Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Runs great but 10mpg ?, I Replaced the alternator with a motorcraft all is good but battery light comes on and stays on,?


Browning
 Share

Recommended Posts

I ran the car for over a year with 4 of the diodes b but it was making enought power to run the car at 12.5v but now exceserery s like fan blower ect so I replaced the alternator with Ford original one a smart one all is good now ,but the battery lite comes on about 10 sec.latter! Check out the output and all is good@13.6v+- but consistent. Now my gas mileage is off the chart at 10mpg around town 24mpg on hiway ,its a2000 fual injections, automatic transmission ,78000 mil runs good no signs Of exsess fuel in the tail pipe? I reset the ecu as best I could ! 1 hr battary disconnected started it no thradle 4 15min no change ? What's up I need ideas! can I reload the oprating system for the computer? Hit me back thanks lbcolarry@gmail.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm curious, is the mileage you quote taken from the cars 'computer', or, have you actually brimmed the tank, driven a bit, and refilled calculating the actual MPG rather than what a computer chip says?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you've reset the ECU it will take a while for it to re-learn the fuel trims and the gearbox shift points. You could use a OBD device to reset the gearbox, the engine will sort itself eventually but you'd be better off using OBD to reset the misfire parameters etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 1:08 AM, StephenFord said:

I'm curious, is the mileage you quote taken from the cars 'computer', or, have you actually brimmed the tank, driven a bit, and refilled calculating the actual MPG rather than what a computer chip says?

Yes I mileage decided by gal fual many times, on The hiway I got 24mpg 390mile drive . The quote is 38mpg hiway! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And now my electric system is right,and I reset the ecu to correct the mpg,but same results are accurring or no change. Tail pipe is running clean no signs of exsess fuel use?  One more thing battery light is coming on 20sec. After start ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Browning said:

And now my electric system is right,and I reset the ecu to correct the mpg,but same results are accurring or no change. Tail pipe is running clean no signs of exsess fuel use?  One more thing battery light is coming on 20sec. After start ! 

Do you have any means of checking the battery voltage 1st with the engine off and 2nd with the engine running before the light comes on finally 3rd with the light on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 4:04 AM, Browning said:

Now my gas mileage is off the chart at 10mpg around town 24mpg on hiway

Are we talking about a UK gallon of Petrol or a USA gallon of Gasoline ?

UK 1 gallon = USA 0.833 gallon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take it it's a MK2 Focus (or the daft thing you got in the USA after the MK1) and the 4 speed auto.

1st thing I would do is make sure the car is properly serviced;

Good new oil & filter

New (Correct) spark plugs and HT leads

New Air Filter

Clean the MAF sensor

Clean the throttle body

then, ensure the transmission fluid is good, if not change

Then see how you get on.

To get real world fuel economy figures:

Fill fuel tank to first click

Reset trip mileage

Drive as normal for about 100 miles

Go back to same pump and fill back to first click

Work out how many miles you did on the amount of fuel you had to put back in to first click on Pump.

That's your true MPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, DaveT70 said:

To get real world fuel economy figures:

Fill fuel tank to first click

Reset trip mileage

Drive as normal for about 100 miles

Go back to same pump and fill back to first click

Work out how many miles you did on the amount of fuel you had to put back in to first click on Pump.

That's your true MPG

Oh dear, are you suggesting that our American cousins don't know how to measure their fuel consumption?? LOL 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Oh dear, are you suggesting that our American cousins don't know how to measure their fuel consumption?? LOL 🤣

They can't do.

It looks like he's going off the fuel computer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hearsepilot said:

Not so sound observation, he typed "hiway"

If he's American, poor spelling is to be expected! For goodness sake, they don't even put a 'U' in colour! LOL 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership