Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key fob battery warning

hiace_drifter

When I get into my 14 plate focus I get a message saying the keyfob battery needs replacing ... but I have tested the battery and it is 90%... do i ignore the warning? Change the battery anyway? Thanks!

26 minutes ago, hiace_drifter said:

When I get into my 14 plate focus I get a message saying the keyfob battery needs replacing ... but I have tested the battery and it is 90%... do i ignore the warning? Change the battery anyway? Thanks!

When you say, 90%, what is the specific voltage? A fresh out of the box battery will usually read 3.3v, anything less than 2.9v is worth replacing...

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

When you say, 90%, what is the specific voltage? A fresh out of the box battery will usually read 3.3v, anything less than 2.9v is worth replacing...

I checked it on a battery tester (shows a digital scale from 0-20 approx). I'll fish out the multi meter and get a bit more scientific! thanks 🙂

I would suggest changing the battery, use a decent brand though as cheap batteries don't last very long.

I agree with frembrit, had lots of trouble on my wife’s Mazda 2 until I bought Duracell instead of cheap ones. But get from a proper shop. Buying branded makes on eBay etc is a bit of a lottery on fake stuff

2 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

energizer & panasonic are the best

Duracell are best, and I'm always right! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hiace_drifter said:

That type of battery will read full voltage up to the point it fails, if it reads lower than spec then its expired.

• Confused 1

I haven’t tried all makes but the Duracell in my wife’s Mazda 2 has lasted about 5 years. It’s just getting iffy now. It’s an annoying size 1620 . No supermarkets / high street shops seem to do that size. Just ordered on eBay but might be fake, will have to wait and see how well it works/lasts

8 minutes ago, isetta said:

I haven’t tried all makes but the Duracell in my wife’s Mazda 2 has lasted about 5 years. It’s just getting iffy now. It’s an annoying size 1620 . No supermarkets / high street shops seem to do that size.

May (or may not) interest you to know that the ref number gives much detail. 1st 2 x digits are diameter in mm, and last 2, are the thickness in 1/10 mm. Once you know that you can temporarily bodge a battery if immediate fit not to hand! :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Duracell are best

Agreed. Funny thing is my Key Low battery warning has just come up this morning. Will have to call in to Pound Land and get a quality replacment 😂

• Haha 2

Hi Stephen, yes I was aware of the sizes in the code. Eg if you need a 2032 and you only have a 2016 then it will do the job (but not last as long) . But 1620 is an unusual one, I don’t think there are others of the same diameter. 

9 hours ago, isetta said:

Hi Stephen, yes I was aware of the sizes in the code. Eg if you need a 2032 and you only have a 2016 then it will do the job (but not last as long) . But 1620 is an unusual one, I don’t think there are others of the same diameter. 

It is unusual, though I have 3 x '16's (20, 32, 16) in my battery box, all bought online as you just can't buy then in store any longer...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club