attempt a model like that. So intricate and full of detail, and then you make it more difficult for yourself by personalising it. My limit is Lego models lol. 

Here is the one I've just completed and also the one I'm currently working on. I'll only post the once, I don't want to derail your amazing post. 

20211109_164202.jpg

20211109_164219.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Back pain is a horrible thing, I've broken my back 3 times now. I have a fentanyl pain relief patch and a heap of tablets, so I can sympathise. 

Your model is looking great, unfortunately I don't have a steady hand so wouldn't be able to even attempt a model like that. So intricate and full of detail, and then you make it more difficult for yourself by personalising it. My limit is Lego models lol. 

Here is the one I've just completed and also the one I'm currently working on. I'll only post the once, I don't want to derail your amazing post. 

At the moment if I look down or up or left/right it's like I'm being electrocuted, so using my eyes to look about...Like the Action Man with the Eagle Eyes 🤣 

Broke your back three times!! You not a motorcyclist racing freak are you ? A friend of mine 'used' to race but after several crashes over the years he's packed up racing altogether, by orders of his wife, she wants to see him grow old and not visit a headstone, he's broke his lower back twice and his neck once.

I've never heard of Fentanyl pain relief patches, must look into this because I also suffer with Spondylosis of the lower spine, been suffering in pain for ten years now and all I take is 90mg dihydrocodeine & 500mg Paracetamol, also have an injection in my spine every six months to kill the pain.

I don't mind the post showing the Lego stuff, love Lego vehicles and ships, can't understand why they are so expensive though, spotted the new Titanic model but hell fire its £700 🤔 

4 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

At the moment if I look down or up or left/right it's like I'm being electrocuted, so using my eyes to look about...Like the Action Man with the Eagle Eyes 🤣 

Broke your back three times!! You not a motorcyclist racing freak are you ? A friend of mine 'used' to race but after several crashes over the years he's packed up racing altogether, by orders of his wife, she wants to see him grow old and not visit a headstone, he's broke his lower back twice and his neck once.

I've never heard of Fentanyl pain relief patches, must look into this because I also suffer with Spondylosis of the lower spine, been suffering in pain for ten years now and all I take is 90mg dihydrocodeine & 500mg Paracetamol, also have an injection in my spine every six months to kill the pain.

I don't mind the post showing the Lego stuff, love Lego vehicles and ships, can't understand why they are so expensive though, spotted the new Titanic model but hell fire its £700 🤔 

I remember those action men, had a few myself. They were worth a fortune when I sold mine 🙂

Nevef been on a bike in my life lol. It's my lower back that I broke, had to learn to walk again. Wheelchair and a back brace for 8months, managing better now though. I'm like the guy in 'unbreakable', brittle bones. I've broken ribs just by bending over. 

Fentanyl is a lot stronger than morphine, it's good stuff lol. I'm also taking dihydrocodeine, paracetamol and diazepam, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 

Believe it or not this is only the first 2 models I've done, 40yrs old and just getting into Lego! I've got 2 excavators on order and a cement mixer on the way. Then I think it will be a Defender followed by the F150. The cost is ridiculous though!

• Like 1

I'm like the guy in 'unbreakable', brittle bones. I've broken ribs just by bending over. 

Believe it or not this is only the first 2 models I've done, 40yrs old and just getting into Lego! I've got 2 excavators on order and a cement mixer on the way. Then I think it will be a Defender followed by the F150. The cost is ridiculous though!

My missus is 60 and unbeknown to her she has brittle bone disease, only diagnosed three months ago but she has broken bones no end of times over the years, wasn't until she fell over five months ago on the garden and broke her wrist and sprained her ankle, best thing is she fell on grass, not concrete, she was refered to the hospital where she was told about her problem 🤕 She's been told to never run or carry anything heavy.

Son is a gaffer in a scrap metal recycling yard, last year he came across a large box of Lego with numerous instructions for different big vehicles, one of the workers was going to bin the lot, Son instead jumped on the box full of bits, no way was he going to sort the bits out, but listed the entire lot on eBay, he had no idea what they would fetch, but he was shocked to see the winning bid was £180....People have no idea what they have!

On with the truck.

Scratch made a pair of side steps, these go between the fuel tank & front wheel arch. Scratch made rear cab protector, nothing is simple 🤥

DSC01914.JPG

DSC01913.JPG

DSC01915.JPG

2 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

My missus is 60 and unbeknown to her she has brittle bone disease, only diagnosed three months ago but she has broken bones no end of times over the years, wasn't until she fell over five months ago on the garden and broke her wrist and sprained her ankle, best thing is she fell on grass, not concrete, she was refered to the hospital where she was told about her problem 🤕 She's been told to never run or carry anything heavy.

Son is a gaffer in a scrap metal recycling yard, last year he came across a large box of Lego with numerous instructions for different big vehicles, one of the workers was going to bin the lot, Son instead jumped on the box full of bits, no way was he going to sort the bits out, but listed the entire lot on ebay, he had no idea what they would fetch, but he was shocked to see the winning bid was £180....People have no idea what they have!

On with the truck.

Scratch made a pair of side steps, these go between the fuel tank & front wheel arch. Scratch made rear cab protector, nothing is simple 🤥

DSC01914.JPG

DSC01913.JPG

DSC01915.JPG

You would have been better off looking for a box of 'bits' yourself to make this truck lol, it's nearly all custom parts anyway. I really can't wait to see the finished product. You must have the patience of a saint, once I start the build I can't wait to finish it. Although my 'projects' are not in the same league as yours!

Ive been told the same as your wife, no running or lifting and definitely no falling over haha. I knew I had brittle bones, was diagnosed at age 35 and allegedly treated. My first fracture injury was very dramatic, and a little amusing now I look back. I was in hospital, had been in ITU on a ventilator for over a week due to my asthma, when I came round I was taken to the ward and put in a side room, to which they closed the door and curtains 🤦🏻‍♂️ I was groggy and extremely weak and disorientated, I don't remember the full sequence of events but I'm lead to believe I tried to get out of bed and I fell backwards onto the arm of a chair - that's what did the damage. I know I lay on the floor for over half an hour before anyone found me, and then spent another 60mins on the floor while they figured out how to lift me without further damage. You would think that a hospital would be able to do that without a problem, but no, they actually got an ambulance round and for the paramedics to do it! Whisked off to x-ray all strapped down on a board and was left in a corridor with a student nurse, because I was still very groggy and they had given me more morphine for the back pain my airway collapsed and I stopped breathing, that nursing student saved my life. He noticed immediately and secured my airway until the emergency team arrived and managed to restart my heart. You couldn't actually make this up, it's completely unbelievable. I've had to leave my job as a senior nurse on an emergency surgical ward because of my injuries. 

20211110_164608.jpg

• Sad 1

Latest updates:

Rear cab guard is now complete, this has steel chains & real working chain stretchers.

DSC01928.JPG

DSC01922.JPG

DSC01921.JPG

• Like 1

Chassis filled and back to full strength wobbled like jelly before it was strengthened. Also had to make a longer propshaft.

DSC01932.JPG

DSC01925.JPG

DSC01924.JPG

DSC01920.JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Your attention to detail is stunning 👏👏👏

I try my best Kevin, to make very good representations of any type, be it a car or motorbike or aircraft.....Well anything really 🤔 

• Like 1

Well I made the front bullbar and thought it looked great but when I offered it up to the front I noticed it was too wide at the bottom & to narrow at the top, so had to cut it up and remake it, it now looks correct and is finished with the plates & lights fitted.

Scratch made the longer tool/chainbox which is fitted to the chassis, also finished the wiring & compressor pipes & side runner lights.

Side step plates finished & painted.

Oh! The truck is now ''FINISHED'' 🥰

DSC01943.JPG

DSC01939.JPG

DSC01938.JPG

DSC01944.JPG

DSC01942.JPG

DSC01941.JPG

DSC01940.JPG

• Like 2

Here you go to everyone who's looked in 🤗 Really enjoyed making a true 'one off' model of Stallone's truck 💪

Clicking on the image/s will make them bigger.

DSC01996.JPG

DSC01992.JPG

DSC01998.JPG

DSC01999.JPG

DSC02000.JPG

DSC02001.JPG

DSC02002.JPG

DSC02003.JPG

DSC01990.JPG

DSC01991.JPG

DSC01993.JPG

DSC01994.JPG

DSC01995.JPG

DSC01997.JPG

• Like 4

Great job, it looks brilliant! Any plans to add working lights etc?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Great job, it looks brilliant! Any plans to add working lights etc?

Not really Jon, adding lights is something that needs to be done during the build, so to add working lights now would wreck the model.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, Ian Lanc said:

Not really Jon, adding lights is something that needs to be done during the build, so to add working lights now would wreck the model.

I put some lights on my Jeep, just because lol. It's much easier on Lego though, and you can buy custom kits. Iade my own little light Rog though with a few 5mm LEDs and a 9v battery 

20211119_221231.jpg

20211119_221218.jpg

• Like 1