Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash cam troubles

DT_80

Hi, 

2012 focus 1.0 econetic (uk). 

Trying to hardwire dashcam. Everyone talks about fuse 61 (cigarette lighter) but the piggy back fitting is physically too big to fit into the fuse socket. I'm using the correct size adapter, it's the plastic it is housed in that won't fit into the fuse box. 

What else can I try? I've already tried 85 and 86 and get zero power from either (dash cam isn't charging off them).

I added a couple of photos so you can see what I mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20211008_173750.jpg

20211008_173744.jpg

You may have to file the housing of the fuse holder a little to make it fit. 

Just going over the basics, sorry if it's patronising but when you tried the other fuse locations did you have fuses in both slots? You need fuses in both slots to complete the circuit. 

Thanks Jonro.

I did think of shaving the edge off but it would end up with barely (if any) insulation on that side of the plug...

When you say both slots do you mean 2 fuses into adapter? I tried with only one fuse which was the 20A from 61 socket, 10A from 85 and 7.5 from 86 (I think those were the fuses for the last 2). Or do I need 2 fuses inserted into the adapter?

• Like 1

The original fuse that you take out of the fusebox needs to go into the bottom slot (nearest the 2 pins) another fuse for your dashcam needs to go in the top slot. 

• Like 1

The fuse that you remove to insert the piggy back into needs to go into the lower slot of the piggy back and the fuse for the dashcam (2-5amp) goes in the top slot. 

• Like 1

forgive me if im wrong but that looks like its the wrong one are your fuses micro ? that looks like it takes larger fuses ?

• Like 1

Pcaoulte and Jonro, many thanks. I never put the 2A fuse in. Will try that in 85/86 again and see if it works. 

MrMetallica, thanks, I'm sure it is for the micro, it's just the angle the photo was taken at makes the slots look wider I think....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DT_80 said:

MrMetallica, thanks, I'm sure it is for the micro, it's just the angle the photo was taken at makes the slots look wider I think....

Looks like it could be the wrong size for your fuses

189766be00b3f5562fc2ec3ba755d30585eb4175

Try Halfords

Take yours there, and compare the size to the mini/micro one

https://www.halfords.com/search?q=dashcam+fuse

(Check link for Halford's search result)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Carl123 said:

Looks like it could be the wrong size for your fuses

189766be00b3f5562fc2ec3ba755d30585eb4175

Try Halfords

Take yours there, and compare the size to the mini/micro one

https://www.halfords.com/search?q=dashcam+fuse

(Check link for Halford's search result)

Nice one, I just checked and its the mini... not micro. Didn't even realise there were three types tbh... haven't had chance to test fit yet. Will try tomorrow in the day and let you know how I get on.

14 minutes ago, DT_80 said:

Nice one, I just checked and its the mini... not micro. Didn't even realise there were three types tbh... haven't had chance to test fit yet. Will try tomorrow in the day and let you know how I get on.

i thought it was wrong size

Hi guys,

Finally got around to hard wiring it correctly thanks to your advice. Went through fuse 86 (10A). 10A in bottom of piggy back connector, 2A in top, worked first time. Switches on/off with ignition. Can confirm this method works with Nextbase 522 cam though you have to set dashcam up correctly. Took 10 mins to sort the whole thing. 

Thanks for your help!

20211013_122132.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club